Forums are back in action! ×

how old is to old?

I'm 31 married with a 1 year old little boy who more than anything I want to inspire. I've worked at the same job for almost 10 years. But I can't stop thinking about quitting my job and going to college to play football. Oh and maybe get a degree. What do you think to old and slow at this point?

Can you afford college?  It's not cheap.  Loans suck.  And degrees don't necessarily guarantee jobs like they used to.

And can you afford to give up a stable income, especially with a 1 year old, to gamble on being able to make the cut for a college team while competing against 18 year olds who have been playing high school football for four years?

You'd be better off trying to enlist for a couple of years, get the post 9/11 GI Bill and then try for college if you still want a degree. 

Alternatively, look at community colleges for more focused degree programs if you want to try and jump-start a career change.

I don't like being the wet blanket, but you're talking about a helluva gamble and you have more to worry about than just you.

• Like 1

30 isn't "too old" for anything, though as pointed out above, you have more concerns than just yourself, so you need a better plan before you leap in.  Shop around for colleges, both in your area and online.  Search out 3rd-party reviews, cause college is a business now and they all want your money more than they want to help you.  Start looking into grants and scholarships; if you're in the states, fill out the FAFSA for government aid.  Your current company may even have programs to help you.

And not to be a degree snob (though I'm an engineer, so it's there), but what program were you looking at?  "I want to play college football" isn't a career path, so you need a plan beyond that.  I always recommend technical degrees, though I understand they aren't for everyone.  They are, however, the best bet for finding a good job relatively quick.  You should probably do some research into the job you want and decide which degrees are the best fit for that.  Also look at industry in your area (or the area you want to live).

The military is also a viable option, there are lots of assistance programs both while you're in and after you leave.  The post-9/11 GI Bill requires a minimum of 4 years service (post-training), but provides tuition, books, and a housing allowance for full time students for up to 36 months (~4yrs, not counting summer breaks) at most state schools.  As a Navy brat and former AF member, I will say its a big commitment, though, and not just for you.

This is a big decision, but if you aren't happy where you are, it's time to make a change.  Do your research, weigh your options, and discuss with your family, then start moving forward.

• Like 1

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

African American studies probably. For what reason who knows lol I'm not even black. I can always find a job making the same or more than I am now so losing this job really means nothing. I like to listen to motivational speeches while working out and they always preach going after what you want and don't stop for fear of failure.

African American studies probably. For what reason who knows lol I'm not even black. I can always find a job making the same or more than I am now so losing this job really means nothing. I like to listen to motivational speeches while working out and they always preach going after what you want and don't stop for fear of failure.

Definitely not a plan. You can't go into an educational program and huge debt "for what reason, who knows", especially an arts/social type qualification with no clear job at the end and thousands of other similar graduates who also have no jobs. I have a top English Literature degree from a fine institution. It means jack. I ended up in a call centre, like all the other graduates :)

I'm 31 and a mother too. You're never too OLD for anything, but whether you were 12, 18 or 22 I'd still say "I want to play football or maybe study, I dunno" isn't really a good enough reason to quit your job, and not a clear enough or realistic path for anyone to focus on.

Begin at the beginning. Think of a career you might be interested in. Talk to people who do it. Look into what the training might require and how you could afford and attend it (consider childcare cost.) Don't book on to the first course you see - try and get some realistic experience of the role, and truly be realstic about your ability to train for it (ie: don't decide to be a vet unless you can commit the, what is it, 7-9 years training and six-figure costs?)

First you'll need to identify what you want :)

• Like 1

warrior : level 8

str: 20.75 | dex: 13.75 | sta: 11.75 | con: 9.75 | wis: 8.25 | cha: 4.75

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora

The goal would be to play football. Not to get a degree.

To answer your original question, no.  31 isn't too old.  You'd take flack for the being the old guy, but if you could keep up, it wouldn't be an issue.  That said (as others have said) you have a lot of other factors in play here.  You need to make sure your family and child are taken care while you are doing this.  (If you are married) have you discussed this with your wife / significant other?  While your goal might be to play football, that won't put food on your table, or pay the bills.  You need to plan how you could accomplish your goal if it's truly something you wanted to go after. 

Otherwise, there are other options that don't require you to quit your job like intramural flag football leagues, etc.  Sure it's not the Super Bowl, but hell if they don't get competitive.   

I have no idea what your background is, but it sounds like you are just pining for the glory days IMO.  Nothing wrong with that.  Hell, I wish everyday I could still wrestle or that I'd gone to a college that had a wrestling program.  Another option (that I've been looking into as well) is to see if you could coach a high school / junior high program somewhere?  Competing by proxy and helping younger generations with a passion for what you have a passion for.

I think, being British, I'm completely missing the point here. You want to go back to school to join the school football team? School, college, whatevs - do they pay you money to do that? Are you good enough to earn money to do that?

