Forums are back in action! ×

"But it's so COLD."

If I classified the half-baked excuses my brain comes up with to stay in bed and not work out as enemies in the video game of life, this one would be a recurring boss.

It's not even that cold yet! I know it's coming, though, so help me out: how do you guys beat the cold? Any tricks? Especially for the morning. (Aaaaand just for fun let's assume I'm too broke to just crank the heat up. Because I am.)

• Like 1

Mmm. I love the cold. I suggest more layers of clothing. Removable layers, in case you get too warm. Winter exercise in my basement = sweatpants/hoodie over shorts/tshirt until I get toasty and take them off. (The former, not the latter. Not quite into nude exercise.)

In non exercise times outside, if it's really cold I focus on trying not to shiver. Sounds counterintuitive since shivering warms you but the extra effort to work against shivering warms me up a bit more on top of the shivering itself.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

I live in the arctic so I know cold very well. -40 to -50 is not special up here. I walk every day and I use to do a lot of winter camping in those weather so maybe I can give you a trick or two.

If you are too broke to crank up the heat, I'm sorry to say you will have to find heat somewhere else. Dress well inside and eat(your body need fuel!). There is no way around it. if you can't get heat from your environment, you must produce it and to produce it, you need fuel, aka food. Clothing are only there for insulation, they don't produce heat.

It's not healthy for every kind of lifestyle but up here, what Inuits have been doing for ages is to feed on muktuk when outside. Muktuk is basically whale fat and skin and nothing else. Fat is the best fast burning fuel you can give to your body. So get yourself a whale.... euh... sorry I got carried away a moment, I mean adding some good old fat to whatever you eat could help a lot. I even add butter to my oatmeal sometimes.

As for outside:

1) Dress warm. I mean WARM. If you are very active outside, chose multilayer clothing. If less active, chose something heavier. I never walk to work without the big boots, big mits, fur hat, down jacket, winter pants, scarf. I never feel a bit of cold and that's what I want cause it sucks to be cold. You might need less where you live but you get the picture.

2) Eat! Again, you need fuel to burn. Without it, even the warmest cloths won't keep you warm

3) Move a little

4) Stay dry.

5) Change your mindset about winter. Find reasons to like winter. that will make it all a lot more easier. Not sure how long winter is where you are but up here, I can't afford hating the longest season of the year.

Happy winter

My Battle Log

Challenges 1, 2,

Escape the Matrix Quest

Those are challenges I couldn't complete during previous 6 Week Challenges. While they won't be my focus for the next 6WC, I am keeping them here until I complete them. I WILL complete them.

Push ups challenge (3 sets of 30)

50%
50%

Freaking pull ups challenge (10 consecutive pushups)

64%
64%

Especially for the morning. 

Set the most outrageously obnoxious alarm you can, all the way across the room so you HAVE to get out of bed to turn it off.  When I was training myself to wake up, I had one of those Radio/Alarm Clocks with the volume maxed out and the dial set to static.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

In bed I am a huge fan of microwavable wheat bags (mine are now old enough that they have FINALLY stopped stinking of lavender) plus lots of layers.  Mid winter I tend to have socks, warm full-length pjs, a duvet and a blanket.

Getting up it helps if you have slippers and a dressing gown available right next to your bed.  For me it's that horrible cold shock that makes it hard to get out of bed so having them there means you don't have to venture far into the cold.

Fiona - Assassin

Horses ~ Circus ~ Rats ~ Genetics

Four week challenges: 1 2 3 (Failed) 4 5

Current challenge: Here

In bed I am a huge fan of microwavable wheat bags (mine are now old enough that they have FINALLY stopped stinking of lavender) plus lots of layers.  Mid winter I tend to have socks, warm full-length pjs, a duvet and a blanket.

Getting up it helps if you have slippers and a dressing gown available right next to your bed.  For me it's that horrible cold shock that makes it hard to get out of bed so having them there means you don't have to venture far into the cold.

Or just wear the clothes for tomorrow, that's what I did in the field while in the military. Wear the uniform and socks, stick boots under the covers/in your slerping bag near your feet. Then wake up, put shoes on and then get out of bed.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Or just wear the clothes for tomorrow, that's what I did in the field while in the military. Wear the uniform and socks, stick boots under the covers/in your slerping bag near your feet. Then wake up, put shoes on and then get out of bed.

I did this when I had early morning rugby practices while I was in school. (My heat's electric baseboard heaters so I'd just leave it on on the lowest setting in the bedroom overnight and off in the rest of my place, since I'd be out the door super quick. Didn't want to leave it on overnight cause $ and it wasn't worth turning it on in the morning cause it wouldn't heat up the apartment before I left for the day). I'd get up and eat breakfast huddled in front of my space heater and then head out.

One thing that I find makes a big difference is the type of sheets. Flannel or jersey sheets feel much warmer than cotton, even when you first get into bed. I have no idea why, but I've found that flannel/jersey in the winter and cotton in the summer definitely impacts my comfort

Another one for the layers here. I work out in my garage, which starts out damn cold. In the winter it's wool socks, sweatpants over my shorts, which are over tight thermal pants, then a t-shirt with a heavy sweatjacket with the hood up. I wear thin garden gloves with rubber on the palms that allows me to grab the bar without my hands hurting from the cold. I have an electric heater I throw on in there, and my body also warms the space up, so that it increases 15-20 degrees over my hour workout I think, or at least feels like it. This year I think I'm going to keep the barbells inside and carry them out to the garage for each workout to make them more pleasant to handle.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf