Forums are back in action! ×

Hey all!

I'm Courtney, a 23 year old girl from AZ, now living in the south for veterinary school. Like all veterinarians I'm a total nerd and I love reading studies on PubMed. If you couldn't guess, I'm super cool. ANYWAY, I found this through the Tumblr community, and I feel like I may belong? Here's my "story"...

My first year in undergrad I developed an eating disorder. "Developed" is the wrong word, since I feel like it was a slow transition from a snowball to an avalanche that fell on me during that first year. I'd suffered from self-loathing, yo-yo dieting, etc. and I grew up with parents who were CONSTANTLY dieting. I remember going to my dads house and gorging on "bad food" because my mom didn't keep it in the house. That first year I found the thinspo community on LJ and it was the straw that broke the camels back. I spent the next few years cycling through cardio bunny, negative calorie balances, exercising into serious deficits, and ruining my body.

In April I decided to "recover." This is mostly due to the Tumblr community. Over the last few months I found the fitblr community and made the gradual transition from weight loss to fat loss to body acceptance. I loosely practice Intuitive Eating, but as with everything I am tweaking and learning about myself in the process.

In November/December I became serious about strength training. I realized that weighing 118 lbs like I did at my lowest wouldn't do me any good if I constantly felt like I was going to die of starvation or pass out. In January I bought a little book to track my workouts, joined Fitocracy and began to focus on gains. At the same time I transformed my Tumblr from "Courtney's Silly Corner of Tumblr" to BarbellsandBeakers.com. I started taking the science I learned from school and nerdom and applying it to the Tumblr community to fight a lot of the misinformation commonly seen. I also wanted to help other girls in recovery who needed support, a shoulder to cry on or someone to look for who was looking for strength and stability.

ANYWAY. I'm 5'4, about 135-ish (slowly weaning off the scale, hoping to destroy it Office Space-style soon) and am working on my strength. My school does a strength week in November that is male dominated (2 female competitors last year!) and I want to compete this year. I wrote down the top weights of each girl and I'm heading toward that. I'm currently at 135 Deadlift, 140 Squat and 55 lb bench press. I absolutely love weight training and loathe cardio, unless it's spinning or running with my dog, Scamper.

This was long. If you read it you deserve a pop tart.

Hello!

Can it be a cherry pop tart? Those are my favorite.

First, congratulations on finding your way back to a healthy you! I'm sure it took a ton of dedication.

Second, WTG on the lifting numbers! I'm jelly :)

Third, a hearty welcome. I'm pretty new to this community myself and everyone's been great.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

slowly weaning off the scale, hoping to destroy it Office Space-style soon

Speaking from experience, this is SO worth it :)

Hi! Welcome!!!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

I had an orange instead. Welcome! Seems like you'll fit right in.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

glad you're here! i had a not-so-similiar experience (experiences actually) where i would lose a bunch of weight due to the some medical issues and love how i looked but hate how i felt. people would compliment me and it hurt because i knew i wasn't healthy. congratulations on making a similar realization that weight and being skinny is not what health and long term fitness is about...it's about feeling good in your body and being able to do the things and live the life you want. really glad you're here!

That's a great story (at least the end result). Also, I'm digging the handle. Welcome, and thanks for the poptart!

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Whoohoo, PubMed! Medical nerds unite! Haha, I'm kind of jealous of the veterinary school gig - I wanted to be a veterinarian for the longest time before I decided to go the doctor route, and I still have the urge to say, "Screw it, I want to work with animals!" sometimes.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

- Philipians 4:13

AWESOME TEAM OF FLYING MONGOOSES!

Jump Rope Challenge: 800