Forums are back in action! ×

Need to Respawn out of this Funk

I've been really apathetic recently. I don't like it, but in a sort of Catch-22 (which I've been trying to read for 2 months), I don't want to do anything about it because I'm in an apathetic mood. I was hoping the Thanksgiving break would help, but it might have just made matters worse. The following is a series of lapses and excuses:

• Before today, I hadn't run in like a month. It was my best run time-wise in a while, but I was on a flat treadmill.
  • I'm struggling to get out of bed in the morning, but that might have something to do with winter/still not being a morning person.
  • I bought lunch a lot this week, but I went away for Thanksgiving and didn't go grocery shopping before yesterday.

My solid routine got messed up recently due to a couple trips home, joining a Tuesday night soccer league, and a couple late nights at work. My schedule looked something like: run on Monday, laundry on Tuesday, November Project and grocery shopping on Wednesday, run on Thursday, Friday off, run over the weekend.

With the soccer league, I can't do laundry on Tuesday, which affects grocery shopping and running (do I do laundry on Monday or on Wednesday, which means I need to go grocery shopping on Thursday). I don't go to NP if we have a late game (this Tuesday's was 10:15 and I didn't get home until after midnight).

I eat like shit at my parents' house because we eat a lot of the stuff I like (comfort foods) at home, which means the more unhealthy foods and going out to restaurants. There's a reason I lost weight once I left college and moved out. I don't tell them much about changes I make because I hate when they make a big deal about stuff, but I just need to get over that.

I don't like running outside during winter because it's dark and I like running along the river, which isn't the most well-lit place (and I hate crowds of slow-walking people while running, so sidewalks suck).

I'm in a Deck-a-day challenge group, and I want to do them all, but it's not going to happen every day, so it'll take until after New Years.

I'm not sure I did this right, but I'm hoping posting everything somewhere might help.

Scout / Assassin. Ich spreche etwas deutsch.

Strava || Duolingo
Challenges: 2015/06/08 (current) | 2015/04/13 | 2014/11/10 | 2014/09/15 | 2014/07/28

"You just have to run to the end of the block. It's not as hard as you think it is."
--Leonard Fisher (12 and Holding)

Hey Ruckus!

Come on, its respawn time!

Can you fit your run in the late afternoon? that way you could run outside while it is still not dark...

I too am a night owl... so I feel your pain, getting up in the morning is my nemesis! I used to go through like 6 or 7 alarms until finally a (very pissed off) wife woke me up.

A combo of using a blue light filter and a sleep-aware alarm (twilight and sleep as android) has helped a little. Sleep as android's alarm is great for me... Not only it works and wakes me better, but the "CAPTCHA" option makes sure I stay awake. (or you could try walk me  up, also for android).

Also, if you live in a place that gets a lot less sunlight during winter, I've heard that has an impact on the mood of some people... look into blue light therapy lamps? your funk might not be just apathy, but a lack of exposure to sun...

Good luck!

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

Thanks dude. Sadly it's dark when I get out of work, so that's a no-go except on weekends (I'm running a 5K tomorrow morning, so there's that). I thought about mornings, but I just don't run as well then and would also have to get up early...

I've been using Sleep Cycle on the iPhone, but I think the problem is that I have a back-up regular alarm in place, so I usually just ignore it and get up 10 minutes later, which I should probably stop doing.

I'm hoping running more regularly might help, but I'll definitely look into the lamps and stuff.

Strava || Duolingo
Challenges: 2015/06/08 (current) | 2015/04/13 | 2014/11/10 | 2014/09/15 | 2014/07/28

"You just have to run to the end of the block. It's not as hard as you think it is."

My husband runs/bikes at night.  He wears one of those nerdy headlamps, reflective vest, reflective bands (they go around your arm or your leg).  I've worn similar gear when I have to do my walk at night.  Usually the high school near my house is being used by the football team for practice and it's totally lit up, some soccer parks too and then I walk on the track.  It might be an option for you if you find yourself still needing to get your run in at night.  good luck :)

mom2sjm
Rock Gnome Rebel

Level 28

current challenge

Yeah, I could never get into the whole wake up earlier to run in the mornings... besides, if you run in the morning, its hotter and there is more people. I'd rather run at night if possible...

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

It's not really that hot at 6AM, which is when I'd have to go. The problem is I that I don't run as well if I go right after rolling out of bed. Also I ran a 5K at 9:30 this morning and it was freezing, so I'm not too worried about heat this time of year.

Strava || Duolingo