Forums are back in action! ×

Men ONLY please...

Guest Snake McClain

Hahahaha, the beet red pecs DO instate a slight sense of insanity...

Current life goals:

Eat Paleo | Work Primal | Find a Job | Relax | Get more sleep

April 2012 goals:

10 Chin-ups | 45 Push-ups | Cut out sugary snacks

"The 'amazing' can only be created by facing fear, risk, and failure during the process." -Joel Brown

"A brave man is not a man who is not afraid, but one who's will is stronger than his fear." -Unknown

So i was curious...do you guys find that if you aren't in the gym for a few days (like three or more) you start feeling really down? Like i literally get depressed and feeling like quitting at everything in my life. But once I get in i'm there for about 10 minutes and feel like a different person. Seriously if i'm not in the gym i legitimately think about just dying but I get in there and feel healthy and great. It's the weirdest thing. Do you guys experience this?

Absolutely. My wife will tell me "Go to the gym, Jim, you're getting depressed.". I think it is a combination of things. Of course there is the endorphines, the surge of testosterone, etc. But there is also just the feeling of accomplishment, of visible accomplishment. I'm a technical project manager. How do I measure what I've done during the day? replied to 100 emails? Made plans for other people to do stuff? blah...

But I know that this morning I lifted a ton (literally) of weight (15 reps at 205, 10 reps at 225, 12 reps at 275..yeah, that's over a ton). And it shows on the outside. It is measurable. It is concrete. It is (in a sense) part of what I was physically designed to do. And it reminds me of happy times as a kid, working on the farm with my brothers.

All good, all the time.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I hope the thread here would be a bit better quality. Half of the pictures on that thread are epic fail. Silicon and skinny is not the same thing as healthy, fitness, strong, etc. And I would love to throttle the guy who said that one pole vaulter was 'too fat'.

The one here was actually posted by the girls, trying to inspire themselves.

Found it!

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

Guest Snake McClain
I don't think that's quite what they said - just look at your avatar pic!
Hahahaha, the beet red pecs DO instate a slight sense of insanity...

i think you guys are right. i might have a problem...

Absolutely. My wife will tell me "Go to the gym, Jim, you're getting depressed.". I think it is a combination of things. Of course there is the endorphines, the surge of testosterone, etc. But there is also just the feeling of accomplishment, of visible accomplishment. I'm a technical project manager. How do I measure what I've done during the day? replied to 100 emails? Made plans for other people to do stuff? blah...

But I know that this morning I lifted a ton (literally) of weight (15 reps at 205, 10 reps at 225, 12 reps at 275..yeah, that's over a ton). And it shows on the outside. It is measurable. It is concrete. It is (in a sense) part of what I was physically designed to do. And it reminds me of happy times as a kid, working on the farm with my brothers.

All good, all the time.

i like that your wife notices and cheers you on! awesome.

The one here was actually posted by the girls, trying to inspire themselves.

Found it!

oh sweet lord yes!

Guest Snake McClain

I agree in the threadd that i posted that silicone filled photoshopped women aren't the real deal. I just like to look. but there are some legit female atheletes in that thread. After seeing these two threads i am never dating a woman not in shape ever again. EVER!

I agree in the threadd that i posted that silicone filled photoshopped women aren't the real deal. I just like to look. but there are some legit female atheletes in that thread. After seeing these two threads i am never dating a woman not in shape ever again. EVER!

I haven't gotten a chance to even jump in that thread since I heeded your NSFW warning, but I'm with ya....sounds like nice eye candy to me.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I read somewhere that exercise does the same thing to your brain as anti-depressants do actually; they open up the pleasure centers in the brain and stimulate the hormones that make you "happy." So yes, I totally agree that if a person doesn't go to the gym for a few days, they can start feeling down about themselves. That's why i try to work out as often as possible.

Oh, and 161803398874989? After reading your signature, I finally understand your name. Phi, as in "Fee", or the Golden Ratio, amirite?

