Forums are back in action! ×

Console has a Little Dust but the Restart Button Still Works

So looking at my past posts I tried this about 15 months ago and that didn't work out really well... BUT this is the ultimate restart for me and this is a different approach then before.

In August I made a super out of my comfort zone decision to leave my wonderful city of Chicago and moved to Salt Lake City so I could try my undergrad studies again. It turned out to be a great decision and this has been the happiest I have been and I feel clear and focused. Anyway, my birthday came around and it kind of hit me that I need to turn my life around health-wise.

I have always been overweight. I was a three sport athlete even when I was overweight. I never thought there was anything wrong because I could do everything that I wanted to do. I started to realize coming out of high school that I needed to become healthier to not end up like my mom and dad but it never really hit home. So I've tried this before but this is why it is different this time. I am going through it starting at square one. I was trying to make too big of changes in the past where I bit off more than I could chew and now I'm looking to focus on small changes. So my first thing is too look at my diet and then we will bring in fitness. So my battle plan is to look at things one week at a time. This week's is to establish a food journal and in the future I think I will look to reduce my liquid calories. Eventually I will want to look at eating paleo but small steps are going to be better.

I'm afraid that the hardest thing is going to be when we start our new semester and I get back to hanging out with my friends (in 2-3 days), mostly because I don't know how supportive they will be. I understand that I haven't given them a chance yet but just from how they are, it's not something they would show support for but it doesn't mean they would put me down either, more just indifference. But that's why I posted here and I will be making a battle log because I don't really have a support group and this will keep me accountable even if no one else reads it. Anyway, I've been doing this the past 4 days and so far so good. I'm going to start to figure out my next step in the upcoming days but my focus is to take little steps and form good habits.

I totally understand taking steps that are way too big and then falling on your face. Yay for manageable progress! It's hard spending time with people who may or may not supportive, but remember--you have the whole Rebellion behind you! :D

• Like 1

Slayer Druid

"Welcome to the Hellmouth."

My Epic Quest | My Battle Log | My Blog

Current challenge: Slayer Hits the Books

Archived challenges: 12345

Just be simple and straight with your friends. I've never had a situation in which my friends openly put me down on my goal. They might not support it but they respect it and that's enough. That's great to hear you're grinding in a foreign land and thriving! My only big tip of advice is that the war is won and lost in the supermarket. Make sure that when you're mentally blown out from school that you have healthy things to eat at home. That alone can make a huge difference!

Best of luck on the coming semester :)

For the Rebellion!

Douglas

• Like 1

You can become a Hero. 

Hey thanks for the advice! All has gone well so far actually, haven't really mentioned anything to my friends about it mostly because I'm still scared to but I've been doing well eating wise and I am down 8 pounds mostly just from making little changes to my diet. I decided to jump into the 4 week challenge this month and I think it will go well. I'm actually excited with the little changes I've been making. Thanks for the support!

• Like 1

Oh you're jumping in!? GET IT ON!!!

Yeah it's intimidating no doubt. My parents aren't really supportive about it with sweets and nasty junkfuel going "Oh it's only one! What's the big deal? What's the matter with you!?" Like there's something inherently wrong with me for not wanting a piece of trash. It's a lot easier when you're the master of what's in the pantry. Best of luck to you!

For the Rebellion!

Douglas

• Like 1

You can become a Hero. 

Thanks for all the luck! It's good to hear that it's possible to be successful even when those around you are not always supportive. It helps that I talk to family about my goals and how I'm doing on them. I talk on the phone with some relatives and even though they don't live near me they always help with cheers. It keeps me motivated because they won't see me for a while and then they will be shocked to see the transformation and it keeps me going.