Forums are back in action! ×

Happy Birthday to Me

I turned 32 yesterday. The presents don't really pile in like they do before your mid-twenties, so I've taken to splurging on something for myself each year. Usually it's a stack of books or a DVD set I've been wanting for a while. This year it was going to be the hardcover edition of Gary Larson's The Complete Far Side. But just before I clicked that tomb of lumpy human and sarcastic cow hilarity into my Amazon cart, the Introspection Fairy flew into my living room and slapped me across the face. Fairies are mean.

I'm now 32, weigh 345 lbs, and am way too comfortable living a life of unproductive solitude. I work, I sleep, I spend my free time with my face in a screen or a book, and I usually grab whatever's quick and easy to eat while transporting myself between those activities. That's not a life. That's hibernation. And Introspection Fairy says, "No more!"

I've known what I need to do for a while now. I've been lurking on the NF site and reading the articles Steve emails me for about a year now. But now I'm using my birthday as an excuse to dive in. I used my Far Side money to instead join the Nerd Fitness Academy and stock my kitchen with chicken and various edible plants. I've written out my Big Why and 5 Goals and figured out a way to pattern the NF Diet to fit my schedule and habits. I took the before pictures (ouch) and my measurements (holy hell!). And when I complete the Nutrition quests, I have a dedicated exercise room (hooray yard sale gear!) and a nature trail next to my house (hooray rural existence!) waiting for me to tackle the Fitness quests.

I'm ready. You fairies can quit slapping me now.

• Like 2

"You idiots! These are not them! You've captured their stunt doubles!" -Spaceballs-

The Rybach Saga

Current Chapter / Previous Chapters: 1 2 / Epic Quests