Forums are back in action! ×

I'm unemployed. Fitness ideas for 0 income?

Hey, guys! I'm in between jobs at the moment. I don't have enough money to sign up for the lifetime membership at the moment. I'm really bummed about that, because it seems like there is a TON of stuff that could be very helpful to someone like me. I'm actually seeing someone about a job next week, so hopefully will be able to join the ranks soon. I'd love to delve into the material available here.

Anyway, that being said, I was wondering if there are any cheap/free fitness solutions until I'm employed? I'm currently doing one of the things I got in the emails that get sent out. Here's my routine:

1. Go for a short run/fast walk, about 10 minutes, to warm up. Are there better ways to warm up?
  2. 20 squats
    15 push ups (trying to get to 20)
    15 lunges (trying to get to 20)
    15 rows (15 lbs dumbbell)
    30 second plank
    30 jumping jacks
  3. Repeat Step 2 (trying to be able to do this 3 times in a row)

So, that's what I've been doing. I currently weigh 208 lbs.; I was 215 before I started this routine. I'm not sure what my goal weight should be. I'm about 5' 7'' tall. I think I would like to be around 180. I'm trying to lose fat and gain muscle to get a toned/fit look. But I'm completely new to the workout world. The most I did was soccer in high school. I think I've kept the same amount of muscle since then but added a lot more weight to carry around.

I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to post. I'm still learning!

I'm posting two photos of myself so you know what I have to deal with. I would also welcome any tips on burning through leg fat so it doesn't look like I'm packing pillows in my pocket.

Thank you so much for your time!

post-40651-0-22238700-1436992862_thumb.jpost-40651-0-30980200-1436992863_thumb.j

• Like 1

What say you, people of Meh?

Meh.

Meh.

:numbness:  :numbness:  :numbness: We are not roused. :numbness:  :numbness:  :numbness: 

looks like you are off to a great start with your workout.  If you go to the main NF blog, under resurces there are a bunch of free workouts, that are bodyweight.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/resources/

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

You can also try darebee!  I especially love the multi-day programs.

http://darebee.com/programs.html

You can do Hero's Journey, for example, and stay engaged and interested (with a storyline!) for a whole month. :D

• Like 1

?current challenge?

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Oh!  And the best way to burn through leg fat is to fix your diet. :)  Exercise alone will not solve your issue - to get leaner, you need to be at a caloric deficit, and to maintain your energy while in deficit, you ideally need to be eating the right sorts of foods to nourish your body.  You can't spot-reduce fat off your legs (believe me.......... I spent so long wishing I could................).  You can, however, exercise to retain muscle and eat at a deficit to burn through fat, and eventually your body will transform itself!

• Like 1

?current challenge?

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

You can also try darebee!  I especially love the multi-day programs.

http://darebee.com/programs.html

You can do Hero's Journey, for example, and stay engaged and interested (with a storyline!) for a whole month. :D

This is interesting! There are a lot of different exercises for different parts of the body. Thank you!

• Like 1

Meh.

Meh.

:numbness:  :numbness:  :numbness: We are not roused. :numbness:  :numbness:  :numbness: 

Some other warm up tips would be to do stretches. Also, dont underestimate lifting heavy things around the house as a beginnger, a tub full of cloths, bags of groceries, water filled milk jugs, etc may seem light, but 20 curls or lifts from the floor later and they can get pretty hefty.

• Like 2

Lvl 4 Dragonborn (Dungeons and Dragons not Skyrim) Warrior

STR:8.5 DEX:3 STA:10.5 CON:7.5 WIS:5 CHA:4

MyFitnessPal (Looking for NerdFitness PPL)

Current Challenge

Completed:PMyrrh's Viking Winter PMyrrh's Path of the Persevering Paladin Brazen and Unabashed 5 minute Spartan Plank 50/50 Squats

COLD ASS VIKING CHALLENGE: 30/30

100%
100%

Some other warm up tips would be to do stretches. Also, dont underestimate lifting heavy things around the house as a beginnger, a tub full of cloths, bags of groceries, water filled milk jugs, etc may seem light, but 20 curls or lifts from the floor later and they can get pretty hefty.

I'll keep that in mind. Thank you!

Meh.

Meh.

To expand on what PMyrrh said, look around for things you can fill with water or dirt. A US gallon of water is 8.35 pounds, so a 5 gallon bucket would be about 41 pounds. Sand weights between 110 and 125 pounds per cubic foot, and there's about 2/3 of a cubic foot in a 5 gallon bucket. You can use those for deadlifts, or squats.

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

If you want to make weights, you can get a 50-lb sack of gravel or sand for just a couple dollars at your local hardware store.  I made sandbags (gravel bags actually) of duct tape, ziplocks, and gravel for lifting with.  Alternatively, check thrift stores for old dumbbells and iron barbell plates.

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

It is entirely possible to do the whole weightloss and fitness thing for free all the time. Check out people like OfficalBarStarzz on YouTube, and then just find yourself a local playground.

To progress from that, If it interests you, a set of adjustable gymnastics rings are generally pretty affordable once your disposable income jumps up from zero.

• Like 2

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses