Forums are back in action! ×

fresh food is awesome but...

Happens fairly regularly if you get really fresh food. The only time I got grossed out was when a worm wriggled in my mouth just as I was getting ready to chomp down, I spat out the salad and inspected the rest before eating it. There are worse things to eat but I don't like my food wriggling when I eat it. Cooked or at least dead is my motto.

BTW insects are very high in some really good fats and are an important part of the diet of many peoples.

For me I'd rather eat insects or snakes or mice than eat fermented foods like the auk/seal turducken thing the inuit eat or ludafisk (sp?) or even kimchi. The only fermented stuff I like is cheese, beer, whisky & wine :)

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

i feel like a meme is forming here. tiny bear army!

I support this meme! the tiny bears can train along side us as we workout.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1814[/ATTACH]

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

hehehehehe tiny bears! <3

As far as bugs in food: yup. a lot. I frequently find aphids in my kale (I think they are aphids). I just wash it really, really well.. and hey.. extra protein if I miss one. And sometimes just other little buggies in other produce. My logic, whether correct or incorrect, is that if the buggies want it then maybe it is just that good. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

HOWEVER, worms freak me out a bit. I don't know why. I stopped buying chia seeds from the farmer's market b/c I kept finding little white worms in them. I couldn't figure out what they were (chiaworm? tiny bear in training?) so I just got rid of the seeds. :shudder:

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

alecto, before cutting your peaches, soak them in a deep barrel with salted water for about 2 hours. The worms come right out and the peaches do not soak up the salt.

one of my favorite books to read to my kids when they were babies was...little bear! :)

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

LMAO great thread!

I had a science teacher in 6th grade explain that there is rat turds in peanut butter (similar to what OysterGirl mentioned) and there is all kinds of stuff we don't know about in what we eat. Be happy you found that little guy/gal before you were chewing on it ;^) You did well to not waste the rest of the berries because of your discovery 8^D

Haha, I still eat them all the time. Back when I played baseball, we tried to find out what seeds were the occasional nasty one (You know that sour-burnt-nasty tasting seed you get every now and then.) Long story short, we ate a bag of David seeds, seed by seed and found three seeds with a little larvae inside. Yes we ate them and yes they are the culprit. :)

I always thought if I was presented with an opportunity to eat cooked bugs, as in they aren't moving any more, I wouldn't pass up the chance. My motto when if comes to food is "Try everything once, if it kills you don't try it again."

I've eaten crickets and tarantulas cooked, and I have to say they're pretty tasty. In southern Mexico, they roast crickets with garlic and chili and salt them. In Cambodia, I had a couple of tarantulas from a roadside vendor--they taste like barbecue, only a bit fattier. Still tasty, and our driver took home some live ones to cook himself. Bit too far for me...

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.