Forums are back in action! ×

I'm excited to get started, and it's time to introduce myself!

My basic story is typical--band kid, Zelda aficionado, Bride of Pizza, and lover of all things SFF. A few years ago, I couldn't have run a quarter mile if I was chased by tracker jackers. And then a VERY WEIRD THING HAPPENED...

I joined the US Coast Guard. Suddenly I had to run for a LONG TIME without stopping for ice cream. Push ups were no longer a nostalgic candy reference. "Sit up" wasn't the thing I did when I had slumped down too far to flick the Wii remote. It was a horrifying time. BUT, through a lot of unpleasantness and misery, I dragged myself through boot camp, and even won an award for PT improvement.

(So why are you here?)

Well...that was three years ago. Since then, I've ran a half marathon and done a lot of running and swimming, but I've had very little improvement (read: none) on my pushups. My basic attitude towards pushups is "What? It's time? Oh...let me get something right quick..."

And with all the trying and working out and not getting much better, I'm starting to lose steam. And then I found the Academy, and what can I say? Questing and leveling has always been addictive to me. I've got a new energy back into my efforts that was missing for awhile.

I want to be stronger for me, but I also have an outside force...I'm headed to ANOTHER horrible training in three months (Officer Candidate School) and I want to go in there in much better shape than I went into boot camp. And then, once I'm an officer, I do not want to be a wimpy officer. No one respects a wimpy officer. I want to be less like this guy and more like this guy.

But with more hair. I've been practicing my Blue Steel and everything. I'm ready to get this party started! 

• Like 1

Right then! This isn't going to be big on dignity. 

Level 0/Recruit/Human? Maybe? Races are hard

Still new here, not sure which Guild will be home

My Current Six-Week Challenge!

5 years in the Air Force and I'm still struggling with my push ups. 

Here's a good video

• Like 1

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

Welcome!

There are two basic ways to improve on your pushups:

1) Work with lighter weights to build the relevant muscles: triceps, pectorals, back muscles.  

2) Start small, with strict form pushups.  As you begin to complete more, add more.  Practice every night.  Danica, at last report, hit her mark of 100 strict form pushups.  You might find her story motivating - I certainly do.

A good general tip: pay attention to form.  Particularly, don't keep your elbows perpendicular to your body.  I saw that a lot in the Army - it isolates your shoulders and causes more strain.  Elbows should be no more than 45 degrees from your sides - that keeps your upper body working together, instead of in isolation.

I'm working through the hundred push-ups program using the form described above, and it is humbling.

http://hundredpushups.com

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

Thank you guys for the suggestions! Nedwin, it's nice to know I'm not the only one. :) I've tried the 100 push-ups before, but it didn't stick. I'm feeling a lot more motivated (and supported by NFR etc) this time around, so I think I'm going to go for it.

And thanks for the elbows tip, TMedina. I know I keep my elbows out too far right now--it's a little easier for me, but it's probably going to make things harder in the long run, so I should get in control. 

• Like 1

Right then! This isn't going to be big on dignity. 

Level 0/Recruit/Human? Maybe? Races are hard

Still new here, not sure which Guild will be home

My Current Six-Week Challenge!