Forums are back in action! ×

Camping? In a Tent? o_O

So for years I've wanted to go hiking in the Two Harbors / Duluth, MN area but just never done it becasue the boyfriend for some unknown reason is not interested. Well I was thinking next summer I would just go myself. It's about a 250 mile drive from where I live, no big deal, but I'm coming into some issues. Mainly... hotels are expensive. So I was thinking in order to cut costs, I could camp in a tent at a statepark. My father has all the equipment I would need and I have been camping before, just not as a responsible alone adult.

I've planned where I want to go - what food I'm bringing (have allergies so I don't want to eat out) - and etc. I know how to set up the tent and I can probably find ways to learn how to start/put out a fire (obviously before I go).

Anyone in Nerd Fitness land like to camp? I'm feeling awfully insecure about this new challenge... something about being a thin piece of tent away from total vulnerability?

This summer I did a three-week bike tour, camping and couchsurfing, from Land's End to John O'Groats by a wiggly route. It was a hoot. :)

I made a point of taking a nice big tent (rated 2-3 person) for me and my gear so I had a room to retire to, instead of just a shelter to hunker down in. I was camping solo, but of course in the wired world nothing really is; I had a solar cell / battery charger to keep my toys alive, and a hiking GPS which I used as a "moving map".

What's nice about going solo is how you can manage your pace. I had an idea where I wanted to be each day, but I could just veer off course or stop somewhere nice (or somewhere urgent). The little inn in a mountain pass was the former; the shabby small-town hotel with DEAR THANKYOU GOD a soft bed and a shower was the latter.

I was persuaded to take an emergency credit card, always a good idea for solo or adventurous travel. You never know what might come up. I also made a point of having a complete change of clothing for campsite use, which was a delight after a day in the saddle and I'd expect the same after a day on the hoof. Comfort is king!

Omg I love camping! But I've never explained how to start a fire online before.. Take matches and news paper with you!

Gather twigs, sticks and larger wood. Start with paper, scrunch it up, but not too tight as it needs air, add twigs on top, light paper adding twigs as needed, add larger stuff as the fire develops. It's pretty straight forward.

this sounds so fun! it's actually something i've thought about doing for a long time as well but never really spent the time/energy to make it happen. i had this idea a year or so back that i would take 6 months after i graduated college and hike the entire appilachian trail. but, aside from a bit of reading on the subject, i never really did much with that. one point that kept coming up in my research that i remember, though, was to try and do as many test runs as possible. camp out in your backyard at first and then take little weekend trips throughout the year to local campgrounds and such. that way you get used to carrying your pack, setting up your stuff and breaking it down. preparation is your friend. keep us updated as you make plans - this sounds amazing!

one point that kept coming up in my research that i remember, though, was to try and do as many test runs as possible. camp out in your backyard at first and then take little weekend trips throughout the year to local campgrounds and such. that way you get used to carrying your pack, setting up your stuff and breaking it down. preparation is your friend. !

I was thinking just that last night! I was going to ask my Mom if I could camp in her backyard. :D

I am getting pretty excited - I can take a vacation at my own pace and do what I want.

I'm fairly sure I can figure the fire thing out too. I can use a charcoal grill and I'm sure I can Google up some info too on wood fires.

What's nice about going solo is how you can manage your pace. I had an idea where I wanted to be each day, but I could just veer off course or stop somewhere nice (or somewhere urgent). The little inn in a mountain pass was the former; the shabby small-town hotel with DEAR THANKYOU GOD a soft bed and a shower was the latter.

Yeah at first that was kind of the clincher - vacation without my boyfriend. I've never done that before. But then I got to remembering how every vacation we take I get completely exhausted because he wants to go go go for 16 hours and I just can't do that (yet). I've actually been really wanting to camp for a long time, for some reason I just thought I wasn't outdoorsy enough but it doesn't really take much.

What an amazing choice for your adventure! Definitely one of the most beautiful places in Minnesota. I'm actually heading up there, with the girlfriend, later this month. We rented a little cabin on Lake Superior up by Grand Marais and I'm pretty pumped to get up there and play around, hopefully in some snow.

Camping is great. Are you backpacking into an area or are you in a campground with several sites in a smaller defined area? Either way you'll enjoy it. Definitely recommend the test run, if anything to just get used to setting up your tent. Maybe try to start some fires, safely, on your own too.

When you're up there check out Cascade River State Park, it's beautiful. Town of Grand Marais is really pretty and if you get up to the Gunflint Trail you'll have a blast.

Good luck on your adventure!

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jabba the Hupp, level 4 Dwarf Warrior

STR 21|DEX 9|STA 12|CON 9.5|WIS 5|CHA 1

[/TABLE]

My Bucket List

Camping is great. Are you backpacking into an area or are you in a campground with several sites in a smaller defined area? Either way you'll enjoy it.

The tenative plan is to stay at Gooseberry Falls State Park, which I wanted to visit anyway. I also wanted to hike around Tettegouche, visit the light house in Two Harbors and the Split Rock Lighthouse. I was thinking about checking out Grand Marais too I hear it's a lovely town.

We used to camp at Gooseberry when I was a kid, so I have a general idea of where everything is at. I'm trying to keep it as open as possible because I don't want to over do it. But I don't know, I'm planning on doing this next May so by then maybe everything will change (including the month).

I love hiking! look at my user picture! It's one of the most rewarding things to me. Not only do I get tons of exercise but It's also very adventurous. I always like to imagine I'm in Lord of the Rings.

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

I love camping! I was just camping in the Shenandoah National Park 2 weeks ago! I go about 2-4 times a year. Most of my friends prefer summertime "beach" camping, but I love fall time mountain camping! We usually go in groups of 4-12 people with larger tents, so it is typically all "car camping" (camp site within short distance of car), so no hiking in, then setting up camp.

mcdrew outlined the fire for you above. Other pieces of advice (some that you may already know):

- Get a hatchet. Comes in handy for many things, but making kindling from dry logs is #1 when you have wet twigs to work with. Matches work, but lighter all the way for me (I can be lazy)

- Make sure the tent has a "footprint" or get a tarp to lay under it (you'll regret it otherwise if it rains or ground is wet. Clear away ALL debris before setting up the tent. Secure tent with ALL anchors (mine has 8, but some people are lazy and tend to just go with the 4 corners. Big tent! Big Mistake!). Also, rubber mallet for the stakes is a plus.

- Air Mattress if you don't feel likely truly "roughing" it.

- I love Hobo Packs for meals (if you don't know what they are, just google "hobo packs") :-) Of course, you mentioned food you've already planned for.

Lastly, I love the thin tent being the only thing between you and the outside. Being able to listen to the wind and everything around you. Although it may be thin, I always feel a sense of "protection" in my own little habitat (My tent is called a Hobitat 6).

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

We received a (used) tent and some (new) sleeping bags for Christmas... kids were pretty excited, so last Friday we set the tent up in my living room. My daughter was worried about being frightened of sleeping in it in Grandma's backyard and my son wisely stated that I needed to make sure I could sleep on the floor. So yeah, aside from the fact that my daughter does not stop moving it was pretty fun.

Photo0106.jpg

Here they are, actually getting along for once. Next step is Grandma's backyard when the weather is warmer.

I go camping for almost two full weeks every year (only 7-8 days are continuous, the rest are weekends). First off, a tent size is for if the absolute only thing in the tent is sleeping bags and sleeping people. If you plan on having any gear at all inside the tent, halve the number of people.

Your sleeping patterns, if you regularly stay up later than is wise, will change. You'll get exhausted not too long after the sun goes down, and the sun will also make sure you wake up in time, if not from light, then from lava-tent.

For fire building, choose either the log-house or the tee-pee style. Log-house is better for cooking over, in my opinion as it channels the heat. Tee-pee is better for having people over as it has less possibility of falling over and can support adding larger logs later.

Thanks! I'm the most hesitant about building fires. I've already asked my brother if I can come out to his place and practice lighting things on fire. :)

The tent is a 4 person tent and I was pretty surprised - it is big enough for me and my stuff (I'm bringing all my food so I imagine it will take up space). Didn't quite realize the last time we went camping I was 10 and a smaller person. Honestly it was kind of cramped with me and both kids, but that could have been because my daughter was practically laying on me.

My dad has a air mattress he wants to loan me, but I don't really want to waste time setting it up and I hate air mattresses. I was thinking maybe a second sleeping bag under mine would be fine? I want to be as minimal as possible since I'm going to have to lug around food to cater to my allergies and allergy medication to also cater to my allergies.

I love the North Shore, we camp there almost every summer. A couple of years ago we camped at all of the state parks in between Duluth and Canada. Are you bringing the kids? They'll love it.

The North Shore is really cold in May, the upshot is the parks shouldn't be crowded. Gooseberry fills up really quickly, you'll need to get a reservation in early, you won't need one for most of the rest of the parks unless it's a busy weekend (no promises though).

A good idea is to go to Jay Cooke (just outside of Duluth) as your first night's destination and stay a day or two there (it's a beautiful park) and then go to your final destination. I don't know why, but it seems to make for a more relaxed trip. You'll probably need a reservation for Jay Cooke too.

A fire is essential to the experience, but we always cook off of a camp stove, it's just a lot easier. MN doesn't allow gathering firewood and the stuff they sell for wood is more like kindling, so try to buy some wood from a local just outside the park (there'll be signs in someone's driveway). A hatchet to make kindling is a good idea.

Most of the hiking isn't very strenuous on the NS, but bring lots of snacks and water, especially if the kiddies are going.

Edit: unless you're hiking in and doing back country camping, bring the air mattress, you'll be much happier. They're expensive, but a Therm-a-rest mattress sets up easily, doesn't take up much space, and keeps the rocks from keeping you awake.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

*Googling on how to light a fire*

Good to see you're getting your kids outdoors as well Shigami!

Camping is an all time favorite of mine and my kids.

Just with young ones, make sure you get a place that has amenities.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Hey if you're that tired, it won't matter what you sleep on! I love camping, and even had a job once where we camped 3 nights a week with our summer camp kids on the trail the whole summer. I got used to sleeping in a camp chair by the fire just so I didn't have t mess around with a tent. But I'm outdoorsy and go whenever I can. Have a good trip and see if you can find a buddy. Me personally, I never go alone. I sleep like the dead and wouldn't know if a critter was around until I felt it gnawing on my leg. Also baby oil/rubbing alcohol mix for the skeeters. Smell isn't too pleasant but keeps em off you while you're sleeping. Don't use during the day, you will burn!

Wake Your Dreams...

I LOVE camping...of course, we graduated from a tent to a pop up trailer. we camp almost every weekend in the summer....and most of those weekends include the husband spending 6 hours a days smoking ribs on the bbq.

Do a test run and sleep on your floor with just another sleeping bag under you, see if you're comfortable enough.

For us, camping is all about the comfort, we pack the kitchen sink practically, because we can. staples for us are comfortable chairs, pillows, good music, beer and wine, ribs and hot dogs, and marshmallows....oh, and COFFEE with BAILEYS. dear god, don't forget the coffee. the rest falls into place.

Never let your fear decide your fate.

So, are you going to be backcountry camping, or will you be camping at a drive-up site that will be used as a base camp for day hikes? I ask this because it makes a lot of difference in the type of stuff that you will be able to, and need to, bring.

I camped out of the back of my motorcycle this summer so I had a very light, backpacker-type setup. The people next to me had brought two cars worth of stuff and they had fans and stoves and card tables. Knowing your space requirements helps a lot in knowing what you can and can't bring.

I'm a Week Late and Pissed Off Challenge 

"What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates

Guest guest4729
Thanks! I'm the most hesitant about building fires. I've already asked my brother if I can come out to his place and practice lighting things on fire. :)

The tent is a 4 person tent and I was pretty surprised - it is big enough for me and my stuff (I'm bringing all my food so I imagine it will take up space). Didn't quite realize the last time we went camping I was 10 and a smaller person. Honestly it was kind of cramped with me and both kids, but that could have been because my daughter was practically laying on me.

My dad has a air mattress he wants to loan me, but I don't really want to waste time setting it up and I hate air mattresses. I was thinking maybe a second sleeping bag under mine would be fine? I want to be as minimal as possible since I'm going to have to lug around food to cater to my allergies and allergy medication to also cater to my allergies.

A lot of stores (liken Wal*Mart) will sell flint/striking things to start fires. They might also have small fire starting kits. There are a lot of resources online to help you figure out how to start a fire. If needed you can bring some newspaper to help get it going, but otherwise it doesn't work too well. If you're really in a pinch alcohol is highly flammable and could help.

It seems like the most common way to get the fire set up is to surround it with some rocks and basically lean them all on each other to create a little teepee shape with dried grass/moss/kindling under it then add more branches and twigs as needed. Be careful with wet stuff - not as easy to use. Try and get everything as dry as possible.

There are also some other days to start fire if you're desperate. You can use a sheet of ice and use your hand to melt it into a concave piece to magnify the sun almost like a magnifying glass. You could also use the bottom of a coke can and a candy bar. Break off a piece of chocolate and polish the bottom of the coke can until it's all shiny and mirror like. You can use that to direct the sun's rays to start a fire as well.

(Yay for reading random survival websites years ago out of boredom! I still remember!)