Forums are back in action! ×

The Cold Ass Viking Challenge

I really love this challenge (I've tried cold showers before), although I don't actually wash daily because a) I have a demanding baby and b)I don't really need to - I only wash my hair once a week. However, I feel that's just a negative nancy kind of view. I'd love to do it - it'll just take some effort to work out how I can fit in the time (yes, even two or three minutes!) - I might be able to bring the baby bouncer into the bathroom with me after bub is fed.

Can you start this challenge anytime in the current 6 week period? Or does it go longer? You guys are super inspiring, as is Lagertha!

Join in!  It just started and not everyone can do every day so no worries.  Try for a few times a week so you have the opportunity to acclimate is my thought.

I am sort of looking forward to it this evening which is the best time for me to do it.

I'm 3 days in.  It really is pretty refreshing.  Of course, that might change when it's much colder outside, so it'll be interesting to see how this goes longer term.  

Yep that thought has crossed my mind as well.

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Join in!  It just started and not everyone can do every day so no worries.  Try for a few times a week so you have the opportunity to acclimate is my thought.

Oh, great! Well, I might try to start today - I have some obligations as I've just moved house, but I should be able to squeeze in five minutes for the shower routine. It's still the tail end of winter here so it's fairly cold - but not as cold as the nordic countries in winter, I've no doubt!

• Like 1

Daule's First Challenge  :: Daule Doesn't Do Defeat [iI] - current

Race: Deep Dwarf | Class: Assassin | Level: 2

STR +4 | STA +2.5 | DEX +1.5 | CON +3.5 | WIS +1 | CHA +1

Okay. Cold shower #1 down! I admit, it wasn't a full shower, mainly because the water was literally ice cold - it's about 14 degrees celsius outside (57F), and the water was painfully cold. I didn't have any warmth, just got in with my hands under, washed myself with hands and washcloth, then used the cloth to wash my legs/back/underarms with the frigid water. For the washcloth bit I had to turn the hot tap on a smidge - that is, it was still way colder than ice-cold tap water on a summer's day - and it still left me gasping for breath. I even splashed it on my chest. Pretty much the whole time I was gasping and slightly lightheaded (I haven't eaten much today though).

My hands are still pink and itchy five minutes later, but even though I didn't fully stand under, I think that's a pretty good effort for a first try? On top of that, I had two fillings today, one of which was a borderline root canal, for which I was terrified because I haven't gone to the dentist in 12 years (because of said terror), and the anaesthetic didn't take quickly for me so there was pain, and half my mouth is aching and ... 

Well, that counts, doesn't it?

• Like 1

Well, that counts, doesn't it?

I would say so just be careful not to use warm water afterwards.  When it hits my back it leaves me gasping too.  LOL  Who knows by the end of it you should be able to be fully under the cold water.

Dental work is important but can leave you feeling off.  I had two teeth that were filled long ago and during a regular cleaning they found that the filled teeth started to crack.  Oh the repair was not fun and my mouth hurt for a couple days.  Hope it is all feeling better.

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

Oh trust me, definitely nowhere near warm at the end - the hot tap was only on a smudge so it was still icy cold enough to hurt/gasp but ever so slightly less icy than without it on :) still much colder than room temperature water!

• Like 1

Oh my gosh...today it felt colder than it ever has so much so my teeth were chattering.  It was a mental struggle to get in for more than a few seconds.  Not sure how long I in it but is was not nearly as long as the first time.  I wonder if a very mild shower right before allowed a little acclimation to a cooler temp.  

I'm really alternating between finding the cold showers refreshing and finding them kind of awful.  I'm not sure whether it's due to small temperature differences in the water or whether it's due to something in my physical state.  When I'm really overheated before going in, it actually feels really good to cool off.  Or if I do it after a longer, hot shower, it's nice for me.  But if I really want to soak in a hot shower and instead hop in a cold one, I'm having a lot of trouble wanting to do it.  

On the good side, if I need to shower and be out in a couple minutes, the cold showers are awesome for that.  

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

This may be a ridiculously stupid question, but: I know you can't award stat points for a PvP, but can I incorporate them into my personal challenges (i.e. make it a sub-quest) and thus allocate a portion of my 15 stat points to it for the challenge?

