Forums are back in action! ×

Challenge YOUR body image.

It takes a LOOOONG time to fully get over this. I haven't been crazy skinny in over 10 years, first becoming fat and then muscular. I still slip into skinny mindset on occasion. In a way, looking in mirrors helps to fend this off.

I think former skinny guy syndrome is MUCH harder to get rid of than former fat guy syndrome. Between being fat and not fat, you feel quite a bit different, it is pretty noticeable day to day. OTOH, the difference between lean and athletic and skinny doesn't feel nearly as different, its much easier to forget.

Isn't that just "I can still fit through that door"-syndrome? I got, younger brothers got it, almost every lifter does I think. Well maybe not the mountain, but you never know :D

• Like 1

Stupid mouthguard makes me look like I'm constantly trying to blow bubbles while I fight...

11059628_671019936338049_508360420277979

Also, if my shirts are any indication, while I am packing on a little bit of a belly again from my eating, my powerlifting is definitely making a difference to my arms and shoulders (more than just the soreness).  Also, my constant nagging knee pain at MMA has almost entirely vanished ever since I started squat pressing properly again, and I've got new muscle-lumps developing on my knees.  Woo!

• Like 7

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Just thought I'd share this fun comparison.

So I don't know how many of you know about Overwatch, but it's a new team-based shooter game coming out soon, and there is the character named Zarya, who is like pure muscle. ANYWAY, I realized that we have the same size arms. Sure, mine is 99% fat, but the size is the same. (I have always been super self-concious about my arms, never wearing tanks etc.) 

But yeah, realizing this made me feel a bit better about my arms. Now I just need to work on swapping that fat for muscle! 

CaBN6XN.jpg

vk3Jrel.gif

Also, real life arm goals, for those who prefer actual people instead of video game characters as fitness inspo hahaha. 

I don't know if my arms will ever get that large muscle wise (though it would be amazing if I could achieve that) but I feel a bit better about wearing tank tops while working out. :D

I totally see the likeness. That is so cool.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

At the beginning of this thread I referred to myself as rather potato-ish shaped. Well last week I tried on dresses and, shazam, I had an actual semi-indented waist finally. Here I am with my least favorite before picture ever (the standing side shot) and one from the dressing room.

MyCollage_2_zpsr0liibmi.png

• Like 12

MFP

At the beginning of this thread I referred to myself as rather potato-ish shaped. Well last week I tried on dresses and, shazam, I had an actual semi-indented waist finally. Here I am with my least favorite before picture ever (the standing side shot) and one from the dressing room.

MyCollage_2_zpsr0liibmi.png

wow! You look GREAT!!!

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

When I get to work I'll have to share pictures. ... a lady on the nfa was asking for cellulite pictures for an empowering beauty talk. ... I realized I actually LOVE my body (not that it means I'm not trying to improve it. ... but rather I'm trying to improve it BECAUSE I love it)

• Like 4

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

put under a spoiler to make it smaller

20140103_160427.jpg10849952_10204559687047055_274551227848011000472_10204559704127482_916968895840311025741_10204559694927252_312187013372011055329_10204559723127957_324603315685711081056_10204559720167883_219120672966311075237_10204559727368063_3449460552727

reposted (all o this) from the NFA page 

Those arms? 
Bench 100# (work weight)
Skull crusher 65# (work weight)
Ohp 85# (work weight)
Tricep pull down rope 1rm 125#

Those legs? 
Biked 160 miles in 4 days (3.5 really)

can squat 135# (working weight)

can leg press 460# (working weight)
Hiked the entire state of Maryland last year (twice actually) 
Can bike a six min mile sustained
Can run 18 min mile (down from 30 min mile)
Can hike a fifteen mile day
Can climb elevation gain of 3k feet day after day
Are planning a 2200 mile hike (well the legs aren't but you catch my meaning)

My cellulite. ... my fat. ... doesn't DEFINE me. ... it's part of me. .. it doesn't make me less of a woman. ... it doesn't make me less of an athlete. ... I know skinny people (women AND men) who can't keep up with me. ..

This body. ... fat and stretch marks and cellulite ands excess skin is MINE and is pretty fricken awesome

Not trying to brag. ... just saying. ... the cellulite is one small (ok big by volume but I think it's a weighted average here  ) part of who I am

I HAVE NEVER FELT MORE IN LOVE WITH MY BODY THAN TODAY!!!

I wrote all that out today and I couldn't stop bawling... 

I forget how awesome I am... and how much I can do... and I focus on the things I am NOT and I can not do... 

but I really do love all the things my body can do!!!

• Like 12

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I can't wait to share a bunk with you :) and hug you for real!

• Like 1

Spoiler

20140103_160427.jpg10849952_10204559687047055_274551227848011000472_10204559704127482_916968895840311025741_10204559694927252_312187013372011055329_10204559723127957_324603315685711081056_10204559720167883_219120672966311075237_10204559727368063_3449460552727

Those arms? 

Bench 100# (work weight)

Ohp 85# (work weight)

Those legs? 

My cellulite. ... my fat. ... doesn't DEFINE me. ... it's part of me. .. it doesn't make me less of a woman. ... it doesn't make me less of an athlete. ... I know skinny people (women AND men) who can't keep up with me. ..

This body. ... fat and stretch marks and cellulite ands excess skin is MINE and is pretty fricken awesome

Not trying to brag. ... just saying. ... the cellulite is one small (ok big by volume but I think it's a weighted average here  ) part of who I am

I forget how awesome I am... and how much I can do... and I focus on the things I am NOT and I can not do... 

Just.........freaking awesome! :)

• Like 2

Wait! What............?

well... I don't think that there will be any of THAT in our room ;)

Spoiler

well...I can't have everything I want, I guess :tongue:

sorry to let you down.... you have an innie and I prefer outies ;)

• Like 2

Spoiler

Those arms? 

Bench 100# (work weight)

Ohp 85# (work weight)

Those legs? 

Your skullcrushers are jawdropping to me. I mean, everything on the list is absolutely terrific but that one really blows me away. Fantastic! You are awesome.

MFP

I've been working on that one for a while ;)

I love when the guys in the gym are working around me and try top set up with what I work with and they can't to it ;)

• Like 1

Spoiler

I also use the curled barbell for skull crushers.... which drives the boys nuts

Spoiler