Forums are back in action! ×

With a dashing hero like me

Hello!

I've just signed up for the Nerd Fitness email list, and I thought I'd give the forum a go too.

in 2012 and 2013 I was in a group training program subsidized by my employer, my employer had a gym, and in late 2012 I started taking parkour classes. I was doing really well, and was rather fit when I wore my Captain America costume for Halloween.

Then I got laid off at the end of October, 2013. So my gym and training sessions disappeared, and in an effort to save money, I stopped attending parkour classes.

So, I went fallow. Becoming sedentary was part of a few things that coalesced into a minor depressive episode in mid October this year. As part of getting better I want to go to the gym regularly. I've been going to sword fighting classes (yay Groupon), but that ends next week and I don't think I'll be able to afford continuing it next year. I've signed up for the gym at the school where I'll be attending graduate school. I'd like the motivation to get back to where I was in both physical and mental health, while still having fun.

Here's to getting healthy.

Level 5 Monk (Broadsword Focus), Level 1 Assassin

Battle Log | Fitness Tumblr

Challenges: Currens | Octavus | Septimum | Sextum | Quintum | Quartum | TertiumSecundum | Primum

The beauty of parkour you can do it anywhere. Parkour definably makes you have to get creative, especially if you live in the middle of nowhere, in a big city, or even little town. And philosophy behind it can really help one in their daily life.

So good luck on your quest and feel free to ask for help. These people are pretty amazing.

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

Yes, you CAN do it anywhere. You should throw a feeler out on craigslist, to see if there are more traceurs in the area. I know there are a couple groups near me that meet up regularly.

The forums are where you'll get most of your support from this site, so, welcome! There are a lot of great folks here and I think the Assassins or the Monks will take good care of you.

I am the Brawlus, goo goo, g'joob.

Oh geeze. I hadn't even considered the Monks. When I first heard of the classes I thought of what I would usually pick in an RPG, but as I learned abut them I figured I might want to multicass between the Rangers and the Assassins. But the Monks may be a great option too.

I approach my fitness goals as what kind of hero I'd like to be. And right now it's a solid tie between Solid Snake and Captain America. They're both generalists, capable in many ways but not necessarily the top of any one (physically at least).

I'll have to feel it out and see what fits best with my lifestyle of a full time job and scholarship.

Challenges: Currens | Octavus | Septimum | Sextum | Quintum | Quartum | TertiumSecundum | Primum

The great thing is you can always change classes if you start going down a different path.

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

They're very similar. Those that are the contemporary sports of fencing are derived from sword fighting, but they are no more than sports. This class is how to use a sword to incapacitate someone before they do the very same to yourself. It's a reconstructed historical martial art.

• Like 1