Forums are back in action! ×

How much water do you drink? (Does it matter?)

Hey folks.

Just wondering how much water you drink on a daily basis, and whether you think it's something that matters much? I think the best advice I've heard is "just drink when you're thirsty", but the advice on drinking lots of water to help bad skin seems pretty consistent, too. I have acne pretty consistently even though I'm turning 23 soon, so I'm trying to up my water intake. I'll let you know if it helps! (My mom tells me this runs in my family and the only way to totally get rid of the acne forever is to spawn. I think I'll try water first.)

I drink a ton of water if I have a water bottle sitting on my desk at work, and virtually none otherwise. Currently have a big plastic 1.5 L bottle that I've gone through twice today, usually have a smaller metal Sigg one in my backpack.

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

Common rule of thumb I have heard is half your body weight (lbs) in ounces a day, and I believe that is the high end. My fitness website recommends 64 oz for everyone. I tend to fall in between the two and get around 96. I have a 32 ounce cup at work and at home and drink 3-4 a day.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I've found that the more water I drink the more I notice when I don't get enough. I guess before I was just dehydrated and not noticing... or drinking Dr. Pepper.

I have a 12 ounce glass at work that I fill up every time I go anywhere near the kitchen. Right now that's about 4-5 times a day and 2 glasses at lunch. I also wake up and have a 16 oz glass right when I get out of bed. I've found that if I don't do that I usually don't do as good a job of hydrating throughout the day.

to add to everyone else's comments, by the time your body signals that you're thirsty, you're already fairly dehydrated. there are lot of sources that say this, but this is the first one i found:

"If you wait until you are thirsty, your body is already dehydrated. It takes about TWO HOURS for anything you drink to have an effect on your body’s hydration level. By the time you feel thirsty, you are two hours behind!"

taken from here (no clue who Liz is, but this article is pretty decent): http://www.fitnessbyliz.com/dehydration-hydration-drink-before-you-get-thirsty/

water is like a freaking magic potion. drink that ish up.

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

i probably drink too much water every day, filling a 32 ounce bottle 3-5 times a day. i dont drink any other liquids besides maybe a cup of cold cure or sleepytime tea before bed. but i have never had acne, so maybe it works!

except actually, now that i've cut gluten, my body is revolting by giving me headaches and sadnesses, and i have a couple spots on my face. stupid withdrawal!

Mu usual is about 40 oz, I'm trying to get in the habit of at least 64 oz though. But I'm finding it difficult to drink that muxh.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I also drink tons -- I find I feel better when I do, and it gives me a reminder to get up and move around at work (when you gotta go, you gotta go), otherwise I might just sit in my chair for the entire day, with a break for lunch.

I have ~16 ounces first thing in the morning (on my way into work), and at least two one-liter bottles of seltzer during the day, and another 24 ounces or so throughout the evening and during a workout. As I said, I just feel better when I'm staying hydrated like that.

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

About 2 gallons.

Seriously.

But I also work out twice a day and need it.

40-60 oz if you're working out is not nearly enough.

You CAN drink too much, yes. But you all should be getting at least a gallon.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

I don't really keep track, I just keep filing up my glass. But I can definately tell when I haven't had enough water. And I use to hate water before I went Paleo, I always made an excuse "it doesn't taste like anything" then I would chug probably a 2 liter of Mt. Dew a day if not more. Now it's like wow this is actually refreshing, the water that is.

how much is too much though? sometimes i worry that i am pissing away all my nutrients because i drink so much water...

Your body won't get rid of it unless it doesn't need it. Our bodies are elegantly parsimonious in that way.

Yes you can drink too much water but it takes serious effort. Water intoxication is the google search.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

About 2 gallons.

You have to do everything to grand proportions don't you?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Guest guest4729

I drink as much as possible. Probably twice as much as usual while at work. I probably refill my cup of water about 8 times while working. At home I drink less, but I'm trying to drink more. It's just that sometimes I don't think about it and then hours later I'm like "Crap, forgot to drink throughout the day." Working on it though.

Your body won't get rid of it unless it doesn't need it. Our bodies are elegantly parsimonious in that way.

Yes you can drink too much water but it takes serious effort. Water intoxication is the google search.

This.

My coach has done it, though. So it IS possible. I think your kidneys can technically handle like 5 gallons?

You have to do everything to grand proportions don't you?

haha i'm thirsty!

I have a gallon jug at my desk that I finish every day, and then drink easily another gallon - gallon and a half when i'm home/at crossfit.

I actually was having a bunch of muscle spasms a few weeks ago when I was on vacation - finally figured it out that it was because I was at home without my gallon jug next to me. As soon as I increased my water back up to normal they stopped.

“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

I hit close to 100oz a day during the week. I have a Brita water bottle that I refill throughout the day. By the afternoon, I reach a point where it's time to use the bathroom around the same time I need a refill, so I just keep the cycle going.

Sadly, my weekends I don't get as much. Still a good bit, but not nearly enough as when I'm sitting at my desk.

During the week, 1 cup of black coffee in the morning, water the rest of the day. Feel like I can never get enough :-)

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I actually was having a bunch of muscle spasms a few weeks ago when I was on vacation - finally figured it out that it was because I was at home without my gallon jug next to me. As soon as I increased my water back up to normal they stopped.

i have a similar reaction... one surefire way to tell i'm not hydrated enough is if i get really bad foot cramps, particularly while sleeping. so i try to avoid that as much as possible.

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

My coach has done it, though. So it IS possible. I think your kidneys can technically handle like 5 gallons?

Not sure on the excretion rate but AFAIK it's more of an electrolyte concentration problem. If you drink too much water without replacing sodium et al you go all hyponatremic or whatever and your cells are all like "wtf wheres the sodium yall? Let's just shut down now k".

Long story short is get that coach a Gatorade or a large fry to snack on while he refills his gallon jug.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

Not sure on the excretion rate but AFAIK it's more of an electrolyte concentration problem. If you drink too much water without replacing sodium et al you go all hyponatremic or whatever and your cells are all like "wtf wheres the sodium yall? Let's just shut down now k".

haha yeah he said his sodium levels were dangerously low. luckily he learned from it and keeps his levels higher now :)