On another note, I'm proud I've done 4 cold showers so far. I'm curious how many people doing this challenge are in the southern hemisphere - it's basically still winter here, so the outside temp means water is freezing, whereas I know when I've had cold showers in summer, the cold water is only as cold as the below-ground temp, which isn't too bad - it's actually 25 degrees celsius below ground, whereas it's 11.6C! I was able to actually stand under the shower then, whereas now it's just painful. But I'm forging on.

How is everyone else going?

Do not see why not.  It is your challenge to run how you wish including allocating points.

We are hitting autumn in a couple days.  Right now lows are in the 40's F and highs in the 70's F for us.  I am starting to feel a chill when riding into work on my bike.  Then I quickly warm up as I pedal uphill after hill.  LOL

Fail on the cold shower today.  Normally I do them in the evening since I shower in the evening.  Last night got away from me and I showered in the morning for a change.  Got out of bed and started with a barely warm enough shower but instead of turning the dial to colder and colder I wimped out completely.  That dial was turned warmer but never hot.  I hate waking up cold in a cold house.  Nothing like a warm shower in the morning.  I think for this to work for me I have to keep the showers in the evening or afternoon on the weekends.  I will hop in a cold one tonight.

I'm the complete opposite.  If I do the shower in the morning, I can tolerate the cold pretty well.  In the evening, I really want to relax in a hot shower, so it all feels so much worse.  

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

AAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD Done.

Good Luck Everyone!

• Like 2

Lvl 4 Dragonborn (Dungeons and Dragons not Skyrim) Warrior

STR:8.5 DEX:3 STA:10.5 CON:7.5 WIS:5 CHA:4

MyFitnessPal (Looking for NerdFitness PPL)

Current Challenge

Completed:PMyrrh's Viking Winter PMyrrh's Path of the Persevering Paladin Brazen and Unabashed 5 minute Spartan Plank 50/50 Squats

COLD ASS VIKING CHALLENGE: 30/30

100%
100%

I had to Shia myself in the cold-ass water today.

JUST DO IT!

• Like 2

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

My current technique is get under the lukewarm shower for a quick wash (<1 minute), then turning the hot off completely and doing each arm and leg for five seconds held under the frigid water, and splashing my chest five times. I'm getting better. It's definitely a mind over matter thing making myself get in the shower, but a few times I've done it even though I didn't want to, which for me, is rather the point :)

• Like 1

Today I am grumpy and cold.  So naturally in a few minutes I am jumping into a cold shower.  This should be interesting.  

• Like 1

Yesterday when in the cool shower I actually reached down to make it colder.  LOL  Made it about 2 minutes at the coldest setting.

• Like 1

Okay I figured out a sure fire way to make sure my showers are at maximum cold every time the entire time.  Let my daughter shower first.  This kiddo loves them hot and long.  That meant all cold and short for me last night.  Managed 2:30!  Only feel slightly more tolerant of cold water.  No chance of tepid to cool water that gets turned down.  Just straight out "what the...cold!".

• Like 1

So... I just gotta comment. Our "indoor water" at the moment comes from a garden hose attached to a broken mainline. Yup. If I want hot water, I have to put it in a pot, and heat it up over the camp stove. In short: I'm a freakin' Cold Ass Viking that can shower in cold water for a good half-hour. (Have been showering this way daily for 8 weeks or so. Since moving.)

Keep at it guys. :tongue:

• Like 2

Dandelion

Race: Lapith

Class: Ranger-at-Heart (Recruit)

LVL 0/ STR 0/ DEX 0/ STA 0/ CON 0/ WIS 0/ CHA 0

Weight Loss: 1/28

3%
3%

BBWW: 6/15

40%
40%

No Sugar: 12/35

34%
34%

So... I just gotta comment. Our "indoor water" at the moment comes from a garden hose attached to a broken mainline. Yup. If I want hot water, I have to put it in a pot, and heat it up over the camp stove. In short: I'm a freakin' Cold Ass Viking that can shower in cold water for a good half-hour. (Have been showering this way daily for 8 weeks or so. Since moving.)

Keep at it guys. :tongue:

Yeah necessity definitely helps in many cases....wow!  Okay I will definitely keep plugging along.

Oh it is funny I said the above comment.  Our water heater has issues.  We can get hot water briefly and then it goes to luke warm.  

No matter what I am doing the full 3 minutes today.  I have come close but not quite.  Today I am determined it will happen.  In someways it has become easier and others not so much.  ;)

I took a really long cold shower yesterday, but it wasn't by choice. We're camping and I think they turned the water heater off for the season, but I was coated in mud so I had to endure. Good thing I've been working on this.

• Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log