Forums are back in action! ×

Rotator Cuff Injuries

Several years ago I tore my rotator cuff in a crash during a ski race. They treated me with therapy rather than surgery and I was able to recover a good portion of my range of motion, but not 100%. Swimming was great, even though I swam in circles at first.

I have never worked on a true strength program. Most of my exercise has been aerobic with indirect strength gains by jumping my mountain bike, swimming and a skiing. Lifting patients at work counts too, they keep getting heavier and heavier.

I know to achieve the shape I want, I need to develop a strength training routine. In fact, I found this site searching for gym tips. With a bad shoulder, what exercises would be good to help strengthen it and which ones should I avoid so I can stay away from the OR?

• Like 1

"Without risk, there is no adventure."

I would cross-post this question over on the "help me create a workout plan" thread or the "bodyweight programming" one to make sure it gets seen! :)

The good news is, there's tons of strength training you can do without tweaking your shoulder, especially with bodyweight strength! I would start here, though some of the exercises might be out for your shoulder. But people in the programming threads should be able to help!

Slayer Druid

"Welcome to the Hellmouth."

My Epic Quest | My Battle Log | My Blog

Current challenge: Slayer Hits the Books

Archived challenges: 12345

Great to hear you're getting your grind on!

When I was reading on Kettlebells I read a good deal on Turkish Get Ups and Kettlebell Swings for helping athletes with shoulder injuries. I'd research that a bit and maybe the other more knowledgeable nerds can help there. Either way best of luck and welcome back!

For the Rebellion!

Douglas

You can become a Hero. 

Hey Nater,

Have you got an impingement within that particular shoulder limiting your ROM? 

I'm assuming during your treatment things were done like, the pendulum stretch, light weight side-lying external rotations, standing dumbbell external rotations, elastic banded high-to-low rows, etc etc.

Some of the typical strength exercises for shoulder cuffs and shoulder health include: YTW drill, dips, narrow and wide grip lat pulldowns, various rows and Overhead presses. 

GL with the strength gain.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Thanks for the tips. I can finish the beginner bodyweight circuit, but I still need two days to recover before doing it again. One day of rest just does not quite cut it at this point.

None of those exercises stress my shoulder too much. I loose strength as my left arm is raised. Motions that are shoulder height are no problem, but I get quite weak as the arm is above my head. I cannot lift it straight above my head without the wrong kind of pain.

Yes, the original therapy involved pendulum swings and similar exercises. Rowing works, but lat pull downs and overhead presses still seem out of reach.The doctors never mentioned bursitis or an infringement, but I could always make a new appointment. I have much better insurance now than when the injury occurred.

"Without risk, there is no adventure."