Forums are back in action! ×

Time to start thinking about the next challenge - January 2nd

Hi Everyone.

We have a new challenge coming up starting January 2nd!

For those of you who haven't done this before, a brief summary:

*You pick 3 fitness/diet goals and 1 life goal, along with a plan on how you plan to achieve those goals within the next 6 weeks

*You then post progress/setbacks/etc in your challenge thread.

*At the end of the challenge, we pick a winner (YES the winners are getting announced soon, I promise, I have a date and everything)

In preparation for this, I want you to think about the following:

*How do you plan on levelling up your life in 2012? Dietwise? Fitness wise? Lifewise?

*How do you plan on getting there?

I want you to think LONGER TERM than 6 weeks. The challenges will still be 6 weeks, but life doesn't end when a challenge ends, does it?

After you figure out what you need to do over the course of the year to achieve your goal, start thinking about what you can accomplish in the next 6 weeks.

So for example, when I wanted to go paleo, I decided in January that by the END OF THE YEAR I wanted to be paleo. I removed certain things from my diet each month - and I actually ended up finishing before goal (by September). I know personally, if i had said "lets do this all at once!" I would have failed.

Works for lifting too - since I knew I couldn't predict monthly changes for my lifts, and if I did, I would get frustrated when I couldn't hit them, I set a year end goal to hit a 350lb deadlift. Some of the year I went months without seeing a single lb increase - but you know what? I hit it by the end of the year.

Life goals! Say you hate your job - you can't guarantee an out by the end of the next 6 weeks, but you CAN say that by August you'd like to be working somewhere else, and in order to get there, you're going to send out 50 resumes in the next 6 weeks, and practice your interview skills with friends.

See what I'm getting at here?

And to help you, here are the projected dates for challenges for the entire year:

All challenges have a week break between them except for where noted, there will be a 2 week break

The challenge dates for 2012 are looking to be as follows:

(dates obviously subject to change)

January 2 - February 20th (not a typo...)

February 27 - Apriil 9th

April 16th - May 28

June 4 - July 16th

(2 week break)

July 30 - September 10th

September 17th - October 29th

November 5th - December 17th

(2 week break)

Don't need to sign up here, this thread is just to get you thinking.

Any questions? Post below! :)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

The June- July challenge is going to be super epic. July 16th is my birthday :)

Make today your someday~~~"It's a lifestyle - train like there's no finish line~~~"I hated every minute of training, but I said, don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life a champion." - Muhammad Ali, Boxer~~~"There is nothing we cannot live down, rise above, and overcome." - Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Because 7(6 week challenge+1 week break)+7+7+8(6 week challenge+2 week break)+7+7+8=51 and they needed another week there somewhere? So they made it 8+7+7+8+7+7+8=52 instead?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

The April-May challenge should go well. I end that challenge being up in Boston for a wedding, and a potential NF meet up perhaps......

You're coming to visit?! Huzzah!!

As for this upcoming challenge, I'm looking at changing my workouts again. I seem to be pretty random about how I like to workout and am looking at trying something a little different than the SLx5 that I've been doing. So, this is what I'll be trying out for this 6 week challenge. Roar!

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

Because 7(6 week challenge+1 week break)+7+7+8(6 week challenge+2 week break)+7+7+8=51 and they needed another week there somewhere? So they made it 8+7+7+8+7+7+8=52 instead?

nice try but incorrect :)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

nice try but incorrect :)

I sense diabolical plans...

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

cool, the first challenge starts just a few weeks before my 40th birthday! what a perfect time to sit down and set some short- and long-term goals.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

My BLOG

MY NF Blog

do we know when the new thread will go up? Monday? Only asking since I've never done one of these before and am new to the forum.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

My BLOG

MY NF Blog

I'm so glad my first challenge will be the Feb-Apr one... it's going to end just when I have a national competition to enter for dance!! Can't wait to start!

Goals 2012: Lose 22kg; run City to Surf in under three hours, no walking; finish New Rules of Lifting for Women; complete 3rd year of degree; get job or internship in an art gallery, museum or auction house.

"Let me have humility, an awareness of my own ignorance and fragility, and contempt for nothing but the insolence of those who condemn me." Petrarch

Blog. First challenge.