Forums are back in action! ×

Men ONLY please...

Guest Snake McClain

Aight, I feel like it's time to get to know everyone a little better.

What does everybody here do for a living? College? Full-time job? Traveler? What takes up your 9-5 each day?

College, with internships, so come May I'll be working full time for 0 pay.

It's gonna be GREAT! :P

Aight, I feel like it's time to get to know everyone a little better.

What does everybody here do for a living? College? Full-time job? Traveler? What takes up your 9-5 each day?

I work for the local council. My job involves database maintenance, so the only part of me that gets significant exercise in the day is my fingers. It's probably quite a good sign that I've stayed as slim as I have!

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

systems integrator (project manager) for a bank. linux architect on the side

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

The job I get paid to do is behavioral therapy with children. I am also a nursing student. I do some freelance writing but have not been doing it so much lately with 16 hour days between work and nursing school.

Dwarf Ranger STR 3 // DEX 2 // STA 2 // CON 4 // WIS 2 // CHA 2"It's Simple, so says the Captain;Face Forward,Move Slow,Forge Ahead.Onward! Onward! Onward!"

Unemployed Bum, I have just finished my B.S. in Biology: Biomedical sciences, My 9-5? Wake up, cook breakfast for myself and my mom (still live at home), clean/run errands, cook lunch for the family, then Study for the MCAT until 8pm where I exercise/run. Currently looking for a job, perferrably in a hospital so that I can start networking, I've signed up for volunteering, which should commence at the end of this month.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

University student f'yeah! Doesn't even take up my 9-5 and it's like a hobby. :D

Other than that I tutor kids for a job, teach them right from wrong so that they may pierce the veil themselves: that mathematics does not arise from divinity but reason. That they will see that mathematics does not command you to be smart, it commands you to be creative.

See what I did there?

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Power Engineer (aka Stationary Engineer). Not a real engineer but a boiler/turbine operator. I'm a control room supervisor for a large electrical generation company here in Ontario. I look after two 480 MW, coal fired generators and work 12 hr shifts. So, if you see me on here, I'm probably at work.

Guest Snake McClain

Well i don't know where i fit in but i'll just tell you what's going on with my life.

1) i work for liberty mutual insurance. sort of. i actually work for Pitney Bowes doing work for liberty mutual. I am underpaid (which leads to)

2) I am starting school in august. I'm considering electrical engineering but I don't know enough about the work or if I'll enjoy it. chances are I can do it and be fine but I don't want to be bored and hate my life. It is actually a 2 year degree in elec engineering technology so i'd be a "technician". I can't seem to find any real info on what that means. I've also considered something with comupters.

3) what i really want to do is write (because I'm quite good at it) but making a career in writing fiction (primarily comic books) is no easy task and i am tired of being poor. So no sense in going to school to be more poor forever.

4) I am training to be a pro wrestler (if you don't know this you don't me). This is my life long dream. I'm doing my best but chances of making it to a level where I'll make money....well not good. So i'm going to treat it as my full time job but not expect anything to come of it. just work at it as if I get paid a million dollars a year to do and hopefully one day i will get paid a million dollars to do it. :D

If anyone has any pointers on school (i'm 30 and this is my first go) then please chime in. Also if you can tell me anything about working in electrical engineering or with computers i'd love to hear your thoughts about what to do. I just literally am picking something i can do and will pay me because i'm sick of being broke all the time and having no future prospects.

If anyone has any pointers on school (i'm 30 and this is my first go) then please chime in. Also if you can tell me anything about working in electrical engineering or with computers i'd love to hear your thoughts about what to do. I just literally am picking something i can do and will pay me because i'm sick of being broke all the time and having no future prospects.

This is exactly the position I was in about 7 years ago when I made the move from slightly-better-than-minimum-wage temp jobs to proper programming. I really wanted to to electrical engeneering too, since the coursework seems pretty cool, but like you I never managed to get a straight answer as to whan an EE does every day.

I'd highly recommend going into programming if you don't know what else to do. It's interesting, cerebral and creative work, it's in high demand, and it's well paid. If you're lucky, you can land a flexible role that will allow you to pursue your other interests more easily too.

The cool thing about programming is that you don't really need a degree to do it. Yes, having one, or working towards one will look good on your resume, but generally, with coding, you can either do it or you can't. I work with a handful of amazing programmers, and only one of them has a degree.

It take a lot of hard work and deidaction to get your head around the basics of writing code, but once you have it, it's transferrable to other languages, etc. If you want an easy way to have a taste of it, start writing macros in Excel at work. Try recording a macro, then seeing what it looks like in the VBA designer (see Google). Change a parameter or two, and see what it does...start using macros wherever you can and hand-coding them as much as possible, and you'll be able to write basic code before you know it. Once you have a foundation, the rest is just application.

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

Well the EE's I work with have to know the NEC backwards, forwards, inside, and out, they design/review the E (electrical) set of drawings, and have to specify and order generators and transformers. The basics on our drawings that they have to really check are box layout and types, wire sizing, and grounding/lightning protection. Our EE's deal with 120V+ AC, the electronics engineers deal with the 12V (+others) DC stuff.

Most engineers don't do the same thing day after day. Things tend to vary depending on where in the project lifecycle each of your projects are.

I think for most engineers, what you learn and do in school is only vaguely related to what you actually do after school. Learning the problem solving and critical thinking skills of an engineer in school is far more important than the all of the details they teach. I walk on site, look around, and assemble things in my head in a 3D model right there when I'm really doing my design work (I'm not a detail designer, more big picture). I can't say that is a skill I learned in school.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!