Forums are back in action! ×

Need some encouragement, Rebels.  This weekend, a hectic schedule and poor planning resulted in me going over my daily calorie intake Sat and Sun, some processed foods, some diet sodas, and missing a strength training session.  And this morning it's raining so I can't go on my regular walk at work before my first meeting.  Part of me thinks "You can't even get it perfect your first week in, why even bother".  I realize that is defeatist, and frankly it's the easy way out.  But it is discouraging that I can't stay on track for more than 3-4 days at a time.  True, this is real life and things come up and in order for this to be a real lifestyle change I need to accept that and continue on.  It's a marathon, not a sprint, but I want what I want and I want it now!  :onthego:

• Like 1

Hobbiton to Rivendell

9%
9%

Nealla

Level 2 Human
STR 2.75|DEX 2|CON 2.5|STA 3|WIS 1|CHA 1

Current Challenge

I want what I want and I want it now!  :onthego:

As you already know, that's the part that will grind you down.  Beginners often feel they've failed because they set too many goals at the outset.  Compared to all the things they wanted to do, they don't feel they accomplished much.  But that's only because they've lost sight of the targets they DID hit.  The fact is you're making a sincere push towards fitness, and even if last week didn't go as planned, I bet it was better than the weeks before.  That's the only thing you should be comparing.  Besides, fitness really does ebb and flow.  Have patience enough to let life intervene when it does, or else you risk becoming overly obsessed with the process!  Not all cliches are true, but I think there's something to "slow and steady wins the race."

• Like 1

You got this! By having some hiccups right off the bat, it's showing you what may need some tweaking!

There's always a bit of a difference between theory and practice, so this is the chance to take an honest look at things and see what theories can be shifted a little. Like, you said poor planning ended up putting you into a bad situation with your calorie intake. What do you need to change to safeguard against next time? Maybe you can look into bringing your own bagged lunches or snacks next time.

Or with the walk, I'm in the same boat with that one. I want to make sure I go for more walks, but I'm realizing that's weather dependent, which means that when my rainy winter hits - and it will - I'll stop walking. So right now I'm trying to figure out an alternative that I can stick with. Right now I'm thinking that if I can't go for a walk outside, then I can go the stairs in my apartment building (or at work) and just do a stair climb instead. 

I know it feels like a fail, but if you reframe this as an opportunity to really nail down your goals/plans, it can be a good thing!

Kilyra|Level 4|Gorgon|Adventurer

Stats: STR 5 | STA 10 | DEX 8 | CON 8 | WIS 9 | CHA 6

"If all I do is try, that means I don't truly believe I can succeed. Look, I may fail. You may fail. But there is no try" ~Kanan Jarrus, Star Wars: Rebels

Introduction|Challenge|The Writer's Guild|Battle Log

Spoiler

Eating 90/10 (2 of 4)

50%
50%

Workout at least 4x a week (8 of 16)

50%
50%

Hollow Body Work 3x a week (6 of 12)

50%
50%

Life Goal: Write 3.5 hrs a week (1 of 4)

25%
25%

All or nothing thinking is the same as "I want it now," and that's the part of your brain that got you into this fine situation. "I want it now" is what leads you to eat junk food, and that same kind of thinking will never lead you out of it. So you're gonna have to learn to address temptation in other ways. At least you've recognized that whiny little punk-ass ego for what it is, so that's a good start.

You used to eat crap all the time. Eating crap wasn't a problem until you decided to make it a problem. So decide that it isn't a huge problem (merely an anomaly in need of correction) and move on.

(I'm doing an actual marathon next month, and "I want it now" is nooooooot what you want to be thinking in training, believe me. You have to take training one session at a time, even one mile at a time if you're as bad about psyching yourself out as I am. If I stop to think about running 26.2 miles, I don't start again. I'm still in a healthy state of denial about that distance, and I intend to remain that way until I'm at least 20 miles along on race day.)

don't think of what you just did as "3 days plus failure." Think of it instead as "3 days of success with a break." Go have some more success. There will be more breaks but don't worry too much about them, just work out what happened and how you'll do it differently next time, and then move on. You can't change what you ate yesterday anyway. Focus on what's for eating today.

• Like 2

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Need some encouragement, Rebels.  This weekend, a hectic schedule and poor planning resulted in me going over my daily calorie intake Sat and Sun, some processed foods, some diet sodas, and missing a strength training session.  And this morning it's raining so I can't go on my regular walk at work before my first meeting.  Part of me thinks "You can't even get it perfect your first week in, why even bother".  I realize that is defeatist, and frankly it's the easy way out.  But it is discouraging that I can't stay on track for more than 3-4 days at a time.  True, this is real life and things come up and in order for this to be a real lifestyle change I need to accept that and continue on.  It's a marathon, not a sprint, but I want what I want and I want it now!  :onthego:

Don't aim for perfect! Just do something. I used to find myself VERY frustrated when I set goals to work out 3x week and then missed a session. Now for example I made a commitment to make some squats and push ups EVERY DAY, no matter how many of them, it's better than not doing any of them at all. I am also using te 30 minutes break I get at work to go out for a refreshing power walk and the I climb to the 10th floor using the stars!

Just remember that the idea of this is to do it for life, so gradual improvements will eventually make you feel stronger and healthier :)

Amount of what you have to give in order to succeed.

The Adventure Awaits...

Instagram