Forums are back in action! ×

Please help me pick a cell phone and plan

This is me with a smart phone

Livin-the-caveman-Lifestyle.jpg

I have a regular cell phone but need to get a phone that I where I can clock into work while out in the field, so I need to switch to something with a data plan.

Someone told me about the plans at Wal-Mart, SmartTalk and Total Talk, around $35/mo, so I took a look and I'm out of my league.  How do I know how many Gigs I'll use a month?  Which phone, Samsung, Motorola, etc?  Does it matter if the screen is 1/2" bigger than the other one?  I think I only want to pay around $100 and would like to keep it for awhile.

I basically will use it to log on and off, and maybe listen to Songza or something once and awhile and some of the cool fitness apps.  I don't intend to stream movies.

Could I please get recommendations?

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

I currently have a Sony Xperia, I love it, but it's a "gamer's phone" if you do a lot with games/videos then it's a good choice.

http://www.sonymobile.com/us/products/phones/xperia-z3v/#black

As for data plans, if you're streaming music constantly then you might need a 2+ gigs, but even I have a hard time hitting my limit of 2 gigs.

Screen size, I didn't think that mattered really until I got this one, my last phone was a Razr and a good bit smaller, and was another good phone. Though that's a diminishing returns thing, I myself want a bigger screen, but too big and it becomes really cumbersome of a phone.

The Galaxy Note 4, was for my fiance, one of those phones... the thing is massive but you also gain the abilities of the phone which are nice, but smaller hands will find it very hard to hold and talk on.

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynote4/note4_main.html

Actually... now that I think about it, your profile says you're in central Florida, where about? I still have my Razr, I might be able to toss it your way and you can use it.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Depending on how much voice and text you use you might also want to look into ting.

https://ting.com/rates

I'm thinking of switching to this myself. They also have both types of phones available (GSM and CDMA) GSM is the backbone for such services like T-mobile and CDMA is the backbone for services such as sprint. Since it doesnt look like you will be using much data this service might be a great choice. It is $6 a month for the device (if you buy it from them you pay the cost and it is yours and its done) and pay as you go for minutes, text, and data. I stream a ton of music and some fitness apps and between my wife streaming music and myself (when not at home we use wifi at home) we average about 600 megs a month.

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

For what your saying you need, it sounds like a plan with1 gig or less would work. I recommend against getting a two year contract, get a track phone or a monthly plan.

Lvl 4 Dragonborn (Dungeons and Dragons not Skyrim) Warrior

STR:8.5 DEX:3 STA:10.5 CON:7.5 WIS:5 CHA:4

MyFitnessPal (Looking for NerdFitness PPL)

Current Challenge

Completed:PMyrrh's Viking Winter PMyrrh's Path of the Persevering Paladin Brazen and Unabashed 5 minute Spartan Plank 50/50 Squats

COLD ASS VIKING CHALLENGE: 30/30

100%
100%

Also recommending against yearly / two-year contracts. Another suggestion is looking into Virgin Mobile--they have a variety of monthly plans, including several options for around $35 a month. I currently use the unlimited text & data + 300 minutes, but that's because I use a lot of data and don't talk any more than that. I believe another option is unlimited text & talk + 250 MB (?) of data, although music streaming and apps can eat that up pretty quickly.   

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Dauntless | Slytherin | Scorpio | INTJ 

Current Challenge: 2 (Assassins)

Past Challenges: 1 (Recruit)