Forums are back in action! ×

[Ongoing] Quest for 1,000 lb Club PvP (Closed)

This guy describes the problem exactly.

I may have to switch to a high bar squat for a while at least to rest my shoulder thing.

Hell, i may just finish this thing with a high bar squat instead.

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

It blows my mind that you can squat as much as you can deadlift!

Thanks.

But really, I see that as my deadlift is weak due to some imbalance.

Either that or my squat is disproportionately large because I've tweaked it, and I can get by with sloppy form.

Both are at least looking better than last time.

• Like 1

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

Thanks.

But really, I see that as my deadlift is weak due to some imbalance.

Either that or my squat is disproportionately large because I've tweaked it, and I can get by with sloppy form.

Both are at least looking better than last time.

Depends largely on your proportions. Most people have a deadlift higher than their squat. However, there is a miniority in which their proportions favor the squat so much that they squat more than they DL. Short arms make a deadlift harder, short femurs make a squat much easier (but would make DLs easier as well). A shorter torso makes a squat easier and the deadlift harder I think, not sure on that one.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Depends largely on your proportions. Most people have a deadlift higher than their squat. However, there is a miniority in which their proportions favor the squat so much that they squat more than they DL. Short arms make a deadlift harder, short femurs make a squat much easier (but would make DLs easier as well). A shorter torso makes a squat easier and the deadlift harder I think, not sure on that one.

I think my case is long femurs. Makes for a longer pull on deadlift.

And it makes the squat tougher, but i think I've addressed that by widening my stance to reduce the lever arms going front/back.

But i still think my back might be weak too.

--Stronkey Kong--

I need to work on my deadlift, I'll post some form check videos soon. I didn't end up testing when I said I was going to, because it was getting in the way of my contest prep. Now that that's over, it's time to get back to basics. My performance in the Strongman show showed me that my main weakness was not any specific implement and certainly not conditioning. My main weakness is, funnily enough, my weakness. I need to work on my static strength, especially my deadlift, I think. So, time to focus on getting my PL total (and my press) up.

Starting a new cycle of 5/3/1 today, adding in rows and rack pulls this time. Might be doing some keg work too, but that's strongman stuff, so not really important to this thread.

I did some more bench sets after high rep rows today. I just hit 3x240. 240 was my best bench for VVLL. Then, I went ahead and doubled 250. Bottom pause and all.

Too bad it won't make up for losses on my DL and squat that I have skipped for the last 2 weeks while I heal my ass.

Just hit 265 on my 7th bench set tonight. I'm shocked.

• Like 3

Well, I hit 295 and 305 on squat and my arms felt OK. Then I failed 315. I almost had it, and I could have had it, but it also tweaked my arms during the bail.

I benched 260 and didn't feel that great. Then I failed 270 and I felt like the pain in my elbows and biceps were a distraction that I could push through. I failed 275 because my biceps just collapsed the moment my upper arms reached parallel on the way down.

My arms and shoulders feel so strained right now.

I'm not deadlifting 435 tonight. I'll make my 3 attempts @ 395, 415, and 435. Maybe a miracle might happen.

Well, didn't even get 415. Not gonna bother with posting videos. Total is 960; 305+260+395. If I had completed the 315 squat without fucking my arms, I would have had a good chance at getting 270-275 bench. Then, after being so close and without failing a lift, a 410-415 deadlift might have happened.

We are all getting a little bit closer at least...

I'm hoping for 960 when I test. 350-225-380.

I'm not gonna lie, I thought one of us would hit it by now. 1000 seems to be a harder feat than I had originally thought.

For your consideration:

Squat: 385#

Bench Press: 225#

Deadlift: 390#

Total: 1000#

Edit: WARNING! If you have audio turn it off/down. The radio station was playing a lot of easy listening Kenny G bullshit. Soprano saxophones should not be played within earshot of barbells.

--Stronkey Kong--