Forums are back in action! ×

Men ONLY please...

Guest Snake McClain

I need to run something by the Man Council.

So there's this girl (isn't there ALWAYS a girl?) and I've known her for years. She's a waitress at my favorite local restaurant and that's how we met. We chat from time to time (read: when I can get her to reply) and I'd really like to see more of her, one date at least, but every time we make plans she comes up with something at the last minute and cancels.

I understand intellectually that I should just move along, but I'm kinda hung up on her. We've never spent any time together outside of her work, except for accidentally running into each other out in the world once, but I've known her for upwards of five years on a casual basis and I'm getting incredibly mixed messages. Literally, it's like shes 2 different girls who have two totally different opinions in regards to me.

I'm pretty sure I know how to deal with this, but I want your guys opinions.

Use the Brad Pitt rule

One shot, one life.

There yah go, completely agree.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Gotta get out there guys. The thing I did to meet new friends that worked when I moved last time was to look up local nerdy groups. I focused on nerdy things to be more certain we'd have things in common. Things I looked into were local D&D meet ups, comic cons, and video game conventions. I settled on the D&D meet ups and actually hung with those people for a bit before I ended up just driving home every weekend and not having time. It would have worked out nicely otherwise.

DnD? How nerdy! This is NerdFitness we don---..... wait nevermind :D

well...have you tried online dating? (if that's your bag) or a meetup group? you could get into some cool stuff, fitness related or no, and meet some new cool people men or women.

That's what I'm going to end up doing once I move. I have a lot of friends, but the majority of them are from work, and with the industry I'm in, most of them are from other provinces, and this can't just pop by for beers or something, and the rest are at work while I'm at home. Lol. So it's a royal pain. But I'm keeping tabs on a parkour club and a martial arts dojo for when I move to a more centralized location.

There's also Crossfit....

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

There's also any number of interest clubs, or team sports, if you're willing to try something new.

Definitely thought my life in my old city would be a pain... then I discovered we have a rugby club...... :P

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

There's also any number of interest clubs, or team sports, if you're willing to try something new.

Definitely thought my life in my old city would be a pain... then I discovered we have a rugby club...... :P

^This

+1

Gold Star

Elephant Stamp

Also, thought this was amusing, a quote from the wikipedia article on the Smolov cycle:

Many lifters using this cycle need to ingest extra calories to make up for the extra work, this often takes place in a daily bowl of oats.

thats a whole lotta calories, unless the Russians have crazy oats.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

well...have you tried online dating? (if that's your bag) or a meetup group? you could get into some cool stuff, fitness related or no, and meet some new cool people men or women.

Just gotta say, I recently heard of this site and thought it was an awesome niche idea. Geek 2 Geek. It is, obviously, and nerd focused dating site. Haven't used it myself, but thought I would pass it on when I saw the above post.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

New topic: What would you do with (most of) a week to yourself (but I still have to go to work-ish)...let me explain

My lovely wife is trying to take the kids to a friend's place and the cottage for a few days later in the month. Leaving me with Mon.-Thurs. with no one in the house, and essentially no responsibilities. To some of you this is every week, but it's been a long time since I've had the house to myself. Usually my weeks are pre-planned with taking kids to sports/lessons or watching the kids as my wife goes to her weekly activities or doing chores...basic Dad stuff.

I'm actually kind of concerned that I'll waste the opportunity and end up doing a lot of nothing, so with that in mind I'm looking for suggestions to make the most of my time. One caveat: I still have to work everyday, although if something cool came up I could be convinced to take a day off...hmmm...anyway, here are some of my ideas:

Twilight golf with a couple buddies - I'm terrible at golf but it'd be nice to get our with the guys

Put in a couple long-ass trail runs - Been a while since I've run long in the woods

Go see some live music again - There are a tonne of awesome pubs with live bands here, I kind of stopped doing when we had kids

Outdoor rock climbing - Again, I used to do this several times a week when I had the time, I think this one is a definite (weather permitting)

Buy a Wii game and rock it - I finished Call of Duty Modern Warfare a little while ago, might be time to buy another not-kid-appropriate and put some time in. I have to finish Goldeneye so there's that as well.

Work extra hours and bank time for another occassion/rainy day

Tackle a major Reno job - our front steps are rotting, it'd be nice to get a major job out of the way without little people interrupting

A lot of these can be mashed into the same days (e.g - golf & band, trail run & game, etc.)

Let's hear your suggestions!

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

New topic: What would you do with (most of) a week to yourself (but I still have to go to work-ish)...let me explain

My lovely wife is trying to take the kids to a friend's place and the cottage for a few days later in the month. Leaving me with Mon.-Thurs. with no one in the house, and essentially no responsibilities. To some of you this is every week, but it's been a long time since I've had the house to myself. Usually my weeks are pre-planned with taking kids to sports/lessons or watching the kids as my wife goes to her weekly activities or doing chores...basic Dad stuff.

I'm actually kind of concerned that I'll waste the opportunity and end up doing a lot of nothing, so with that in mind I'm looking for suggestions to make the most of my time. One caveat: I still have to work everyday, although if something cool came up I could be convinced to take a day off...hmmm...anyway, here are some of my ideas:

Twilight golf with a couple buddies - I'm terrible at golf but it'd be nice to get our with the guys

Put in a couple long-ass trail runs - Been a while since I've run long in the woods

Go see some live music again - There are a tonne of awesome pubs with live bands here, I kind of stopped doing when we had kids

Outdoor rock climbing - Again, I used to do this several times a week when I had the time, I think this one is a definite (weather permitting)

Buy a Wii game and rock it - I finished Call of Duty Modern Warfare a little while ago, might be time to buy another not-kid-appropriate and put some time in. I have to finish Goldeneye so there's that as well.

Tackle a major Reno job - our front steps are rotting, it'd be nice to get a major job out of the way without little people interrupting

A lot of these can be mashed into the same days (e.g - golf & band, trail run & game, etc.)

I'd sleep. All. Day. Long.

Elephant Stamp? Looks it up on Google... I guess it's not the Urban Dictionary definition you guys are referring to? :P

Oh no. It was that definition. Giggity.

TBH I didn't know what they meant either, so I google'd it as well. I laughed at the Urban Dictionary definition as well :P

Guest Snake McClain

I tell you what...i say do ALL OF THEM! seriously. just go do a bunch of fun $#!% you don't normally get to do. she's out having fun and relaxing. you do the same. I would.

Happens to me now and again when my wife goes on woek travel since we have no kids. Because of the work commute, I still have noly about 4.5 hours from getting home until I have to go to bed. If I had my old 5.5-6 hours, I'd definitely do the golf. But, since I do have the time crunch, on my gym days I log extra long sessions since I don't have to worry about being home for dinner or hanging out with her for a bit, and on non-gym days I typically either go out to dinner and do guys nights or sit at home and wreak havok in the world of Skyrim (just started a new game!).

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I tell you what...i say do ALL OF THEM! seriously. just go do a bunch of fun $#!% you don't normally get to do. she's out having fun and relaxing. you do the same. I would.

I'd love to, but as Cory said, after commuting I realistically have about 4-5hrs per night to do anything and that's not including eating.

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

Out of all of those ideas, I'd first do the Reno job, then the Trial runs With some Live music, if possible on the first few days (or however long it takes for you to complete the Reno job) then the following days would be Rock climbing and Wii, with Twilight Golfing and possibly more live music.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Mt. Pleasant must be a horrible place all around. I live in Mt. Pleasant, Ohio and I had 9 matches within 20 miles. Most of them in the 17 to 20 mile range, and none within 10 miles. Now, if I expand it to 50 miles, I'll just barely get Pittsburgh, PA and a ton more matches, but I definitely wouldn't travel that far just for a date.

Level 1 Woodwose

Mt. Pleasant must be a horrible place all around. I live in Mt. Pleasant, Ohio and I had 9 matches within 20 miles. Most of them in the 17 to 20 mile range, and none within 10 miles. Now, if I expand it to 50 miles, I'll just barely get Pittsburgh, PA and a ton more matches, but I definitely wouldn't travel that far just for a date.

My friends and I like to call it Valley Tolerable. Since the Michigan MP is in a valley.

I've just noticed so many women I get 'matched' with have terrible grammar, readily admit they don't read and 95% start off with "I'm just a country girl..."

The rest have kids (you can call me an asshole if you want, but I do not want to get involved with someone in her lower 20s who already has kids).

Are you sure it isn't Ohio? Sounds like exactly where I am. Mount Pleasant is on a hill in a valley on a hill in the Ohio Valley, which is part of the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains... And everyone around here is "just a country girl" (though country is commonly misspelled, I wonder if on purpose) and have horrible grammar.

Also, got a good bit of those ladies around too. I can dig not wanting the kid thing; you know where you are in life, what you want and who you don't want (as in little ones running around).

Level 1 Woodwose

Atalan- A: that does sound like Mt. Pleasant. I imagine Lansing (where I'm from) wouldn't be much better.

First thought:

Oh God... Are you sure you aren't confusing Ohio with Michigan too? Lansing, OH is a small town (and by small town, I mean it is a suburb of a village that has fewer than 1200 people) that can be described in the exact same way, about a half hour away from my Mt. Pleasant...

Second thought:

Wait, isn't Lansing, MI the capital of Michigan. It's gotta have a sizeable population and plenty of options for online dating. Well, I guess that depends on if they are too much of a "country girl" to even be able to use the Internet... Hey, Rednecks are horrible everywhere in the MidWest.

Level 1 Woodwose