Forums are back in action! ×

When's the last time you invested in yourself?

I just re-applied to community college for a few non-pastry culinary courses because I feel like my career is stagnant. 

Thats awesome! great job with career expansion!

What kind of courses are you looking at/taking? I love cooking, but in reality kinda suck at it. It takes me forever to prep my food.

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

Thats awesome! great job with career expansion!

What kind of courses are you looking at/taking? I love cooking, but in reality kinda suck at it. It takes me forever to prep my food.

Thanks! Garde manger, definitely. I haven't decided if I'll take the whole culinary course or just one or two classes... I mostly just don't have the time or money for skills I won't use.

• Like 1

Last invest for myself was taking an 8 hour carbine shooting class.  I wanted to build my confidence with my new AR and my ability to use it, which it certainly did just that. 500 rounds, no malfunctions and massive smile on my face by the end of the day.  

• Like 2
64%
64%

Get Deadlift to 405 lbs for 2x6 - Current 260 lbs  2/16/14

Besides lifting weights and walking and running more, I'm going to take a First-Aid//CPR/AED this upcoming semester, and I'm going to try and volunteer like crazy this semester, and also get onto a sports team or play some sort of physical games. Now that I am losing weight and building strength, I want to see what new things I can do with my body's changes.

I'm already am able to do something of a half-pull-up without too much stress on my arms. It's more like me pulling my body up slightly and doing a sort of swing. I'm also am almost able to do a proper push-up on command.

I'm currently majoring in Engineering Technology, but I really don't like the college I'm in (more of it's lifestyle, rather than the faculty), and I'm really struggling with Eng. Tech. I am learning, however, that I prefer to be recognized by others, and that I want people to take me seriously just by looking at me, and I really feel most appreciated when helping others. Therefor, I've been thinking I'm better suited for a job that pays well, let's me do something more physical but still requires smarts, and is universally respected.

So, if Eng. Tech. doesn't work out, or if I can't find a job in it right away, I'm thinking of being a Firefighter, or a Search and Rescue worker, or something along those lines. The only downside of the Firefighter thing, is that I really want to travel, or even live outside of the US, and being a Firefighter doesn't really help with that, from what I've heard.

My dream job would be something like a "SARs Engineer/Technician", where I would both go onto the field, make some areas safer, and help get people to safety, as well as help manage the rescue equipment, and even repair and pilot drones (one of the main things that interest me about ET, and where those skills may come into use), and use them to scout ahead through dangerous areas in search of people in need of help.

If I had more faith in the government, and felt much more positive about the idea of staying in the US, I would probably join the military and try to do SARs work there. That being said, I still have the utmost respect for most people in the military. I admire their strength and bravery, and willing to put their life on the line for something they believe in.

• Like 2

Besides lifting weights and walking and running more, I'm going to take a First-Aid//CPR/AED this upcoming semester, and I'm going to try and volunteer like crazy this semester, and also get onto a sports team or play some sort of physical games. Now that I am losing weight and building strength, I want to see what new things I can do with my body's changes.

I'm already am able to do something of a half-pull-up without too much stress on my arms. It's more like me pulling my body up slightly and doing a sort of swing. I'm also am almost able to do a proper push-up on command.

I'm currently majoring in Engineering Technology, but I really don't like the college I'm in (more of it's lifestyle, rather than the faculty), and I'm really struggling with Eng. Tech. I am learning, however, that I prefer to be recognized by others, and that I want people to take me seriously just by looking at me, and I really feel most appreciated when helping others. Therefor, I've been thinking I'm better suited for a job that pays well, let's me do something more physical but still requires smarts, and is universally respected.

So, if Eng. Tech. doesn't work out, or if I can't find a job in it right away, I'm thinking of being a Firefighter, or a Search and Rescue worker, or something along those lines. The only downside of the Firefighter thing, is that I really want to travel, or even live outside of the US, and being a Firefighter doesn't really help with that, from what I've heard.

My dream job would be something like a "SARs Engineer/Technician", where I would both go onto the field, make some areas safer, and help get people to safety, as well as help manage the rescue equipment, and even repair and pilot drones (one of the main things that interest me about ET, and where those skills may come into use), and use them to scout ahead through dangerous areas in search of people in need of help.

If I had more faith in the government, and felt much more positive about the idea of staying in the US, I would probably join the military and try to do SARs work there. That being said, I still have the utmost respect for most people in the military. I admire their strength and bravery, and willing to put their life on the line for something they believe in.

Take a look at FEMA, Park Rangers, Bureau of Land Management, etc.

You might be interested in the Hotshots, or a similar group: http://www.blm.gov/es/st/en/fo/Jackson_Home_Page/jackson_hotshots.html

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

Awesome responses!

I think about that a lot, too. Especially with respect to online courses - I know that I have really benefited from several online courses, but I don't know htat I've ever really "finished" one. I think my favorite courses are the ones that are constantly delivering value.

Why is that, though? Why is it hard to follow through? What do you guys think?

For me, I'm a very visual/hands on learner... and online is everything but that. It takes serious mental fortitude for me to get through an online class.

I've been contemplated/planning on trying to visit a Muay Thai gym. Excellent for fending off Zombies!

DO IT... Muay Thai is so much fun

I should have gone Air force. They get sub-standard pay adjustment if they have to billet with us Marines!

LOL... I always loved that... "Wait, you get extra money for this?"

True, but they do get shit on from every other branch. I've even heard some coast guard guys talking shit about the chairforce and they dont even belong to the DOD. all that aside A-10s are the best!

BBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTT

Why does the Air Force wear cammies?

To hide in the bushes until the fight is over.

I do love me some A-10s though, if I had went AF, I'd be flying one of those things...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)