Forums are back in action! ×

Men ONLY please...

Guest Snake McClain

Rejection sucks...

And I found that double-standards are pretty evident as well. Found this girl on Facebook I've been friends with for a while, but we were never really friends. We started chatting, she's a real nerdy girl who wants to chill in her sweatpants and watch movies instead of go out. Awesome! She's perfect. I feel like we could hit it off.

So I man up and make the first move.

"Oh, you dated a friend of mine who I rarely talk to anymore, so sorry, gonna have to say no."

-_________________________-

So yes. I would LOVE for this "dating" thing to be MUCH easier. :/

Current life goals:

Eat Paleo | Work Primal | Find a Job | Relax | Get more sleep

April 2012 goals:

10 Chin-ups | 45 Push-ups | Cut out sugary snacks

"The 'amazing' can only be created by facing fear, risk, and failure during the process." -Joel Brown

"A brave man is not a man who is not afraid, but one who's will is stronger than his fear." -Unknown

meh, it doesn't really matter

we adapt, we move forward, we get stronger.

Actually, it matters to me. There was something different about NF, and now that there is this big push to create a bunch of stuff for women with the idea that fitness topics in general are "always about men so post anywhere" seems really myopic, especially seeing how many women just swept in and posted in our guild. Add to that the recreation of this place in really silly names and ideas (the "Assassin's Guild"? Really?), I'm wondering whether or not I choose to remain here. I can just as easily subscribe to the blog and call it a day. NF has a great mission, but this decision was a "Fail" as far as I'm concerned.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

My BLOG

MY NF Blog

Add to that the recreation of this place in really silly names and ideas (the "Assassin's Guild"? Really?),

The names are to tie in with the Online Multiple Fitness Game (OMFG) that was started a while back on the boards but was removed as they work on a full fledged site for it.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Actually, it matters to me. There was something different about NF, and now that there is this big push to create a bunch of stuff for women with the idea that fitness topics in general are "always about men so post anywhere" seems really myopic, especially seeing how many women just swept in and posted in our guild. Add to that the recreation of this place in really silly names and ideas (the "Assassin's Guild"? Really?), I'm wondering whether or not I choose to remain here. I can just as easily subscribe to the blog and call it a day. NF has a great mission, but this decision was a "Fail" as far as I'm concerned.

Hey David,

I just wanted to say that I agree that this decision, or at least the way that it happened, was a major fail. The more I think about it, the more it bothers me. I'm going to assume that there was a good reason for it, though that reason has yet to be presented. I do think, though, that the arguments akin to "women need a special area to be away from the menfolk" and (as you presented) "fitness topics in general are 'always about men so post anywhere'" are the height of sexism and implies some things about women's roles here that make me sad.

Regards,

Perry

I do think, though, that the arguments akin to "women need a special area to be away from the menfolk" and (as you presented) "fitness topics in general are 'always about men so post anywhere'" are the height of sexism and implies some things about women's roles here that make me sad.

I was going to be finished with this, but this is the third time this has come up - so just one more for me. Maybe I'm just naive, but I thought the attitude around here was not that "fitness topics are about men", but that "fitness topics are about everyone". We have a large, vocal, female presence here - and that's one of the things that makes this place great. That said, there are some female specific issues (hormones, time of month, pregnancy, etc) - and I don't think having a specific spot for those means that the "women need a special area to be away from the menfolk". Men posted in that section before, and I'm sure they will continue to now. It's not about excluding anyone from anywhere - it's just a way to organize the board discussions. I'm surprised that comes off as offensive or sexist to anybody.

Again, I agree that it may not have been handled appropriately, and that at least an announcement was warranted.

I was going to be finished with this, but this is the third time this has come up - so just one more for me. Maybe I'm just naive, but I thought the attitude around here was not that "fitness topis are about men", but that "fitness topics are about everyone". We have a large, vocal, female presence here - and that's one of the things that makes this place great. That said, there are some female specific issues (hormones, time of month, pregnancy, etc) - and I don't think having a specific spot for those means that the "women need a special area to be away from the menfolk". Men posted in that section before, and I'm sure they will continue to now. It's not about excluding anyone from anywhere - it's just a way to organize the board discussions. I'm surprised that comes off as offensive or sexist to anybody.

Again, I agree that it may not have been handled appropriately, and that at least an announcement was warranted.

I don't see it as "fitness topics are about men" either, but the idea that women have very specific issues (hormones, pregnancy, etc) seems to imply that men don't. All you have to do is re-read post #1 that started this thread to see that there are some men topics that some men here would like to simply address with other men.

One thing that I am reading is that almost everyone agrees that the way this was handled was a fail. At least we got that going :)

EDIT: and after writing that sentence with 3 occurrences of the word "men" in it, I now have the theme song to "Two and a half men" stuck in my head.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

But when the Men's Guild was set up, that's not what happened. It was just a bunch of OT stuff.

Not really IMO. First, the guild lasted for what? 1, 2, 3 weeks? Never had time to get to that point, but I liked the Bully thread and dating thread. Guys were probably bullied differently than women growing up. The dating one too. I would give different advice on dating depending on your gender. Those are good examples of what good threads could have come out of it. Yeah, most of the others were very OT, but again, there wasn't enough time to get it going. Just my opinion.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I am having a bad day, so I am going to overreact to this.

the recreation of this place in really silly names and ideas (the "Assassin's Guild"? Really?)

The "silly names and ideas" are from this post. So yes, really. It's NERD Fitness.

now that there is this big push to create a bunch of stuff for women with the idea that fitness topics in general are "always about men so post anywhere"

Nobody said "that fitness topics in general are 'always about men so post anywhere'". Well by "nobody" I mean "nobody who wasn't just throwing out anything they could think of as potential reasons the Men's Guild is gone."

seeing how many women just swept in and posted in our guild

I don't get what the problem is with the women piping in on topics THEY CAN HELP WITH. To my knowledge most of the women got to those threads and posted there because they just checked "New Posts" and saw a thread they could contribute to without even knowing that it was in the Men's Guild. I get that not as many guys posted in the Women's Guild, but how much do we have to contribute on threads such as "Exercise & Makeup", "Nuva Ring", "Hair Thread", "Sports Bra Recommendations", etc? And if a guy does and pipes in on something in the Women's Guild I don't see any of the women objecting if he has something constructive to say. And what equivalent male topics are there? They exist but are far fewer in number. I think it's much less likely that any of the women would comment on a thread if it was titled "ED and Exercise" or something else very male-specific.

I don't know if you realized, but this community is rapidly growing and, by extension, changing. While this happens things are going to change. Heck the Men's Guild was created without a word, a decent amount of time after Spezzy asked if we wanted it. YES I would prefer for there to have been an explanation and disagree with the decision to delete it without warning but NO I don't see what the big friggin' deal is. Steve and Staci are still finding their feet and forging a scaleable direction for the forums because they rightly see the value of this community. Notice that Steve plugs it in nearly every single post he writes.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

All those threads still exist though.. they're just at the bottom of the page in The Pub.

I'm gonna wait and see if we get an explanation before I speak my mind.

Current life goals:

April 2012 goals:

"The 'amazing' can only be created by facing fear, risk, and failure during the process." -Joel Brown

"A brave man is not a man who is not afraid, but one who's will is stronger than his fear." -Unknown

Not really IMO. First, the guild lasted for what? 1, 2, 3 weeks? Never had time to get to that point, but I liked the Bully thread and dating thread. Guys were probably bullied differently than women growing up. The dating one too. I would give different advice on dating depending on your gender. Those are good examples of what good threads could come out of it. Yeah, most of the others were very OT, but again, there wasn't enough time to get it going. Just my opinion.

I can respect that.

1315625338765.png

I guess I take bigger issue with people thinking that this place is sexist or gender-centric because the "Men's Guild" is gone. We have such an amazing community, and the people are what make it so. At the end of the day, the organization of the sub-forums matters little.

I'm fine with a Women's Guild but not Men's. Just make threads that make it clear it's "guy-centered". I can't see a whole section devoted to it, especially since it's not "secured" in any way to one gender.

Fact is, deliberate or not, about 90% of of strength and conditioning sites and resources out there are default guy-centric. There's a reason why a lot of them have started a weekly "women training" type post, because they recognize that, applicable as most of the information is for both genders, it can be welcoming and easier to find specific information for women if it's grouped together. And God knows more women strength training is a damn fine thing. It's nice for them to see they're not alone, whereas men typically aren't going to have that concern. Nerds in general might, but that's what the this whole site is for. But there tends to not be so much anxiety about being the only guy in the weightroom, y'know?

Just my 2 copper pieces.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

...really?

What is this... I don't even...

Current life goals:

April 2012 goals:

My B. made the connection of majority empowerment vs minority empowerment and forgot about the other unhappy motives involved. Made sense on the surface (to me, at least).

ANYWHO, I'd like a Men's Guild to talk about more dude related stuffs like defending your family or bullying, from a man's perspective. These are things that are seen very differently based on gender, and so are specific.

My B. made the connection of majority empowerment vs minority empowerment and forgot about the other unhappy motives involved. Made sense on the surface (to me, at least).

ANYWHO, I'd like a Men's Guild to talk about more dude related stuffs like defending your family or bullying, from a man's perspective. These are things that are seen very differently based on gender, and so are specific.

Idk, what does being a woman/man have to do with fitness at all. Ladies and men can post their stuff in the same forum and there'd be no issues. Dating thread started pretty much all the OT leakage. I assumed by the end of it all the forums were meant to be that way. If this is a fitness community shouldn't the conversations be fitness related. Dating/bullying may be motivation but they aren't fitness at all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk