Forums are back in action! ×

Men ONLY please...

Guest Snake McClain

I'm a geologist with an environmental engineering firm. I help install wells and test groundwater in and around gas stations, although mostly, I just write up the reports for those jobs, which is boring...

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Wow, we got a pretty good variety!

I suppose my followup question...

Are you happy there? If not, what would you like to be doing?

Current life goals:

Eat Paleo | Work Primal | Find a Job | Relax | Get more sleep

April 2012 goals:

10 Chin-ups | 45 Push-ups | Cut out sugary snacks

"The 'amazing' can only be created by facing fear, risk, and failure during the process." -Joel Brown

"A brave man is not a man who is not afraid, but one who's will is stronger than his fear." -Unknown

I know some people here read Dr. Nerdlove, but today's post is quite fitting for all men of this thread:

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A MAN?

http://www.doctornerdlove.com/2012/04/to-be-a-man/

While reading his take on where man used to be and what pop culture has recently portrayed as being a "man", not quite sure it made me feel good to be a man at this point in history. Then I got to his list at the end of the article (What is a Man?) and agreed with everything he said!

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Guest Snake McClain
This is exactly the position I was in about 7 years ago when I made the move from slightly-better-than-minimum-wage temp jobs to proper programming. I really wanted to to electrical engeneering too, since the coursework seems pretty cool, but like you I never managed to get a straight answer as to whan an EE does every day.

I'd highly recommend going into programming if you don't know what else to do. It's interesting, cerebral and creative work, it's in high demand, and it's well paid. If you're lucky, you can land a flexible role that will allow you to pursue your other interests more easily too.

The cool thing about programming is that you don't really need a degree to do it. Yes, having one, or working towards one will look good on your resume, but generally, with coding, you can either do it or you can't. I work with a handful of amazing programmers, and only one of them has a degree.

It take a lot of hard work and deidaction to get your head around the basics of writing code, but once you have it, it's transferrable to other languages, etc. If you want an easy way to have a taste of it, start writing macros in Excel at work. Try recording a macro, then seeing what it looks like in the VBA designer (see Google). Change a parameter or two, and see what it does...start using macros wherever you can and hand-coding them as much as possible, and you'll be able to write basic code before you know it. Once you have a foundation, the rest is just application.

barefoot thank you a ton. i'm having a conversation with a guy at work and he's saying almost verbatim exactly what you did. it seems i've been educated and convinced.

I know some people here read Dr. Nerdlove, but today's post is quite fitting for all men of this thread:

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A MAN?

http://www.doctornerdlove.com/2012/04/to-be-a-man/

While reading his take on where man used to be and what pop culture has recently portrayed as being a "man", not quite sure it made me feel good to be a man at this point in history. Then I got to his list at the end of the article (What is a Man?) and agreed with everything he said!

I haven't read this. and i'm about to. but i have to be honest I have a hard time reading dr. nerdlove because seriously all he ever f***ing talks about is getting laid. like there is way more to what i want than just filling a vagina with my boner. I almost can't even read his articles because it's all, "get laid", "i got laid" or "let's get you laid." like dude i'm not trying to get a bj i'm trying to have a relationship. anyway.... *steps off soap box*

I haven't read this. and i'm about to. but i have to be honest I have a hard time reading dr. nerdlove because seriously all he ever f***ing talks about is getting laid. like there is way more to what i want than just filling a vagina with my boner. I almost can't even read his articles because it's all, "get laid", "i got laid" or "let's get you laid." like dude i'm not trying to get a bj i'm trying to have a relationship. anyway.... *steps off soap box*

Really? Everyone seems to get that impression for some reason, even though that's not how I read his advice at all. Heck, most of his lovelin-esque relationship advice Q&As that he gives seem to center on relationships.

I feel like, even if a fair portion of time is spent discussing the finer points of obtaining a vahoohah to have fun with, it's a much much MUCH better ratio of love:lust than you'll find on other guy-help sites.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

i'm not trying to get a bj i'm trying to have a relationship.

This is unusually frustrating for me as well. Teens these days (That makes me sound old.. I'm ONLY 19) seem to have sex on their minds A LOT more than love, and for someone who's looking for love, that is a very frustrating feeling.

I know that feel bro.

Current life goals:

April 2012 goals:

"The 'amazing' can only be created by facing fear, risk, and failure during the process." -Joel Brown

"A brave man is not a man who is not afraid, but one who's will is stronger than his fear." -Unknown

I hear ya! Actually, I look to get more out of today's types of posts than the ones you are referring to. I really like the ones that put a lot of focus on an overall general topic (confidence, don't be a creeper, male privilege, etc). His slant is still typically a "get laid" bias, but I have actually walked away from several of his posts with good general advice. I don't agree with all of what he writes, but enough to keep me reading.

*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Why is this occupation discussion in the "Women don't peek" thread? Actually... now that spezzy posted the code of conduct, is this thread obsolete?

It will never be obsolete!! Well, at least not until we hit 1000 posts! 16 to go!

I do believe it's 10,000.

But ya know. Who's counting. :P

Current life goals:

April 2012 goals:

Guest Snake McClain
Really? Everyone seems to get that impression for some reason, even though that's not how I read his advice at all. Heck, most of his lovelin-esque relationship advice Q&As that he gives seem to center on relationships.

I feel like, even if a fair portion of time is spent discussing the finer points of obtaining a vahoohah to have fun with, it's a much much MUCH better ratio of love:lust than you'll find on other guy-help sites.

maybe i just haven't read enough but it seems wrought with the desire to get nookie. bothers me a bit. but i agree that there is stuff to take away from the other posts. like the one that was just posted. i am about halfway through reading it and i'm liking it a lot so far.

I work two jobs: my 9-5 I work as a pest control/termite technician. Nights and weekends: server at Ruby Tuesday's.

I am happy at one miserable at the other, but bills need to be paid and food needs to be on the table.

I would prefer to be procuring money writing novels or as am anchor on Sportscenter.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

"Sweat more in peace, so you bleed less in war."

Is it safe to say that your happiness level is accurately depicted by your avatar?

Current life goals:

April 2012 goals:

As for happiness at my job.....naw, not really. I've been in worse, but I'm just bored and not at all challenged. In the next few months it will be time to look elsewhere.

Man, I love my avatar... for probably eight years my avatars were all Bill Hicks, and then I found this one GmG comic and... yeah, now I'm Sad Crown Jon. It's perfect. :)

Ok, being an unemployed bum allows me to spend SO much time with my kids, work on my house, go back to school and actually put some effort into working on my novels and shopping them around, so I'd say I'm happier now than I have been since I first got out of college nine years ago.

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides.