Forums are back in action! ×

Wife says we should get a new game system...

Recommendations?

She's never really been a gamer, but thinks that it could be fun.

The last game system I had (still have and play it, actually) is a GameCube.  I love Zelda, Lego Star Wars, Mario, Starfox, Sonic, Pikmin, etc.  I don't particularly enjoy FPS- I can appreciate if they are good games, but I don't particularly enjoy them.  (Though I did really enjoy a cartoony FPS on the N64 called Jet Force Gemini.)

I guess I'm looking for something with a better selection of cartoony family-friendly games.  I'm not into any kind of realistic violence or the really dark magic games, but those seem to be the only games getting made or marketed these days.  I want to solve some puzzles and have something light and fun to play.  It seems the Nintendo has always targeted that market and the Wii U might be the best bet, but I'm open to suggestions.

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

"Cartoony and family friendly selection" sounds to me like Wii as much as anything.  (You could get a non-U wii for $80 or so, refurb/used of course.  They double as DVD players and other dandy things, very hackable if you're into that.)  Playstation 2/3 would be a distant second.

Microsoft is trying to make the Xboxen more family-friendly.  If you spring for a Kinect you can get some dance games and the like.  But I think the Wii still beats it for the kind of games you're looking for.

My game system of choice is the PC, honestly.  And I too like puzzles and "light and fun" type stuff.  I tinker a bit with emulators and that allows me to run many "friendly" favorites from previous generations.  If you have an extra computer that's not being used, download some emulators and hook it up to your TV, it can be your game console.  (You won't be able to run the newest and hottest games, needless to say, but I've managed to make a 5-year-old computer perform up to PS2 level, and with some hardware upgrades you could probably do far better.)

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Normally I'd say "PC MASTER RACE!" and be done with it.  Bonus points if you build the PC yourself.  But....

"Cartoony and family friendly selection"

This also screams Nintendo to me as well.  

"Wife says we should get a new game system..."

"All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before"

Haha.  I lol'd.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

PC has the advantage of getting a lot of the indie games, which are very cartoony and family-friendly, and PC will often get releases that are on other consoles as well (except exclusives, obviously) because PC isn't seen as a direct competitor the way Xbox is to PS. 

But yeah, I think Nintendo is always going to have more major-release cartoony fun than any of the others.

• Like 1

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

PC has the advantage of getting a lot of the indie games, which are very cartoony and family-friendly, and PC will often get releases that are on other consoles as well (except exclusives, obviously) because PC isn't seen as a direct competitor the way Xbox is to PS. 

But yeah, I think Nintendo is always going to have more major-release cartoony fun than any of the others.

Normally I'd say "PC MASTER RACE!" and be done with it.  Bonus points if you build the PC yourself.  But....

Maybe a Steam box?  Anyone have one of those?  Building my own is maybe a good idea, if it isn't too big (space is a major consideration here).  A small boxen that runs netflix, amazon, and steam would perhaps suffice for everything we need.  Bonus points for Pandora and TuneIn.  hmmm....

• Like 1

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.