Forums are back in action! ×

Core Strength: What makes it stronger? And how to test it?

I've gotten really good at planks lately. I've been doing them on my elbows for awhile. I've been writing on my battle logs that I hold them for 40 seconds but really I hold them for 45, and I feel like if I pushed it further I could hold it longer. I also do a lot of push-ups and a lot of squats. My goal with push-ups was to work out my chest and arms, and my goal with squats was to work out my legs. But what I didn't know until recently is that both these exercises also develop core strength. I don't have the abs to show it just yet but I feel like my core strength is getting to a respectable level. Anyway I've spent a lot of time thinking about my core strength lately, so it got me wanting to have a conversation about it with other rebels. 

Yea, push-ups are basically just a dynamic plank.  

In all honesty, just about everything works your core in some way, shape, or form.  Even just doing standing curls with a pair of dumbbells will work it a little bit, since you have to hold your body upright and tight as you curl the weight.  

I've mostly stopped doing "core-focused" work.  I just stick with all the compound lifts (deadlift/squats/OHP) and add in others as needed (bench/curls/kettlebell/pullups/pushups/etc.)

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I second Oramac. As long as you're engaging your abs properly with your exercises, your core is constantly working. 

That being said, I still do a couple of core-focused exercises. Hanging leg raises and Russian twists are on my current regime (when the twists get too easy you can just increase the weight by holding onto a weight plate or a kettlebell). Also, yoga is INSANE for your core. After doing yoga 3x/week for 3 weeks, I increased my plank hold from 2 min to 3, and honestly probably could have held for longer if I didn't get bored. 

• Like 1

Level 2 Human Hero (in training) 
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
- Arthur C. Clarke

Current Challenge

1st Challenge

Twitter | Instagram

get into a straight arm plank, then walk your hands up (away from your feet). It gets hard quick. Just make sure to stay in a slight hollow position or the stress concentrates in your lower back.

L-sits are another good one.

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself