Forums are back in action! ×

hey,

i'm a long term lurker. i was around this time last year I discovered nerdfitness, and although fitness was not a priority, the gameify and level up your life aspects appealed, so i kept coming back.

In that time I have moved forward a lot with life. Most notablely using Steves 20 seconds of courage rule to walk into the open day at my local college, and again to make my application, and AGAIN to turn up on the first day of my degree course! This rule has seen me through (nearly) a full accademic year of exams and graded presentations.

20 seconds of courage has changed my life, so today I am using it to introduce myself and ask my first fitness question.

I am a 30 year old mother of two, only a little over weight in medical terms but HUGELY unfit/unhealthy/weak. My diet isn't terrible, I try to eat as I feed my two little athletes (one in track team, one just auditioned into a bad ass balllet school) so on the whole not terrible, although I do know where my changes need to be (sugared coffee, soda, alcohol)

I am increasingly awear I need to get more active, but as I have fibromyalgia, a disableing chronic illness that makes just standing up and walking across a room painful moving more is an easy need to ignore. Symptoms are chronic full body pain that never lets up, overwhelming fatigue, neuropathy and sleep dysfunction. Ultimately the point is being stronger would make managing my disability easier, it makes intuitive sence, but getting that way is not looking a pretty picture. From what I can tell people with this illness have a complicated relationship to fitness and sucess stories are few and far between. No, my illness is not an advanced state of unfitness, was plenty healthy when I got ill.

So, finally, question: any one else here in a similar position?

thanks to any one who read this far, you rule.

• Like 1

I do remember reading a girl's challenge thread a few weeks ago who mentioned she had fibro as well. I did a little research and found her name, she goes by "DreamDancer". She hasn't been active on her challenge thread, unfortunately, but that means that you're certainly not alone dealing with fibro on these parts of the interwebs. Here's her thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/64536-dreamdancer-dreams-of-walking-gracefully/

I wish you good luck on your quest to more strength and less pain. You could maybe join the next six week challenge (it starts on June the 8th). You'll find plenty of cool people to keep you motivated and help you with fitness/nutrition advice.

• Like 1

Hi,

I don't have fibromyalgia, but I do have a few health problems myself. I was born with a birth disorder that caused my left leg to be amputated below the knee; it also caused my right foot and eight of my fingers to be deformed, but they are still functional! I also have asthma, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and epilepsy.

I know I'm not in the exact same situation, but I felt compelled to comment... I understand the whole "body not cooperating" concept.

I hope you are able to find a way to be more active and have less pain!

-okapi

• Like 1

Level 0 Druid

"Live simply so that others may simply live."- Gandhi

I am replying to this now... so I can reply in more depth later (about to go make food now)

I have lost 110# so far... I have chronic debilitating pain always... ALWAYS... I have gotten to where I can run and hike and bike and lift tremendous amounts of weights... :)

it's possible... 

I leave you with my backstory... I will come in a bit and talk more

• Like 2

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Hi I'm DreamDancer, and indeed I was diagnosed as having fibromyalgia - in 1995. I got a second opinion in 2003. (Yeah you still have fibromyalgia and we still don't know what it is.)

I hadn't replied to my challenge thread in a while because an update that refused to install kept downloading and ate my data plan.. ( <-- modern version of 'the dog ate my homework'?)

Is fibromyalgia painful? Yes. Is it constant? More or less.

Sometimes it definitely is more - but I have found that the more I move the more I can move. Also there are periods of remission and periods of' flare '. The flares tend to correspond with stress, other illness or injury.

I was doing a whole lot better with it last year - I am still working on getting out of the most recent flare - which was instigated when I was hit by a truck while crossing the street on my way to work last October.

But I am not going to give up. I just have to really back things up and start with very small victories.

By the way - massage therapy helps a lot. I also found that eating about a teaspoon of turmeric a day helps with the pain. (I refuse to take pain killers on a perpetual basis - so I mix the turmeric in with my eggs and other food when I take it - it apparently needs fat and some heat to 'activate')

I'm going to do the next challenge - but I have to start really simply - I can't do the bodyweight workout (yet) but I am getting myself moving again using the exercises from the book' Pain Free ' by Egoscue.

My current 6 week Adventurer challenge - DreamDancer Respawns

Previous challenges - #1 - #2  - #3

My NF introduction post

website

Goal: to be "20 pounds of crazy in a five pound bag."

come to think of it... 

my back story pretty much splains it all... 

how you been? any improvement?

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

how are things going?? are you still here?

• Like 1

Spoiler