Forums are back in action! ×

Nerdy pull-up fanatic says "howdy!"

Hey everyone, just joined the forums and thought that it'd be good to introduce myself :)

So, fitness background:  Such a thing as a "fitness background" was non-existent for most of my life.  I was until fairly recently one of those skinny-yet-fat guys who wouldn't know a barbell from a mop handle and couldn't do a single push-up.  Flash-forward to a year ago, when I had something of a complete life collapse and had to fight very, very hard to pull myself out of it.

As part of that effort, I decided to get in shape for the first time.  I promptly tore a shoulder muscle following bad training advice, and during the rehab I read everything I could on fitness science from every source I could get my hands on.  For about the past six months I've been focusing almost entirely on body-weight exercises/diet with some strongman training and yoga/ mobility work thrown in for good measure.  I've lost about 30 pounds, I have muscles in places that I didn't even know I had, and I'm doing things I never thought in a million years that I would be able to do.  I feel like a brand new man!

Pretty soon I'm hoping to have the time and cash combination to take some muay thai and adult gymnastics lessons.

Nerd background: Somewhat more extensive than the fitness.  I've been running D&D campaigns since I was 13 (Greyhawk 4 LIF, yo!), I can *still* beat the original Super Mario Bros. on one or two lives, I'm currently working on a fantasy novel in what spare time isn't taken up by freaking pullups,  and I have watched every episode of every series of Star Trek.  In order.

My goals are mainly to meet and trade knowledge / support with other fitness-minded nerds, and I've so far enjoyed reading the other intro threads in this sub-forum. So many awesome people here :)

• Like 1

Welcome! It's really great that you've chosen to keep moving forward with fitness after such a terrible injury. Most people would have given up entirely! It'll be great to have you here :)

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

Current Challenge:  NicBot-5000 enters Recovery Mode

Previous Challenges: 12, 3,  4, 5, 6

PRE REBOOT CHALLENGES: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Various links and sundry: Battle log, Respawn post