If you want to inspire your son, there are plenty of ways to do that that are not being spending lots of money, or worse, getting into debt, to play football with teens. Just being a plain ol' good person and a good father is inspirational enough. You don't need to subscribe to some narrow view of what a 'hero' is.

warrior : level 8

str: 20.75 | dex: 13.75 | sta: 11.75 | con: 9.75 | wis: 8.25 | cha: 4.75

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora

Thanks rooks I am pining for glory. I have not talked to anyone in my personal life about this for I believe I would be met with the same amount of skepticism of not more than what I've been Givin on this forum. As for Financials it would be tough with out a doubt. But I provided for myself and my wife while she went to nursing school although that was before our son was born.

If you just want to play football you have several options beyond College, I've got a friend who will probably never make it to College because of a felony he committed as a youth, but he is currently playing Semi-Pro, loving it, and working towards achieving his own dreams.  I guess what I'm saying is, is it College Football or just Football in a competitive league? E.g...not flag football.

I think, being British, I'm completely missing the point here. You want to go back to school to join the school football team? School, college, whatevs - do they pay you money to do that? Are you good enough to earn money to do that?

If you want to inspire your son, there are plenty of ways to do that that are not being spending lots of money, or worse, getting into debt, to play football with teens. Just being a plain ol' good person and a good father is inspirational enough. You don't need to subscribe to some narrow view of what a 'hero' is.

No, you're not the only one that doesn't get it (and I'm American).

You don't get paid, but might get little bit of a scholarship out of it (if the college "has" money). It's a way to get into NFL, but very unlikely since lot of kids spend their whole lives training for it.

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

The military is also a viable option, there are lots of assistance programs both while you're in and after you leave.  The post-9/11 GI Bill requires a minimum of 4 years service (post-training), but provides tuition, books, and a housing allowance for full time students for up to 36 months (~4yrs, not counting summer breaks) at most state schools.  As a Navy brat and former AF member, I will say its a big commitment, though, and not just for you.

This is a big decision, but if you aren't happy where you are, it's time to make a change.  Do your research, weigh your options, and discuss with your family, then start moving forward.

Three years and an honorable discharge.  If you complete less than the full three years, I think you can qualify for a percentage of the original benefits, but it has been a second since I looked at the particulars.

But yes, it is a major lifestyle change and a huge commitment for both you, and the family.  But it's a safer gamble than trying to go to college to play football, in my opinion.

Just look into local Semi Pro leagues. I have several by me and it's a lot cheaper than going to college. Also, if you're looking for alternative education, just look around at what people are looking for and gather a plethora of certifications, Forklift. CPR-AED, Excel, QuickBooks, etc. Just grab up anything you've seen a job asking for and play semi pro ball. That'll get you some more coin and some more glory.

I am the Brawlus, goo goo, g'joob.

is a 1 year old going to be inspired with you being at college and playing football ? ....... is a 5 year old ...... 10 year old ? ....... playing college football is inspiring for older children ... but by then you will be 40, and not playing college football anymore.

There are easier ways to impress a 1 year old .... namely pretending to pull your thumb off 

Then you have to ask yourself .... how much time is going back to college going to take up ..... you will need to train for football early in the morning, at weekends ... you will be at college during the day, will you need job in the evening to make ends meet ? ........ Your kid will be more impressed by a Dad that is around and available to play with him .... not one he never sees

• Like 3

Human | Ranger

Level 3 | STR: 8 | DEX: 2 | STA: 8 | CON: 5 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 7

Current Challenge / Second Challenge, /  My First Challenge

No major or even mid-level program is going to offer any hint of a scholarship to someone older, you'

re not even a ranked recruit; the chance to get a scholarship as a walkon is minimal at best, even if you've been on the team for a while. Coaches invest their scholarships wisely; about the only way to get one as a walkon is to become needed enough that the coach has to prevent you from transferring to a program offering a scholarship.

And there is zero chance of playing in the pros, even if you are a kicker or punter. 26 is very old for a rookie, joining the league from anywhere other than other professional leagues after about 28 is unheard of.

• Like 1

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Are we talking about American Football or Soccer? If it's American football.. I am unfortunately going to play the role of the party pooper and say it's going to to be a pretty tough slog, you are going to be competing against kids 18 and 19 years old who have nothing but free time to train, practice, train..train...workout, then practice. Go to a keg party, then back to training and practicing again.

It's not impossible though, there have been a couple of 50 and 60 year olds that have made NCAA teams. It would probably be a division II or III school, and it favors place kickers, but it is possible, you just have to set realistic expectations. It's definitely a young man's game. Also keep in mind it's going to be tough laying out the money to attend a school in advance only to not make the team.

Have you thought about getting involved coaching a local high school or pee-wee team?

Don't get discouraged tho OP, just because semi pro isn't your dream doesn't mean you won't enjoy it. Maybe go the intramural football route this year to fine tune skills for the tryouts next year.

• Like 1

Lvl 4 Dragonborn (Dungeons and Dragons not Skyrim) Warrior

STR:8.5 DEX:3 STA:10.5 CON:7.5 WIS:5 CHA:4

MyFitnessPal (Looking for NerdFitness PPL)

Current Challenge

Completed:PMyrrh's Viking Winter PMyrrh's Path of the Persevering Paladin Brazen and Unabashed 5 minute Spartan Plank 50/50 Squats

COLD ASS VIKING CHALLENGE: 30/30

100%
100%