Forums are back in action! ×

AcidSummer reporting for duty!

Newbie here.

Not new to fitness quests though.

I'm 27, currently at my heaviest weight. It's not ideal, but I'm smaller than I have been previously which is okay. My current focus is actually getting stronger, but I would l also like to be leaner. Stupid decisions as a teenager led me to the situation I find myself in and I'm finally trying to give myself the kick in the butt I need for this by planning to cosplay one of the inklings from the game Splatoon for PAX AUS at the end of October.

The paleo/primal way of eating suits me thanks to my intolerance for starchy carbs and the general simplicity.

Looking forward to meeting others and gaining the support I need :)

Welcome!  Tanktimus has a very valid point in that refining our goals towards SMART criteria (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely) helps track them as well as show ways in which to make mid-course corrections sooner rather than later.

Reformer | Race: Gnoll | Level: 2 (neophyte) | Recruit

Current Quest: Awaiting Next 6WC

Current Side-Quest: In Development

Previous Quest(s): An Introduction to the World

Previous Side-Quest(s): N/A

[ STR: 3 | DEX: 2.63 | STA: 2.94 | CON: 3.94 | WIS: 3.75 | CHA: 2.88 ]

Numquam Bella Piis, Numquam Certanima Desunt â€” “For the faithful, wars shall never cease.â€

You make a very good point, guys... That'll teach me to post when I'm busy at work :P

Had a think about it, and for now I want to swap out 'leaner' for 'slimmer'. More specifically I want to lose 3 inches off my waistline by the end of October and be eating paleo in 70% of the meals I consume.

I am technically a noob when it comes to weight training too, and at the moment am benching 3 sets of 10 reps of the bar only on the Smith machine. I would like that to have added at least 30kg of weight to the bar by the beginning of November. I will be going to the gym at work 3-4 times a week.

Now you're getting somewhere.  Those are good, attainable goals. May I suggest adding squats in with bench press?  Take a look at some of the weightlifting posts on Steve's blog for some good starter tips.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Excellent goals and looking forward to you attaining (and surpassing) them.

Reformer | Race: Gnoll | Level: 2 (neophyte) | Recruit

Current Quest: Awaiting Next 6WC

Current Side-Quest: In Development

Previous Quest(s): An Introduction to the World

Previous Side-Quest(s): N/A

[ STR: 3 | DEX: 2.63 | STA: 2.94 | CON: 3.94 | WIS: 3.75 | CHA: 2.88 ]

Numquam Bella Piis, Numquam Certanima Desunt â€” “For the faithful, wars shall never cease.â€

I hear you on the knees. I've never had bad knees, but mine snap crackle and pop during squats. After the first few reps they get better.  Squats with good form can help knees, squats with bad form can screw up knees.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I second everything Tamk has said so far.  Also, if possible, you might consider getting away from the smith machine as soon as possible.  It'll save you possible injury and protect your ego when you finally do bench with free weights.

A true warrior does not train tirelessly to fight, or to kill. A true warrior trains endlessly that he may return home alive.
-R. Calloway

Maybe the ultimate wound is the one that makes you miss the war you got it in.
- Sebastian Junger

Challenge 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Battle Log

Doodlie PVP Johari Window

Epic Quest Character 

Haha, I don't think ego is a problem here. But thanks for the tip! Might try switching from today.

Ego never seems to be a problem, until it is. I just mean that it'll save you from failing when you move from the smith machine and attempt the same weight with free weights, doesn't translate well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A true warrior does not train tirelessly to fight, or to kill. A true warrior trains endlessly that he may return home alive.
-R. Calloway

Maybe the ultimate wound is the one that makes you miss the war you got it in.
- Sebastian Junger

Challenge 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Battle Log

Doodlie PVP Johari Window

Epic Quest Character