Forums are back in action! ×

Big Adam once again realizes that it's dangerous to go alone

Hey NF gang!  I'm in sore need of a respawn.  This fall has been really terrible for me in terms of diet.  I'm not sure exactly what caused it, but I looked at my food journal tonight and realized that I've been eating considerably worse than I was this time last year.  Pretty sure things are supposed to be moving in the opposite direction!  This wasn't caused by any particular life setback, but I've just been finding myself slipping back into old habits and making unhealthy choices.

I think that part of the problem is that I've been going it alone.  I did my first 6-week challenge over the summer and it was great!  I hit a few setbacks and fell on my face at the very end, but I went nearly 6 weeks eating and living healthier than I ever thought I could!  Then after that I stopped frequenting the forums and decided to set goals on my own and try to fight them privately.  I can't remember exactly why I thought that was a good idea, but it wasn't.  I posted in the respawn point in November and got some good encouragement from fellow rebels, but never committed to updating or staying accountable on my goals.  I made my respawn topic, got all pumped, and then let it fizzle out.

Anyway, I know that I need a kick in the pants to get out of the current rut I'm in.  I'm planning to move out of my parents house in a few weeks which will probably make diet easier - since I'll have control over what food is around me - but I know I still need some support and accountability to stay moving in the right direction.  I'm happy that a new 6-week challenge is starting soon.  I intend to jump in with both feet, but this time I'll be providing updates.  I'm hoping I've learned my lesson about trying to do it all by myself.

• Like 1

Sky Pirate Monk

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

NF Character

Battle Log

Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit - Vyse the Blue Rogue

Hi Adam,

Well you are here admitting that you need a kick. I don't kick in the pants, I go for the shin, so a kick to the shin I will give! haha. But no, this is the first step in any problem is admitting there is one. Everyone here wants everyone here to succeed, so let's make something good happen this week.

Just remember how good it felt to compete in that 6-week challenge! How healthy you felt, how much more energy you had I'm sure, and how much FUN it was! Moving out will help, or hurt depending on your choices, so you'll know immediately what was the fault once you move out haha.

Setting goals for yourself is hard for some to do. Your goals may have been in the right place, but sometimes to achieve a goal, you have to set steps along the way to achieve it. Mini goals within that stretch! 

Try this out for a mini goal- make next week a rebound week and start correcting the diet and eliminating some of the bads in your current one. You don't have to rid of all, but just start slowly. Drink more water and eat more veggies throughout the day is one I always recommend my friends to do, and eat them first. That way they are learning meal prioritizing. They can eat the bad stuff AFTER they fill up on the good. It will help fill you up so you eat less bad! Win/Win. 

Thanks iRyan!  A kick in the shins works just as well!  I think I will treat this week as a rebound week or as a bit of a warm-up for the 6-week challenge.  I'm usually good on my main meals - the problem has been snacking.  There's such an abundance of junk food around the house (especially right after Christmas) that it's easy to grab a cookie or some candy or ice cream when I get bored.  I totally agree about the veggies.  I'll try to fill up on those next time I want a snack instead of going for the ice cream.

Alanna, it's great to be back!  Nice to hear/read from you again!  I haven't been doing too much swing lately.  I practice my dancing now and again but without an actual class to apply the skills in, it gets a little boring.  However, now that I'm done taking academic classes, I'll have some free time on weeknights again!  Once I move out, I plan to look and see if there are any dancing classes available nearby.  Not sure if it'll be swing, but I do want to get good at some form of dancing.  How about you?  You were taking a class, right?  Have you stuck with it or gotten much of a chance to show off your moves?

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit - Vyse the Blue Rogue

Alanna, it's great to be back!  Nice to hear/read from you again!  I haven't been doing too much swing lately.  I practice my dancing now and again but without an actual class to apply the skills in, it gets a little boring.  However, now that I'm done taking academic classes, I'll have some free time on weeknights again!  Once I move out, I plan to look and see if there are any dancing classes available nearby.  Not sure if it'll be swing, but I do want to get good at some form of dancing.  How about you?  You were taking a class, right?  Have you stuck with it or gotten much of a chance to show off your moves?

Taking a dance class sounds like a good goal for next challenge! I have been slacking on the dance front, myself... between starting grad school and moving, I've barely danced at all this fall. There is swing dancing in my area, though, and I think I need to make it my life quest again for next challenge. Lifting is going well, though!

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10, 2.11, 2.12  

6-Week Challenge is up! Can't wait to get started!

Alanna, how's the pull up quest going?  I got a doorframe pullup bar for christmas and it made made me think of you and your pull up goal

• Like 1

Sky Pirate Monk

NF Character

Battle Log

I'm jealous--I wish I had a pull-up bar at home. Don't think it would fly in university accommodation, though...

I'm not quite there with the pull-ups, but making progress--thanks for asking! Last time I checked I was ~5 kg away from a single pull-up, so I either need to get a little stronger or a little leaner :P. Mostly I do negatives, and I've started weighting them (which is fun) to try to gain that last bit of strength.

I'll make sure to drop by your challenge!

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10, 2.11, 2.12