Forums are back in action! ×

Awesome Stuff to Listen to While Working Out!

Typically, when I do a longer workout, I listen to something to keep things interesting. Since I've been really behind on "Welcome to Night Vale" podcasts, I've been listening to those. Unfortunately, I'm almost all caught up and need something else to listen to-- preferably podcasts, audiobooks, and the like. Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Future Warrior/Ranger Hybrid looking to find my place in the Nerd Fitness community! :)

I'm rebuilding my exercise and my eating habits from the ground up in the name of a better mindset towards health, so I'll be asking a lot of questions. Everywhere. About all the things. Bear with me as I figure this whole mess out, and thanks for your support!

Current Level: 0

Current Challenge Thread/Battle Log (Mickey's Road to Health Enlightenment)

Tank Riot is an excellent pop culture and political podcast, run by three guys from Madison, WI.  They do intensively researched, in-depth discussions of such subjects as conspiracy theories, Godzilla, the life and works of Vincent Price, and Hanna-Barbera cartoons. (I definitely recommend the Jim Henson episode.)  http://www.tankriot.com

• Like 1

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

I second the Tank Riot recommendation.  FANTASTIC.  I love the emanations from "Tropical Madison Wisconsin."

If you're looking for weird, Project: Archivist, Binnall of America, and The Paracast are all paranormal and high strangeness podcasts. 

If you like your high strangeness with a huge dose of off color comedy, The Last Podcast on the Left is my high recommend.

SW (this time) -- 260 lbs
GW (June 1) -- 220 lbs

Shoot, if you like podcasts, there are two that can not be topped.

the Joe Rogan experience- lots of amazing gifts. Michio Kaku Neil deGrasse Tyson comedians, fitness people, scientists, TV celebrities, 500 episodes of goodness. Literally changed my life

hardcore history- combines narrative history and the number of interesting history questions. There's also that the cells are very unorthodox topics such as the world history of slavery, the history of children, history of alcohol and drug use, very very very interesting.

Level Zero Elven Assassin

Esto vir fortis!

What kinds of Audiobooks do you like?  In the vein of Welcome to Night Vale, you might see if there's an audiobook version of Deathless or maybe Palimpsest, both by Catherine M Valente, or some of Neil Gaiman's books. My pick would be Deathless.

Pure awesome?  Maybe have a look for the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud?  SO much sass.

Or the Dresden Files. Not complex books by any stretch of the imagination, but if you want a book where a wizard detective rides a reanimated tyrannosaur skeleton into battle... yeah, that's the book.

They're my suggestions, not knowing exactly what you're into.

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

I just got into using the Pandora app on my phone (mostly because it's way cheaper than satellite radio).  I discovered two new music channels that I've been pretty much playing non-stop since I came across them.  One channel is called Video Game Music Radio.  I haven't played video games in years but the channel plays some amazing songs from various video games across many genres.  I keep the Video Game Music Radio channel going in the background at home.  The other channel I discovered is called Alternative Endurance Training.  I just came across this one today and I think it will come in handy for interval training.

When all else fails, I turn to my trusty collection of Finnish rock music.  And when I say Finnish I mean both the language and the country of origin.  I have no idea what they are saying half the time because I don't speak Finnish (although I do know a couple of phrases thanks to Google translate and my favorite F1 driver) but I still enjoy it.

:strawberry: GolfCart34 :strawberry:

Twitter | FaceBook | Instagram

*I'm not the type of person who is scared of something.  If something is going to happen it's meant to be. - Kimi Raikkonen*

*We have to remember these days.  We have to enjoy them while they last.  You should never lose the passion and the joy and always remember the days when you were just dreaming of these things happening.  For all of us it is important just to enjoy the moment and realize there is more time later on in our lives to realize what it meant. - Sebastian Vettel*

Podio books, it offers free serialized audiobooks.

Also if you're into that sort of thing I'd highly recommend Under the Influence with Terry O'Riely; it's a weely CBC podcast about advertising and is probably one of my favorite things to listen to, just because it's such a good mix of funny and informative.   

Metallica, the Offspring, Twisted Sister, & AC/DC. I get the funniest looks from friends & strangers when they approach me during a workout & ask what I'm listening to - I'm a very girly-looking 25 yr old blonde girl. I just bat my eyelashes at them & smile

• Like 1

High Elf-Rakshasa Assassin | LVL 16 | STR: 18 | DEX: 11 | STA: 13 | CON: 6 | WIS: 18 | CHA: 19

I used to be one of those people that couldn't wear headphones while working out, but after the gajillionth time of listen to Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift at the gym while trying to smash my squat PR, I caved in and got myself a pair of headphones for working out. I'm a fan of electronic music, so I listen to DJ sets that have a constant flow/rhythm and are a little more upbeat.

This in particular has been in my rotation for the past 2-3 weeks: https://soundcloud.com/missmelera/miss-melera-d-edge-brasil-29012015

Epica. I think the name says it all. They are a nerdy symphonic metal band (most recent album called "The Quantum Enigma," and before that, "Design Your Universe") from the Netherlands. The female vocalist has an almost operatic voice, and they throw in 'dirty' male vocals as well (the so-called Beauty and the Beast combo). Even the lyrics are legit - in one song they stop in the middle to throw out a quote from Goethe! Epica gets me pumped. 

~Violet Menace|Level 3 Dhampir Assassin

Rebel History | Challenge #3: Spring Melt

[STR 6 | DEX 4 | STA 6 | CON 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 5]

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~Confucius 

They haven't updated this in a little bit, but http://numenerathesignal.blogspot.com/is pretty good. It's short, but it's interesting if you're familiar with Numenara by Monte Cook. In a similar vein to Violet suggesting Epica, I recommend Two Steps from Hell (specifically the Invincible and Archangel albums) as well as Audiomachine. TSfH alone makes me feel like I can do anything, anytime, anywhere. You won't regret it.

-BUSCH

Thrilling Adventure Hour is one of my favourite things ever. They do occasional crossover live shows with Night Vale, and make me giggle crazily to myself while out and about and listening :D

Now to find time to listen to everything else posted here...

Viscura
[Cybernetic Warrior
]

Current Challenge

LEVEL: 18
STR: 23 | STA: 25 | CON: 22 | INT: 10 | WIL: 19 | DEX: 1

Stuff I do:
Write stories and talk about being trans
Various filmy/webseriesy things

I've been enjoying Dan Carlin (Hardcore history and Common Sense).  But for workouts, I'm more into thinks like epic soundtracks (Last of the Mohicans, Braveheart, Lord of the Rings, Gladiator).  There is no better running song than Promentory by Trevor Jones.

I'm a trainer & am always trying to switch things up for my classes. I was thinking of having them do some of the NF workouts, like the LOTR or Star Wars workouts but need music to accompany. Do you listen to master mixes or just the soundtracks, themselves?

High Elf-Rakshasa Assassin | LVL 16 | STR: 18 | DEX: 11 | STA: 13 | CON: 6 | WIS: 18 | CHA: 19

I'm a trainer & am always trying to switch things up for my classes. I was thinking of having them do some of the NF workouts, like the LOTR or Star Wars workouts but need music to accompany. Do you listen to master mixes or just the soundtracks, themselves?

I listen to the original songs, but I do change the order.  There is nothing like trying to push though a work out and going from the song for an epic battle to a song for a love scene.  The order of the songs can really kill to work out.

If you are doing themed workouts, you sould check out Neila Rey

http://darebee.com/workout-cards.html