Forums are back in action! ×

Cardio + Weight Training

So, I never got around to mentioning it, but I got the results of my blood tests from my doctor this past Friday. Mind you, these tests were taken directly before I made some significant changes to my diet, but they bear mentioning anyway.

Anywhoo, one thing that she pointed out was that my resting blood pressure was a little bit higher this time around. When I got the tests done, it was 122/80, and now it's 132/90. She seemed a little worked up for some reason and wants me to start checking my blood pressure regularly. She also wants me to incorporate cardio into my weight training routine to strengthen my heart for when I do the heavy lifts.

Thing is, I'm already a week in on the SL 5X5 program and am making great progress. I'm really not keen on stopping my entire program just because somebody in a lab coat has decided that she prefers that I run for a while. Still, she is more of an expert in this than I am, so I feel like I should take her advice seriously.

Right now, my plan is to do weight training on my usual days (MWF) and intervals on T/Th. Does that sound like an acceptable compromise? Is it doing too much? Is there a way where I can get the cardio taken care of and still have the energy to devote to lifting?

Also, a quick w00t. I'm NOT in danger of diabetes, heart disease, etc., and my arteries are as clean as a whistle. Granted, I'm only 28, but it's still a cause for celebration.

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

"If you know the way broadly, you will see it in all things." -Miyamoto Musashi

"Oh, she says, well, you're not a poor man. You know, why don't you go online and buy a hundred envelopes and put them in the closet? And so I pretend not to hear her. And go out to get an envelope because I'm going to have a hell of a good time in the process of buying one envelope. I meet a lot of people. And, see some great looking babies. And a fire engine goes by. And I give them the thumbs up. And, and ask a woman what kind of dog that is. And, and I don't know. The moral of the story is, is we're here on Earth to fart around. And, of course, the computers will do us out of that. And, what the computer people don't realize, or they don't care, is we're dancing animals. You know, we love to move around. And, we're not supposed to dance at all anymore." -Kurt Vonnegut.

I'd suggest taking a day of SL out and put your interval training in then. It's really hard to train your legs five days a week normally, and impossible when you're also trying to lose weight.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

The dr is (supposedly) an expert on what modern medical practice is. That is NOT the same thing as a qualified physical trainer, or an experienced lifter. I've gotten the hyper tension lecture many times and have done quite a bit of reading on it. It is not nearly as cut and dried as they make it sound. For instance, if you were already being treated for high blood pressure, they would be delighted with those numbers (which are "too high" for those who are not being treated....). That said, you have to be comfortable with your relationship with your dr, and with your own understanding of your goals and direction. Do your homework, work hard.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Cardio is good, but if I assume you're trying to lose weight, then you should be running a calorie deficit. So keep in mind that you have limited resources to expend, so choose a cardio that won't derail your other activity. Add a 30 minute walk on your non-lifting days if you're doing Stronglifts.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

If there was only one reading of your blood pressure that was elevated then there should be no reason for alarm. Many factors could have caused it to be elevated this time when she took it. I agree with the others who say to listen to your body. Maybe check your blood pressure again at different times and see if it's still, consistently, elevated. If it is, look to a next step, but if not, I wouldn't worry about changing anything.

If you are going to run on your non-lifting days there's nothing saying you have to run intervals. Higher intensity days in between SL's squats-every-day (MWF) is just added strain that can lead to injury. Why not put in 30min of easy running Tues/Thurs.? You get your cardio balance, without taxes your quads. As an added bonus, the running should help with active recovery.

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

Intervals seems to be in vogue nowadays, but they seem to be more for people already in great physical shape. When I tried doing them right after finishing a C to 5K type program, intervals really messed me up. They take much more of a physical toll than short-moderate length steady state. My ankles, shins, knees, and hips hated intervals. Being that at the time I was learning the finer points of distance running form, intervals were pretty much the worst thing I could do.

Doing cardio on off days is no big deal. Even if it slows your SL progress, so? It won't reverse it. You can always walk, and that should have no impact. Even running shouldn't affect you too much (short-moderate distances). Most of the impacts of running on your lifting program you are already seeing due to being in a calorie deficit anyway. The big thing when it comes to affecting strength training is that cardio blunts any attempt to eat a surplus.

You can also up the lifting intensity to circuit training levels and get a cardio workout along with your strength training.

IMHO most of the positive cardio benefits of running don't required mad miles. And most of the negative side effects of running do require mad miles.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I'll probably end up doing what Alecto recommends as that seems to be the most reasonable approach right now (though if my week ends like it's begun, I might not ever get around to doing the cardio).

I wasn't terribly worried about the blood pressure, and truth be told, this is a new doctor for me. I found her office after I started having a few chest pains this past Christmas. Turns out that I simply overdid it on the bench presses and that my heart/arteries are fine--This was before I'd picked up the Starting Strength book, of course, and had decided to venture out on my own.

In other news, it seems like I get a new ache every time I work out. Today, it's calves. Always seems to be on the left side, too, for some reason.

Anyway, thanks for the help, everybody!

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

"If you know the way broadly, you will see it in all things." -Miyamoto Musashi

"Oh, she says, well, you're not a poor man. You know, why don't you go online and buy a hundred envelopes and put them in the closet? And so I pretend not to hear her. And go out to get an envelope because I'm going to have a hell of a good time in the process of buying one envelope. I meet a lot of people. And, see some great looking babies. And a fire engine goes by. And I give them the thumbs up. And, and ask a woman what kind of dog that is. And, and I don't know. The moral of the story is, is we're here on Earth to fart around. And, of course, the computers will do us out of that. And, what the computer people don't realize, or they don't care, is we're dancing animals. You know, we love to move around. And, we're not supposed to dance at all anymore." -Kurt Vonnegut.

I do a high intensity body weight exercise class on Mondays, Stronglifts Wednesdays and Fridays, and I jog 3 miles twice a week, usually Tuesday and Saturday. I also jog on Thursday if my body doesn't need the break. I do fine.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I am on a similar plan.

Mon. - SL5x5

Tues. - 30 min.stationary bike interval

Wed. - Body weight circuits at home

Thurs. - 30 min. stationary bike interval

Fri. - SL5x5

Been doing this for about a month and feelin' fine.

Still in the lighter weights of the SL, but considering I'm 6'4" and 370 I'd say if I can do it anybody can, lol.

Edit: Forgot to mention I have slight high BP too.

I read somewhere people who lift tend to have a bit higher BP. No idea where though and I could be mistaken.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I don't do SL (no gym hence no barbel) but a relatively similar plan:

Mon - Dumbbell/bodyweight circuit

Tue - Run 3 mi

Wed - Hybrid barefoot workout (I do only bodyweight exercises and focus on skill related stuff, with a light barefoot jog and long in depth stretching session, I try not to get to beat from the workout)

Thur - Run 3 mi

Fri - Dumbbell/bodyweight circuit

Sat - Run 3 mi

(I also walk ~ 2 mi every weekday at lunchtime)

I did fine from Oct-Xmas (1000 cal/day deficit) and from Xmas-recent (750 cal/day deficit), however I recently have had a lot of recovery issues, issues maintaining workout intensity (I fizzle after the first couple sets) and a significant increase in aches and pains. I figure it is time for a break so I'm sticking to my schedule but cutting back the intensity a good bit to allow my body a chance to recover, either a week or two, playing it by ear. Will also give me a chance to set some new goals.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!