Forums are back in action! ×

Men ONLY please...

Guest Snake McClain

Do any of the guys reading this have kids? I want kids but I find it terrifying trying to imagine bringing a kid from complete dependency to independce...to be functional as an adult and not grow up to be an a-hole. Scariest thing I can think of right there.

I do. Just one so far, and it's pretty awesome.

It can be a bit scary. Like all things though, it's much easier once it happens (having a child) and the fear of the unknown is gone. Trust me, I was crapping my pants before the baby came. My life changed completely, and to an extent well beyond the worst case scenarios I had imagined. Turned out I was just a big, self-centred pussy. I'm happy to say that I've manned-up significantly since her arrival, with some help from nf, of course.

To address your post directly: watching them slowly gain indepedence = very cool. Potential that they might be a giant douche despite your best efforts = not so much.

But that's how it goes, I guess...

Guest Snake McClain
I do. Just one so far, and it's pretty awesome.

It can be a bit scary. Like all things though, it's much easier once it happens (having a child) and the fear of the unknown is gone. Trust me, I was crapping my pants before the baby came. My life changed completely, and to an extent well beyond the worst case scenarios I had imagined. Turned out I was just a big, self-centred pussy. I'm happy to say that I've manned-up significantly since her arrival, with some help from nf, of course.

To address your post directly: watching them slowly gain indepedence = very cool. Potential that they might be a giant douche despite your best efforts = not so much.

But that's how it goes, I guess...

I'm glad this is going well for you. I imagine it is pretty radical.

I Dont know what "sloppy" means but where is this Hamilton and how can I get there? I've decided if a girl can't do five pullups or doesn't want to learn how i won't date her. Lol

Haha I was making a jest because you said without the same interests instead of with. Hamilton (where I am now) is full of cardio bunnies, so no pullups. Sloppy = the only pull up they do is when they pull up... you know.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Guest Snake McClain
Haha I was making a jest because you said without the same interests instead of with. Hamilton (where I am now) is full of cardio bunnies, so no pullups. Sloppy = the only pull up they do is when they pull up... you know.

AAAHAHAHAHAHahaha I know the type.

Yep, the change was so completely drastic, you really cannot imagine it until it happens. I wonder if it is less of a change for women though, they are sort of eased in to the drastic life changing moment by carrying it around. No matter how much you try to help, dad is still a detached bystander, nothing can change that.

At least you get a while to figure out the whole parenting thing. Aside from attending to their basic needs, there isn't much to it the first few months, just figure out how to stop them from crying. Getting to the point where you are actively teaching them something (as opposed to passively through observation) comes much, much later.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

First, I second that on the guest post thing, simply well written truth.

Second, yeah, stay at it and you get stronger. I've gone from 1 chin to doing 3 in a few weeks.

Thirdly, I like big butts and I can not lie. I also like boobs, but am impartial to size, though shape is important.

Just started to try some wide grip pull ups this past week to see how many I could do. My starting point looks to be 3. Time to get that to 10!

Your third item.....YES YES AND YES!!!

I've found some women just don't think it is funny. Clearly they are not my type of woman. I think it's awesome you can say stuff like that to her and you both laugh.

Do any of the guys reading this have kids? I want kids but I find it terrifying trying to imagine bringing a kid from complete dependency to independce...to be functional as an adult and not grow up to be an a-hole. Scariest thing I can think of right there.

No kids myself, and sadly, I have become so set in my ways, I'm not sure if I want any now. I have 3 nieces and 1 nephew, and love them to death. I love watching them grow and just overall progress through life. I also like being able to give them back to their parents for the important aspects (discipline, education, expenses, etc). My brother & his wife, and sister & her husband are raising them like champs! I'm just as proud of them as parents as I am of the nieces and nephew. For me....right now, I'm just a little too focused on myself....plus, having a wife or lady in my life needs to come first :-)

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

As noted, ladywildross and I have 5 kids ages 23-30ish, 2 boys and 3 girls, plus 2 grandsons and a granddaughter on the way. It is not as hard as you think and harder than you can possibly imagine. And also very rewarding. The things you think are going to be hard, usually aren't (walking, talking, potty training, manners). The things you don't even think about turn out to be like Mount Everest. And as Scotticus says, the biggest things will be inside your own heart and mind. "yes the kid/s is/are screaming/fighting/killing each other, but the XYZ team is about to score!!!". Or that is (was) my favorite thing and now its trashed/can't do/etc.

It is the heart issues that are hard. I think it is why God wants us to have children and to be fathers. Otherwise, why bother growing up? Even if you are not a Christian, I highly recommend the movie "Courageous" just as a challenge to be a man, to be a father, to prepare to be a father, to be a better father.

Even though the closest kids is almost 300 miles away, and one is 8,000 miles away, it is still amazing how connected we are.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Guest Snake McClain
As noted, wifey and I have 5 kids ages 23-30ish, 2 boys and 3 girls, plus 2 grandsons and a granddaughter on the way. It is not as hard as you think and harder than you can possibly imagine. And also very rewarding. The things you think are going to be hard, usually aren't (walking, talking, potty training, manners). The things you don't even think about turn out to be like Mount Everest. And as Scotticus says, the biggest things will be inside your own heart and mind. "yes the kid/s is/are screaming/fighting/killing each other, but the XYZ team is about to score!!!". Or that is (was) my favorite thing and now its trashed/can't do/etc.

It is the heart issues that are hard. I think it is why God wants us to have children and to be fathers. Otherwise, why bother growing up? Even if you are not a Christian, I highly recommend the movie "Courageous" just as a challenge to be a man, to be a father, to prepare to be a father, to be a better father.

Even though the closest kids is almost 300 miles away, and one is 8,000 miles away, it is still amazing how connected we are.

Either God or Evolution whatever someone believes it is sort of built into us to have families I think. Walking, talking and potty training aren't the things that scare me. It's the how to be confident and not a bully type stuff. how to work hard. how to be respectful. How to have empathy. how to be compassionate and not selfish.

Just thought I'd drop a line here and point out that between lifting weights, eating paleo, and losing pounds (and inches) from my waist my wife insists that I have gotten substantially bigger. Downstairs. Between the tires. Round the corner from the outhouse. In the lower regions.

I'm talking about my junk here.

Anyway, I guess I can't be sure, myself, but I'll take her word for it. And if nothing else, it's a hell of a ringing endorsement for getting fit!

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

Guest Snake McClain
Just thought I'd drop a line here and point out that between lifting weights, eating paleo, and losing pounds (and inches) from my waist my wife insists that I have gotten substantially bigger. Downstairs. Between the tires. Round the corner from the outhouse. In the lower regions.

I'm talking about my junk here.

Anyway, I guess I can't be sure, myself, but I'll take her word for it. And if nothing else, it's a hell of a ringing endorsement for getting fit!

This literally had me lol'ing at work!

And hey man if she is saying it is so then who are we to argue right?

Okay, I'll chime in on this one. I'm pretty sure I don't know anyone here. :) Anyway, I heard the whole 30lbs loss = 1" gained length and I wanted to test the theory myself, since I had some weight to lose anyway. Well I have measurements at 10lb increments with a starting weight of 280 and a current weight of 240. With 40lbs of loss, I have gained 1.25" of length. So that's pretty close to the 30lb = 1" rule. Now I'm sure it will be different for each person depending on how they hold their weight. But I thought I'd share my results so far. I'm hoping to get down to 200lbs so I should have more data in the months to come. (please don't judge me :hopelessness: )

Okay, I'll chime in on this one. I'm pretty sure I don't know anyone here. :) Anyway, I heard the whole 30lbs loss = 1" gained length and I wanted to test the theory myself, since I had some weight to lose anyway. Well I have measurements at 10lb increments with a starting weight of 280 and a current weight of 240. With 40lbs of loss, I have gained 1.25" of length. So that's pretty close to the 30lb = 1" rule. Now I'm sure it will be different for each person depending on how they hold their weight. But I thought I'd share my results so far. I'm hoping to get down to 200lbs so I should have more data in the months to come. (please don't judge me :hopelessness: )

This is awesome that you had the forethought to measure incrementally. I have my measurement at 255 or 260, I'll have to compare once I lose a bit more.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Guest Snake McClain
Just think of it as you are already able to use all that God gave you. Some of us are still wasting some because at some point we thought cheeseburgers were better.

LOL i should not laugh but that was damn funny. To be fair i think i got lucky and was born with a high metabolism. I used to eat like crazy all the time. didn't matter what it was.

I have 3" hidden?

*goes for a run*

Honestly, I have never heard of this rule until this thread started.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

so you've been measuring this from the beginning...

...as a public service, you should write an article here advising newbs to track this important measurement from the get-go...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

This is awesome that you had the forethought to measure incrementally. I have my measurement at 255 or 260, I'll have to compare once I lose a bit more.

Et tu, Brute?

I feel stupid now for not thinking of this...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Only problem is: it would only affect length. Girth is staying the same.

to me that's like saying you wouldn't take $1Mln if it was in a single stack, rather than stacked in a perfect brick... we're dudes and in our World, bigger is better... what you say...?