Forums are back in action! ×

unlurking mode on

Been mostly lurking for awhile on here. Found Nerdfitness (via the spezzy article) sometime in November and been hooked since.

So a little about me is I come from an obese family with craptastic eating habits. I've sworn all my life I wouldn't look like my dad, and noticed in the last 2 - 3 years, my weight is creeping up. About a year and a half ago I was 195lbs, which is a little on the chub side for a 5'10" guy. My belly was starting to "tent" more than it had ever before. Slowly transforming into what I didn't want to look like.

When I saw the 195 (and pictures of me on the couch with the start of a double-chin) I changed a few eating habits and lost 10 lbs. Took probably a year but I'm not sure because I wasn't really into keeping track or really doing anything formal. I kept saying I would get on exercise soon but never did. Sometime in late August something clicked and I started to exercise. Little by little I added this or that or researched something new. I found Myfitnesspal for my phone and started using that to track foods and cardio training. I lost about 5 lbs doing this.

I found MFP to be a helpful tool because I surely wasn't eating enough, and now that I was exercising that was more of a problem.

Since the beginning of January I started Paleo, and a home program of SL5x5 and HIIT and keeping workouts to less than my 1 hr/day max goal - I've now lost another 5 lbs. I also started gaining muscle - or at least the looks of having some! I have a TON more energy than pre-paleo, and noticed many other nice benefits like I don't have gas as much. I quit all sugar (I loved sugared coffee and tea) and drink between 96 to 128 oz of water - a year ago I would have laughed at the thought of regularly drinking 8 oz of water!

So I am here to learn and to help where I can. My life is starting to get more exciting because of all these good changes and I would hate to keep it all to myself!

Joel

Really great progress so far! Seems like you're right on track. Welcome to the community :)

Svane Krios, Level 1 Drell AssassinSTR 1 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 3Intro - Fitocracy - Lift - 2013 Goals - Life GoalsChallenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 (current)"Amonkira. Lord of Hunters. Grant that my arms be steady, my mind be clear, and my feet swift.And should the worst come to pass, grant me forgiveness."