Forums are back in action! ×

Men ONLY please...

Guest Snake McClain

A good mantra (that I should live by a lot more than I actually do) is to always go with the decision that makes your life more interesting.

When taken out of context with the rest of the poem (which it almost always is), the last stanza of The Road Not Taken fits really well:

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

I've had epiphany recently.

Women are just like cats. If you know how to behave around cats you're good to go. If not, there's always the internet. Much less crap than tutorials including women.

Case in point - curiosity and peeking into this thread.

CoreyD knows what he is saying. Shouting on cats won't get you anywhere. :P

STR: 2 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3 / CON: 2 / WIS: 3 / CHA: 3

PanHEMAphiliac.

Guest Snake McClain

Hey dudes. I'm just going to vent here. Right now I'm feeling pretty terrified about my life. I'm seeking advice and this is my man counsel so if you guys can help I'd appreciate it. So here goes.

I have never gone to school. And I was planning to start this year. Then that plan got screwed up and pushed me back to January. And now some things have come up in my life (I'd rather not say what right now...but maybe I will) and now I have to move that time line forward and I cannot wait until January. I need to graduate as soon as possible. SO i have 2 years of school that I need to get done that fast. no later. I've never done anything like this and just feel completely overwhelmed and I'm nearly in tears by both the frustration and the joy of the idea my life is finally moving forward. I know this is going to be hard and I just feel like screaming right now because I can see all the b.s. I'm going to have to suffer through to make this happen. I'm just so tired of life being so hard on me and I really need for my time to come. My moment of success. I just need it all to come together just once in my life so this can happen. I am terrified that everything in my life that I want rests on the next 2 years. If i mess up a form...i don't go and everything falls apart. If i don't get a new vehicle soon everything falls apart. If I don't have a job while at school everything falls apart. I am literally freaking the fuck out right now.

Snake McClain has hit his wall of what he can carry and he's scared to death. Truly for the first time in his entire life. Congratulations men. You are here to witness it. Now please help me up. Because I'm sort of stuck.

You can do it, man. Just double check everything. Utilize the people at the school to make sure you have all your forms. Concentrate as much as you can on finding a job that will work with your school schedule. Don't be afraid to drive a car that isn't sexy if it works. Keep that chin up. Win.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Cowboy - Human Adventurer
STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 2 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Guest Snake McClain
You can do it, man. Just double check everything. Utilize the people at the school to make sure you have all your forms. Concentrate as much as you can on finding a job that will work with your school schedule. Don't be afraid to drive a car that isn't sexy if it works. Keep that chin up. Win.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

The thing is the car I drive now is not mine. I need one. And my classes will be online. The thing is where I work. It's sort of screwed up here. Good money but some serious issues. I can maintain being at school online while I'm here. that isn't the problem. I just have to do it right. I can't afford to screw up anything else in my life and there is a lot (my whole life basically) riding on this so if I make the mistake then I'm in trouble for sure. It's just so much harder when you know there is something riding on it.

The only manly counsel I can muster up.

"Don't worry 'bout a thing, 'Cause every little thing gonna be all right.".

The way I see it, is people far worse off have made it through school, we can too. I mean, you're a nerd man! A Rebel in its truest form! Getting this done is simply the next level in your life. Do you simply give up on a video game, because the next level is going to be hard? NO! You look up the godmode cheat code and slink your way through it! (Wait, that was a bad analogy. Forget that last part:) ). Don't worry! You literally have a forum full of nerds that can assist you with anything you need!

Guest Snake McClain
The only manly counsel I can muster up.

"Don't worry 'bout a thing, 'Cause every little thing gonna be all right.".

The way I see it, is people far worse off have made it through school, we can too. I mean, you're a nerd man! A Rebel in its truest form! Getting this done is simply the next level in your life. Do you simply give up on a video game, because the next level is going to be hard? NO! You look up the godmode cheat code and slink your way through it! (Wait, that was a bad analogy. Forget that last part:) ). Don't worry! You literally have a forum full of nerds that can assist you with anything you need!

All very true. This is just tough man. But yes. God Mode. How do I hit that?

Honestly I don't know if I feel too much better yet. I'm slowly plugging away.

All very true. This is just tough man. But yes. God Mode. How do I hit that?

You don't just hit god mode. You bust your ass off to get God Mode. Best advice I can give you is to study hard. I'm a firm believer in that anyone can learn anything, bar exceptional circumstances. And I work with kids who supposedly have no talent for mathematics at all. People believe you absolutely need talent to be good at mathematics. That's horseshit. Given that the student is motivated and has the time, you can retrain someone's thinking patterns so that they become 'magically' good at mathematics. To become exceptional, yes, that requires an extraordinary amount of time and talent becomes very significant. But to become good, no.

Do your homework, turn in your papers on time, always ask for feedback and work ahead. Make sure you spend a lot of quality time with the material. That way you'll be prepared and you'll know you'll be prepared, preventing blackouts.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Guest Snake McClain
You don't just hit god mode. You bust your ass off to get God Mode. Best advice I can give you is to study hard. I'm a firm believer in that anyone can learn anything, bar exceptional circumstances. And I work with kids who supposedly have no talent for mathematics at all. People believe you absolutely need talent to be good at mathematics. That's horseshit. Given that the student is motivated and has the time, you can retrain someone's thinking patterns so that they become 'magically' good at mathematics. To become exceptional, yes, that requires an extraordinary amount of time and talent becomes very significant. But to become good, no.

Do your homework, turn in your papers on time, always ask for feedback and work ahead. Make sure you spend a lot of quality time with the material. That way you'll be prepared and you'll know you'll be prepared, preventing blackouts.

This is rocking advice. For me it's just having the time to work full time and school full time. That is a hard task for me. I've never done this. It's not about having the ability to learn. Just having the time to do it all correctly. I'm scared to death to tell you the truth.

I feel like I'm missing something here. What is your job and what are you going to school for? You seem to have the proper motivation but you just need to keep calm and in control. Take this 1 step at a time and don't let yourself get overwhelmed by the big picture. What defines school full time for you? 18 credit hours?

Semper Gumby-Always FlexiblePain is weakness leaving the body.FITOCRACY

Clearly, digits did not go home.

Snakey boy, everyone gets scared as all shite when comtemplating school. It's why first week of college is always such a BIG DEAL to people.

A LOT of people also over-estimate the difficulty of school. For the most part, the actual difficulty lies in over-coming the lethargy towards school work that most people develop. If you put quality time in, you'll succeed, and I've known plenty of people who worked full-time while earning their degrees. It's doable, so long as you don't freak yourself out and panic.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Guest Snake McClain
I feel like I'm missing something here. What is your job and what are you going to school for? You seem to have the proper motivation but you just need to keep calm and in control. Take this 1 step at a time and don't let yourself get overwhelmed by the big picture. What defines school full time for you? 18 credit hours?

The thing missing is I now feel rushed. Some things have come up in my life that now have changed my timeline from "do this at your own pace and be comfortable, but quickly" to "HOLY SHIT GO AS FAST AS POSSIBLE THIS HAS TO GET DONE RIGHT NOW AHAHAHAAHHHHHGGHHHHHH!"

I'm planning on 12 credit hours. If I can do 18 I will but I don't have the pre-reqs needed to make all those happen right now. The rest will come in semester 2.

Clearly, digits did not go home.

Snakey boy, everyone gets scared as all shite when comtemplating school. It's why first week of college is always such a BIG DEAL to people.

A LOT of people also over-estimate the difficulty of school. For the most part, the actual difficulty lies in over-coming the lethargy towards school work that most people develop. If you put quality time in, you'll succeed, and I've known plenty of people who worked full-time while earning their degrees. It's doable, so long as you don't freak yourself out and panic.

I think you're on to something here. I work hard. I am intelligent. My comprehension is pretty solid. So...you're probably right. But as I've said before the work/school portion is only half the issue. The other half is that if I don't get this done I lose some other things in my life that I personally (as in inside person/human being) cannot afford to lose. I'm behind and I need to gain ground lost over the past years. I know it sounds vague but it's how i'm going to play it for now (for fear of mockery). I'm really trying not to lose my $#!% here. I'm thinking i'm leaving the office early and hitting the gym to get this frustration out. because right now I feel like hulking out and crying.

I think you're on to something here. I work hard. I am intelligent. My comprehension is pretty solid. So...you're probably right. But as I've said before the work/school portion is only half the issue. The other half is that if I don't get this done I lose some other things in my life that I personally (as in inside person/human being) cannot afford to lose. I'm behind and I need to gain ground lost over the past years. I know it sounds vague but it's how i'm going to play it for now (for fear of mockery). I'm really trying not to lose my $#!% here. I'm thinking i'm leaving the office early and hitting the gym to get this frustration out. because right now I feel like hulking out and crying.

Do what you need to do to calm down. Just remember we aren't here to belittle you or bring you down in any way. We are here to support you and help you in any way we can. Then again I also understand your privacy is yours to keep and there are certain things I'm not comfortable about talking about on here despite the fact that it would be a good thing to get off my chest.

Semper Gumby-Always FlexiblePain is weakness leaving the body.FITOCRACY

May I suggest the following song (for either hulking out or for crying. or both at the same time)

And really, whether or not you decide to tell us, it doesn't matter. We won't judge or mock. I mean, there was a thread about bleeding penises on here. I only snickered a little when I read that. This thread was started by talking about sexual drive, and hot teachers. If we haven't mocked you yet, we won't start now :)

This is rocking advice. For me it's just having the time to work full time and school full time. That is a hard task for me. I've never done this. It's not about having the ability to learn. Just having the time to do it all correctly. I'm scared to death to tell you the truth.

I've done something similar briefly (took 2 night classes with full time work) and it's a pain and takes a huge amount of time, but worth it. Doing it online and cutting travel time out should help. That's only 6 credit hours though, 12-18 while working and trying to work out may be a bit much. I'd honestly say ease into it and make sure you can handle the 12 for a few terms before going to 18, the last thing you want to do is flunk classes because there's too much to do.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

And really, whether or not you decide to tell us, it doesn't matter. We won't judge or mock. I mean, there was a thread about bleeding penises on here. I only snickered a little when I read that. This thread was started by talking about sexual drive, and hot teachers. If we haven't mocked you yet, we won't start now :)

Well, there was the whole ask a girl out challenge... But see where that left you Snake? Our mockery is constructive mockery. Just kidding man, we're here to help however we can.

You say your classes are going to be online, but will all of your classes be online? Or will you need to go to the school for some? I know some schools have the classes online, but you have to take tests at the building within certain hours (usually business hours with no exceptions). And if you have to get it over with as soon as possible, don't skip summers and if possible, some (most?) schools offer advanced classes over summer that only last half a semester and you can take the next course the second half. Would that be an option for you?

Also, I would not recommend going over 20 credit hours constantly. You will experience burnout really quick, I never had a quarter under 20 for my first year, and they were usually 24 hours (no job at the time either) and by year 2 I couldn't do it anymore and keep my sanity. Some people can, I just couldn't.

Are there any scholarships/grants/financial aid you don't have to repay (basically not loans) that you are available for? Schedule a meeting for the financial adviser and find out. It is much better if you do not have to take out any loans.

Finally, need any free tutoring? Ask your fellow rebels, we'll help you out.

Level 1 Woodwose

Well, there was the whole ask a girl out challenge... But see where that left you Snake? Our mockery is constructive mockery. Just kidding man, we're here to help however we can.

You say your classes are going to be online, but will all of your classes be online? Or will you need to go to the school for some? I know some schools have the classes online, but you have to take tests at the building within certain hours (usually business hours with no exceptions). And if you have to get it over with as soon as possible, don't skip summers and if possible, some (most?) schools offer advanced classes over summer that only last half a semester and you can take the next course the second half. Would that be an option for you?

Also, I would not recommend going over 20 credit hours constantly. You will experience burnout really quick, I never had a quarter under 20 for my first year, and they were usually 24 hours (no job at the time either) and by year 2 I couldn't do it anymore and keep my sanity. Some people can, I just couldn't.

Are there any scholarships/grants/financial aid you don't have to repay (basically not loans) that you are available for? Schedule a meeting for the financial adviser and find out. It is much better if you do not have to take out any loans.

Mathematics, I'm your man.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Guest Snake McClain

Wow. Thank you. I mean that.

Im looking into grants. If they could be available for me so I wouldn't have to work as much that would be ideal. Other than that my option is to work and do online. All my tests can be taken online. Even if they couldn't I can get away from work to take them. It will be 18 credit hours. It won't be easy. But I have to do this. One way or another.

Guest Snake McClain
Mathematics, I'm your man.

I definitely need math help. I meed to learn pre algebra and algebra (enough to score me in the class) in three weeks. Have any websites I could go to to start working?

I haven't used any of these, but they seem pretty good.

-West Texas A&M Virtual Math Lab has 30-some tutorials with practice tests. Seems well written.

-PurpleMath.com has many tutorials on topics ranging from preliminary algebra basics to advanced algebra, appendices and even some trig.

-Free-ed.net has 3 courses with many topics including Pre-Algebra, Basic Algebra and College Algebra.

-ChiliMath has introductory through advanced algebra.

Once again, I haven't used any of these, but from a cursory glance they seem pretty understandable. If you have any questions or don't understand anything, feel free to ask and Digits or I or another rebel will help the best we can.

Level 1 Woodwose