Forums are back in action! ×

[Ongoing] Quest for 1,000 lb Club PvP (Closed)

I am also OK with an impartial judge making the final decision. Gainsdalf?

Yeah I was gonna suggest that too but figured he wouldn't want to get involved lol

Then again, we didn't layout the specific rules at the beginning, so I'd be willing to send the beer.

I'm pretty sure they were heavily implied, or assumed. I however didn't pay any specific attention out effort to them until after I lifted.

That's what I get.

Don't send any beer yet... Not till I clean these lifts up.

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

More than happy being the impartial judge here as long as that's what everyone wants. Need you to let me know the guidelines though. IPF rules? TNG bench? You guys decide the rules. It'll give me practice, I'm considering taking my test and getting certified as a USAPL judge.

I am also OK with an impartial judge making the final decision. Gainsdalf?

Yeah I was gonna suggest that too but figured he wouldn't want to get involved lol

I'd be down with that too, if he's willing.

Also throwing in some suggestions based on weaknesses I saw (maximal attempts are the best place to see these come to the surface) for future training consideration in case you're interested DD.

Squats
-They got higher attempt to attempt, but they were all to parallel. Last one was close, but it was there. I wouldn't suggest only hitting this deep in training (more ROM is more hypertophy as a rule of thumb, so more potential for strength gains), but for competition lifts it's right where you want to be, no deeper than needed. So yeah, I would have given all the squats white lights. Good lifts.
-Your knees shoot back during the squat, shifting load off your quads and onto your hips. This is a sign of quad weakness compared to the hips musculature. If you're looking for some accessories to do to help drive up your squat numbers, some quad focus would be a good way to go. Something like high bar squats or front squats for sets of 8-12. Leg press would work too.
-You chest dips hard when you hip drive out of the bounce, a common weak link wiht low bar. Focus on keeping it up and the shoulders raising at the same pace as your hips. This could partially be a side effect of weaker quads vs hips, but also could be a cuing issue. Also, maximal loads, so something's going to come close to failure.

Bench
-Weren't paused, bad lift in IPF, but your rules here are up to you. Even though you aren't bouncing off your chest, doing touch and go still uses a stretch reflex out of the bottom, which will increase how much you can lift. My rule of thumb when no one is giving me commands is to give them in my head, not giving myself the "go" until that bar is stopped, and most of the time giving it a 1 count after that to train like a judge giving me a long pause. For IPF rules, these would be red lights.
-Heels weren't on the ground, bad lift in IPF, but no rulesd defined yet.
-You flare you elbows out right off the chest (see the bar drift toward your head right off the chest?). This can cause shoulder impingement issues and pain. Try keeping elbows tucked a little longer so that the bar is more a straight but diagonal path from the point it touches the chest to the point it finishes. Strengthening the lats can help here (pull ups, rows).

Deadlifts
-Super hitchy, bad lift. You can see your legs thrusting forward to "bounce" the bar up. The biggest thing to watch to see if you're DLing legally is that the knees never rebend, they only straighten throughout the entire lift. If they rebend, that's the definition of a hitch. Same thing for the hips. Everything should only ever be extending. If it ever rebends, red lights.

-Upper back rounding. Some people lift this way and it helps lift heavier weights. Higher risk of injury, but it's not a "no don't do that". Spezzy lifts with a rounded upper back as do many top level lifters. Just do your research and be aware of the benefits and risks.
-Lower back rounding. This is a no, don't do that. This is how we get lower back injuries as lifters. You set up fine, but once you begin the lift, it rounds. I don't know of accessories to help this. For me the fix when I do it is all form focus, and some lighter weight, higher rep deadlifting. I'm not a fan of the "one heavy set" per workout mentality anymore, I think it's not enough work to help build solid strong lower back muscles, not enough volume for the hypertrophy. My back feels much better now that I do 4-6 sets of 2-8 (whatever the program is calling for that day) at 65-75% compared to when I was just going heavy all the time.

You look like Ogre form Revenge of the Nerds. I like it.

• Like 3

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

More than happy being the impartial judge here as long as that's what everyone wants. Need you to let me know the guidelines though. IPF rules? TNG bench? You guys decide the rules. It'll give me practice, I'm considering taking my test and getting certified as a USAPL judge.

Also throwing in some suggestions based on weaknesses I saw (maximal attempts are the best place to see these come to the surface) for future training consideration in case you're interested DD.

Squats

-They got higher attempt to attempt, but they were all to parallel. Last one was close, but it was there. I wouldn't suggest only hitting this deep in training (more ROM is more hypertophy as a rule of thumb, so more potential for strength gains), but for competition lifts it's right where you want to be, no deeper than needed. So yeah, I would have given all the squats white lights. Good lifts.

-Your knees shoot back during the squat, shifting load off your quads and onto your hips. This is a sign of quad weakness compared to the hips musculature. If you're looking for some accessories to do to help drive up your squat numbers, some quad focus would be a good way to go. Something like high bar squats or front squats for sets of 8-12. Leg press would work too.

-You chest dips hard when you hip drive out of the bounce, a common weak link wiht low bar. Focus on keeping it up and the shoulders raising at the same pace as your hips. This could partially be a side effect of weaker quads vs hips, but also could be a cuing issue. Also, maximal loads, so something's going to come close to failure.

Bench

-Weren't paused, bad lift in IPF, but your rules here are up to you. Even though you aren't bouncing off your chest, doing touch and go still uses a stretch reflex out of the bottom, which will increase how much you can lift. My rule of thumb when no one is giving me commands is to give them in my head, not giving myself the "go" until that bar is stopped, and most of the time giving it a 1 count after that to train like a judge giving me a long pause. For IPF rules, these would be red lights.

-Heels weren't on the ground, bad lift in IPF, but no rulesd defined yet.

-You flare you elbows out right off the chest (see the bar drift toward your head right off the chest?). This can cause shoulder impingement issues and pain. Try keeping elbows tucked a little longer so that the bar is more a straight but diagonal path from the point it touches the chest to the point it finishes. Strengthening the lats can help here (pull ups, rows).

Deadlifts

-Super hitchy, bad lift. You can see your legs thrusting forward to "bounce" the bar up. The biggest thing to watch to see if you're DLing legally is that the knees never rebend, they only straighten throughout the entire lift. If they rebend, that's the definition of a hitch. Same thing for the hips. Everything should only ever be extending. If it ever rebends, red lights.

-Upper back rounding. Some people lift this way and it helps lift heavier weights. Higher risk of injury, but it's not a "no don't do that". Spezzy lifts with a rounded upper back as do many top level lifters. Just do your research and be aware of the benefits and risks.

-Lower back rounding. This is a no, don't do that. This is how we get lower back injuries as lifters. You set up fine, but once you begin the lift, it rounds. I don't know of accessories to help this. For me the fix when I do it is all form focus, and some lighter weight, higher rep deadlifting. I'm not a fan of the "one heavy set" per workout mentality anymore, I think it's not enough work to help build solid strong lower back muscles, not enough volume for the hypertrophy. My back feels much better now that I do 4-6 sets of 2-8 (whatever the program is calling for that day) at 65-75% compared to when I was just going heavy all the time.

You look like Ogre form Revenge of the Nerds. I like it.

Awesome! Thanks for judging and the advice.

Ogre... Lol.

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

Yea as always, thanks for all the info

FYI, my 265 lb bench press was touch and go. I plan to pause for this PvP. So I am not as far ahead as you think. More like 925 lbs.

I posted this in the thread a month ago. No one balked at it, so I went forward assuming a paused press. Also, the quoted beginning totals were based on the VVLL results, which is supposed to be paused press. I vote for paused press...

Awesome stuff. Thanks so much.

I posted this in the thread a month ago. No one balked at it, so I went forward assuming a paused press. Also, the quoted beginning totals were based on the VVLL results, which is supposed to be paused press. I vote for paused press...

Yea that's what I was basing my thought process on as well

So do we want to do full on IPF rules (minus the dress code)? The only implication I see so far would be that it would also require heels on the floor in addition to the paused press.

Haha so you're saying no underwear and t-shirt police???

Heels on the floor would suck for me, being that I don't do that now, but that is fine with me if we want to go full IPF.

My only argument against heels on the floor is that I don't believe every federation requires this, while I don't think any feds allow hitching, above parallel squats or touch and go bench.

Lol...

We settled the beer plan within two days. Actual lifting rules, took a month.

Haha I was thinking the same damn thing.

Haha so you're saying no underwear and t-shirt police???

Heels on the floor would suck for me, being that I don't do that now, but that is fine with me if we want to go full IPF.

My only argument against heels on the floor is that I don't believe every federation requires this, while I don't think any feds allow hitching, above parallel squats or touch and go bench.

I am totally fine doing IPF with the exception of heels on the ground (and clothing of course).

By the way...THANK YOU for looking the way you do.  Lol I think this is the first lifting video you've posted and you pretty much look the way I imagined, which is nice not to be completely off like I was with wildross.

What did you think I looked like?

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I added these to Darwin's thread as well.  Just tossing them in here...

On all of the lifts you wasted time/energy on setup.  You need to get a routine in mind so that you get in position with the minimal amount of movement, expended energy, then do the lift.  

For instance

squat:  Lots of wiggling, plus you come up on your toes before you squat (never seen that before)

bench: That is a really long time to hold an arch.  

deadlift: Rolling and wiggling

An outstanding example is Spezzy's squat.  She literally startled me the first time I saw her squat in person because she attacks the setup so aggressively.  She does this combination lunge, hair flip, shoulder clench right into the bar position and she hits the bar so hard that at Camp, she slid the rack the first time.  Lift, 2 steps back, squat, rack.

In short, form includes that ability to get in position quickly and decisively.  

• Like 1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker