Forums are back in action! ×

something is wrong with me...

Guest Snake McClain

Guest Snake McClain

I'm just feeling very exhausted. I'm only working out 3 or 4 times a day so it isn't over training. But i just feel stressed mentally between my job I'm ready to leave, getting in shape, focusing on wrestling, trying to maintain friendships and my social life, planning for school, helping with my grandfather and pursuing other relationships...I literally just feel wasted and I just want to quit. Like i don't want to get out of bed or even move. I am in the best shape of my life and all but I am wearing myself too thin. Thing is there is really nothing I can do about it right now and I have no idea how to handle all this at once. I feel like i'm worn out like someone with depression except I'm not sad I'm just worn out. *cue the charlie brown music*

Any advice?

I think he means a week. Yeah, having that many responsibilities is wearing. It got bad for me at one point and I had to prioritize and cut the fat.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I am having the same problem, between work, school, life, and everything else...I'm exhausted. I'm cutting back on the working out...I've been doing 5-6 days a week but I'm cutting back to 3 days, 4 if I feel up to it. I would suggest doing as Corey says and cutting some fat...if you can. Take some time for yourself, even if it means missing a workout or hanging out with people. My life has been so busy the last few years that I pretty much have no people I hang out with on a regular basis anymore.

Just hang in there, take a mental health day...or week...or whatever. Recharge your batteries, and know you are NOT alone in this feeling and that NOTHING is wrong with you...you're just doing a LOT.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I can relate to all of this stuff:

- bummer job: check

- someone to look after 24/7 (the baby): check

- best shape of my life: check

- trying to maintain some semblance of a social life: check

- trying to pursue dreams despite mortgage, life insurance, saving for kiddo's education, etc: check

I'm feeling pretty burned-out too, and I don't have any real solutions for this. Just thought you might appreciate knowing that there's somebody out there in the same boat. There's lots of us, to be certain. The key, I think, is not to be one of the ones that folds under the pressure. Definitely cut yourself a bit of slack from time to time, but for the most part keep soldiering on. You'll come out the other side as a tough as nails, bad@ss mutha. (I'm sticking to that).

Guest Snake McClain

hahah yeah definitely 3 or 4 times a WEEK not day. Wow yeah i'm not that awesome.

And it is good to know I'm not alone. Just sort of on that cusp of ready to give up and keep living this crappy life or push through and it suck for a few more years as I get through it all. It's just hard and I have no guide to tell me what to do or where to go so I just feel overwhelmed.

Some of you are married and have kids. i can't even imagine trying to do all this with that going on.

I know what you mean...I don't have any kids and I can't IMAGINE adding one more stress to my life.

Just keep on keeping on...and be sure to take care of yourself. I know how tempting it can be to give up but you know you are stronger than that. As one of my friends said to me the other day: "The time is going to pass whether I do (school work) or not, so I might as well do it." Insert your circumstance in the parentheses. Keep your chin up! :)

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Don't wait to figure out how to make things so that you're happy. Yeah, circumstances may be different in a few years, but more than likely you'll just be in a different rut than you are now if you aren't proactive about being happy. I always tell myself "I work to live, I don't live to work" whenever I worry about work outside of work for example.

I could say "I'll wait until my loans are paid off in 5-6 years from now so I have another $XXX free a month, then I can spend that on going the places I want." but you know what? In 5-6 years there's just going to be a different bill, or kids, or something that will get in the way. So instead, I'll find a way to do those things I want to do NOW instead of later. Go on the trips in the cheapest way possible for example. Stop making excuses and make yourself happy now.

For something more to what you are saying, my wife and I were getting burnt out with having to travel down to Philly EVERY weekend to see either friends or family or attend some event with one of them, all because we were expected to. We were never home, we were spending every week cleaning the house or doing homework or grocery shopping because we couldn't do it on the weekends. We finally said enough and told people we wouldn't be coming home as much because it was just too much work. Yeah, we don't see family and friends as much as we used to, but life is less chaotic, we're more relaxed, and get to spend more 1 on 1 time which has made us both happier. Don't let others' expectations decide your actions for you.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Guest Snake McClain

i understand what you are saying but the only thing i can cut out if i want to maintain my goals is seeing my friends. Otherwise I literaly will be work, gym, home wrestling and that will be it. It will make me insane. Once school starts I have no idea what I'm going to do. Like i understand what you are all saying but this is really, legitimately freaking me out. Like i just want to go sleep for a week and do nothing and wake up and hope it's all figured out for me. I need a manual for life. lol

why don't you take a week off? i mean i know some of that stuff you can't take a break from, but you could not work out (as much) for a week, or not hang with friends for a week. during the first challenge, i totally burnt myself out, and spent an entire weekend sleeping. it was than that i realized i was pushing myself too hard.

if you're exhausted, then it's time to step back. stressing about being exhausted is only going to exhaust you more. and stress will make you all wrinkly and no fun. seriously - pick up a good book, let your body & mind relax for a few days (as much as you can), sort things out mentally, then get back at it. you've got a lot going on and kudos to you for taking on a lot of responsibilities, but life shouldn't be this hard on a daily basis.

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

A'right - so first off, nothing's wrong with you. It's totally natural to feel overwhelmed, overworked, or just over, at points in your life. So don't be hard on yourself because you're having a bad few weeks. Second off, you're working out, you're doing all your other stuff.... Maybe you just need a week off from the gym and wrestling and blahblahblah. I'm not saying BACKSLIDE!, but I am saying get a nice clean diet that week, do some minimal bodyweight exercises and just get some extra sleep, play on the computer and don't feel like you have to do anything beyond what you ABSOLLUTELY HAVE TO GET DONE. I get overwhelmed, take a week to just not worry about social committments, workouts, cleaning the house, etc, and I usually come out of it ready to clean the house, go to the gym and see some friends, all while feeling better than I was.

i understand what you are saying but the only thing i can cut out if i want to maintain my goals is seeing my friends. Otherwise I literaly will be work, gym, home wrestling and that will be it. It will make me insane. Once school starts I have no idea what I'm going to do. Like i understand what you are all saying but this is really, legitimately freaking me out. Like i just want to go sleep for a week and do nothing and wake up and hope it's all figured out for me. I need a manual for life. lol

Well, don't keep the same goals. Just like you alter your life to achieve your goals, you may also have to alter your goals to achieve the life you want.

500 / 330 / 625

Something else I thought of after I posted - BACK INJURIES CAN TRIGGER MINOR DEPRESSION. So you're not feeling sad, fine - you're feeling overworked and overwrought, which is also how someone can feel while EXPERIENCING MILD DEPRESSION. Just a thought, what with your relatively recent back injury, you may just need to take a week to really let that heal, focus on your diet maybe(?), and get yourself some quality rest.

Don't cut out friends. BAD CALL. I know, because I did this myself. The only thing that doing this will accomplish is fostering a lot of resentment towards other people and things in your life, which isn't going to improve the situation at all.

From your recent posts, you sound like you're starting to burn out dude. You to take a break. From like, everything.

I'm just saying I've noticed that you've been progressively getting more and more bummed out dude. A chill pill (in a good way) or two is in order.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Guest Snake McClain
From your recent posts, you sound like you're starting to burn out dude. You to take a break. From like, everything.

I'm just saying I've noticed that you've been progressively getting more and more bummed out dude. A chill pill (in a good way) or two is in order.

No you are absolutely right. I am burnt out. And i just came across this article http://artofmanliness.com/2012/01/08/willpower-part-ii/ that made me realize even moreso.

You are all right and I need a vacation. probably going to take a break from everything for the week. watch some good classic wrestling. not work out. and try to take it easy at work for a bit and quit taking big projects. I probably won't be logging on for a bit either.

Recovery is an important part of health and fitness. Think about it as another part of your workout routine... just as important!

Hope you get some rest and feel a bit less burnt out soon. Bummed out Vanilla Bruce is no bueno!

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Good luck during your time off, I feel for you and can tell you what happened to me when I went through what you are going through. I take care of my mom, she has a couple disabilities, and does not move very often when she is home. I am in school, and pursuing something better for myself. I love gym time and working work, and I have a full time job that works around everything else I have going on. I had to end a long term relationship with someone I truly cared for to make sure I could do everything. I was not expecting to be single, though I had no time to devote to being a good boyfriend. I asked her to join me at the gyms I attend, to come and do things with me, but she did not want to. So I had to choose my own health as I had gained almost 100 lbs since we started dating, and I could not do that to myself anymore.

Take your time, find out what is truly important to you and what can wait. Make friends with people in your hobbies, so you can do your hobbies and socialize at the same time. I have a workout friend and we push each other and strive to make the other better.

Good luck again, this is never an easy thing to go through.

When I've had times it seemed I was overwhelmed, I started keeping careful track of my time and see where it was being wasted. Where was I spending a lot of time on things that didn't really enhance my life?

For example, I used to spend about 2 hours a day on various Internet forums. 14 hours a week! That was crazy. So I got rid of the forums I didn't care much about and focused on the good ones. Now I only spend like 2-3 hours a week on forums, and sometimes I still think it's too much.

Reddit can be a big time-sink as well.

Hey man! i know life can be really stressful at times. the best thing i have found is to pick up a notebook and keep a journal. It will help you to pinpoint what is most important to you and what you don't want in your life. from there you can do as was already suggested and trim the fat from your life. Best of luck to you man!

The thing is this...you have your life pretty well scheduled and your structured. BUT....being a caregiver is more than being a schedule of things to do and it can wear on your internal energy. When i was a kid we had this great priest who was one of 12 kids and when his mother would lock herself in the bathroom, he and his siblings knew not to bother her. He told me, how can you pour milk out of a pitcher unless you take time to fill it up?

Your pitcher is empty...fill it up...take a break--you can do other fitness activities this week, like going for hikes in the woods. Ground yourself--sit with your back against a tree and your ass on the ground...have someone ELSE in your family babysit grandpa for a week. BE YOU and not just a series of activities...being is sometimes MUCH more important than DOING. big hugs

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!