Indeed.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

If a girl dead lifts she's worth going on a date. If a girl can dead lift more than her body weight, that's worth a few dates. If she can dead lift me, that's fancy dinner date level. IF she can dead lift MORE than I can, well that will call for a dead lift competition right then and there :D

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Guest Snake McClain
My 125lb friend is deadlifting 295. She's been going batshit about deadlifting 300, which ought to be any day now.

she deadlifts more than my working set. This type of thing pisses me off. I'm this big 190lb man and I feel like a wimp. Not to mention Spezzi dead lifts over 300. like what''s the secret? what am I missing here that allows them to be so awesome? I feel like crap now. I guess I'll go do some deadlifts today.

she deadlifts more than my working set. This type of thing pisses me off. I'm this big 190lb man and I feel like a wimp. Not to mention Spezzi dead lifts over 300. like what''s the secret? what am I missing here that allows them to be so awesome? I feel like crap now. I guess I'll go do some deadlifts today.

Heh, no worries man. You'll get there. And considering your medical history you are doing just fine :D

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

<---Not a deadlifter (for now) but here is my generic, not super helpful advice: moar deadlifts, moar protein, moar sleep, and time?

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

I'm not "that" surprised about the strength in the women's legs and backs for the deadlift (and for the record Bruce, Spezzy is at 350). What shocks me is the hand strength that it takes. And that picture of Spezzy on twitter of her just holding 315 with a smile on her face. She said she "only" had to hold it for a few minutes. I can deadlift 315, but I can't hold it for "minutes"..few or other wise.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Bruce for that Thread you posted, I could kiss you, but I'd rather kiss them instead.

In terms of your depression, Yes, as you lift weights, Testosterone as well as endorphins are activated to course through your body, thus, the "Feeling better after exercising" sensation. Also when you don't lift, your body is expecting those hormones and when it doesn't get them, that explains your depressed feeling.

I've always been a weak skinny Elf of a man, so to speak the truth to you guys, a girl who exercises (despite the fact that I'm exercising myself) would somewhat intimidate me.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I'm not "that" surprised about the strength in the women's legs and backs for the deadlift (and for the record Bruce, Spezzy is at 350). What shocks me is the hand strength that it takes. And that picture of Spezzy on twitter of her just holding 315 with a smile on her face. She said she "only" had to hold it for a few minutes. I can deadlift 315, but I can't hold it for "minutes"..few or other wise.

Note to self: Do NOT shake hands with spezzy...

Guest Snake McClain
Heh, no worries man. You'll get there. And considering your medical history you are doing just fine :D

I think you're right. not to mention i've only been lifting since early november. My dead lift (because of my upper back) started at something like...god I don't remember. i could only do like 65lbs without pain in my spine. The advice i was given (which was invaluable) was to keep doing it with that weight. let the muscles build and take the weight off my spine then slowly add. I did that for about two weeks. after that I was throwing on serious weight (for me). now I'm doing as of last night 275 for a set. Pretty good I guess. Thing is I only wanted to go up to 350-400. but Since Spez is doing 350 now...it makes me wonder how much a guy my size SHOULD be doing according to standards or whatever. but you're right. with my history its amazing i'm doing anything and that is no lie. I like what I'm doing and my numbers as a whole so its all good...i guess. I just want to be seen as strong because I never have in my life.

Except for when I'm mad and fight..then my friends say I hulk out. Which is pretty true. It's like i'm only strong when I'm angry. which is weird kind of.

<---Not a deadlifter (for now) but here is my generic, not super helpful advice: moar deadlifts, moar protein, moar sleep, and time?

This is interesting you say that. Because I know I'm not getting enough protein at all. I'm lifting often enough but lately I've been wondering what I am missing. Like what the key is that I haven't nailed down and I think it's protein honestly. I'm highly considering starting the GOMAD diet on monday (Gallon of Milk A Day). It scares me a bit but I keep hearing good things...so I'll give it a shot. the bummer is i'm going to gain some fat and look bad for a bit. I've never had to "cut" fat so having a cutting phase may be really hard for me. I'm not looking forward to it.

I actually just read yesterday (can't remember where) that genetically women have stronger lower bodies and men have stronger upper bodies. not sure if it's true but this would definitely support the idea.

Bruce for that Thread you posted, I could kiss you, but I'd rather kiss them instead.

In terms of your depression, Yes, as you lift weights, Testosterone as well as endorphins are activated to course through your body, thus, the "Feeling better after exercising" sensation. Also when you don't lift, your body is expecting those hormones and when it doesn't get them, that explains your depressed feeling.

I've always been a weak skinny Elf of a man, so to speak the truth to you guys, a girl who exercises (despite the fact that I'm exercising myself) would somewhat intimidate me.

no kisses needed. I have been relentlessly looking at that thread. those women. my goodness. the thing is i don't like the girls in the bikinis posing. and lingerie. fuck that. i like the girls that just wear the sweat pants and sports bras or whatever. killing me. I need a girlfriend. lol a really really fit girlfriend.

And it would seem you're right. i guess i have to work out every day for the rest of my life now. lol

I'm not going to lie a really strong fit woman is intimidating...but only because of this idea that we are supposed to be the "protectors". I've never actually met a strong/fit woman to be honest so I have no idea how this would go if i were to talk to one. But then i don't really talk to women at all (i'm a bit afraid of them in general if you haven't noticed but that is slowly changing) so i don't know if there's a difference really.

Gah. I need moar deadlift or she's gonna make me feel bad. Shoot, by weight ratio I'm already getting spanked.
1.39 vs 2.84... dear me.... got some work to do fellas.... We're being Emasculated.
Let's face it: We are the weaker sex :eek-new:

It would seem that we have all been pummeled by her scores in general. Hell I can't even bench my own body weight. You would look at me and think I could but I can't. I can deadlifth close to 100lbs over my body weight but I'm not there yet. I really am curious how long it took her to get to these numbers. how often does she work out? Food is the key too it seems. She's scary. Legit scary. I know she reads these but it's whatever. She literally scares the crap out of me. If i saw her in person I probably wouldn't even speak to her. Not to be rude. I do the same thing with men stronger than me. It's a fear thing. I don't mind having the crap beat out of me in wrestling but put me in a room with people who are better than me at something and I'm terrified.

It would seem that we have all been pummeled by her scores in general. Hell I can't even bench my own body weight. You would look at me and think I could but I can't. I can deadlifth close to 100lbs over my body weight but I'm not there yet. I really am curious how long it took her to get to these numbers. how often does she work out? Food is the key too it seems. She's scary. Legit scary. I know she reads these but it's whatever. She literally scares the crap out of me. If i saw her in person I probably wouldn't even speak to her. Not to be rude. I do the same thing with men stronger than me. It's a fear thing. I don't mind having the crap beat out of me in wrestling but put me in a room with people who are better than me at something and I'm terrified.

I'm sure she can answer better than I can, but from most of what I've read of what Spezzy has said about her training is that she eats a lot to help get that strong. As for timeframe:

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-9.16.35-AM.jpg

And dude: she's a normal friendly person. Without knowing about her through NF you wouldn't realize she can deadlift almost twice your bodyweight (and more than double mine). Fits my respect for unexpected badasses (which I want to be). I love the "there's no way he/she can do tha...HOLY CRAP THEY'RE DOING IT"

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Gah. I need moar deadlift or she's gonna make me feel bad. Shoot, by weight ratio I'm already getting spanked.

Go lift something heavy! NOW! MOAR DEADLIFTS!

1.39 vs 2.84... dear me.... got some work to do fellas.... We're being Emasculated.

What's the 2.84 number?

And dude: she's a normal friendly person. Without knowing about her through NF you wouldn't realize she can deadlift almost twice your bodyweight (and more than double mine). Fits my respect for unexpected badasses (which I want to be). I love the "there's no way he/she can do tha...HOLY CRAP THEY'RE DOING IT"

Well normal is a relative term there Tin Man :D

I have this issue too, about being intimidated by people I believe are better than me at something. At work especially. But the key is to remember the one thing that you are a badass at and that you KNOW you are better than them. This helps to keep it in perspective that everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses. :)