Forums are back in action! ×

Regimen vs. Regime (Linguistic Pet Peeves)

A regime is a form of government. A regimen is a plan. It seriously drives me crazy when people use "regime" when they mean "regimen," and I hadn't seen people confusing the two until I started reading fitness articles, blogs, and forums. Now I see it everywhere. Don't be that person! Use these words correctly!

Ok, that's off my chest. What are your linguistic pet peeves?

YES. That's a big one of mine. Another is when people say "timesed" instead of "multiplied by." Doesn't come up a lot, but it drives me up the wall.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

You'll most likely find that Articles that use "Regime" are UK based as we just don't use the word "Regimen" when describing "1 b : a regular pattern of occurence or action" as Centurion quotes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

People who say to me "can you borrow me a pen?" or "Can I lend a pen off you?" Get it the right way around!

Also "Alot" is not a word. Its "A Lot" http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/regime

"1 b : a regular pattern of occurence or action"

I actually suspected that someone would post this. Webster's takes a descriptive approach to language, which means they define words as people use them. If people start using regime to mean a plan, then Webster's will accommodate. I'm usually all for the descriptive approach, but I still think people should know the effect of their word choices. When a person uses regime to describe a plan, the connotations of regime make it seem as if the plan has been forced upon that person.

Guest Snake McClain

For me my two biggest irritants are "I could care less." Which pisses me off because they mean to say "I COULD NOT care less".

The other is when I ask "hows it going" and their response is "so far so good". What the f***yourself does that even mean? So far = up until this point bit so good = ???? What does that mean? So good should be the first part of an explanation yes? Like this ice cream is so good I could just die happy right now. Or the movie was so good it will win an Oscar. But so far so good means nothing and it makes me so mad I want to punch a baby.

@Bruce, that's one of mine, too! If you could care less then you care... logic'd!

@Bigm, that reminds me of the HIMYM episode hehehehehehe

@sashi: http://shitmystudentswrite.tumblr.com/

Another: "For all intensive purposes." Really? :sigh:

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

In my last job, several people started using this phrase to tell customers when their merchandise would arrive:

"Your package will arrive on tomorrow" or "I see that package was delivered on yesterday" - drop the "on"!

If I were to specify a date or day ("Your package will arrive on Friday"), fine, otherwise there is no reason to use "on".

Sadly, I have not been able to find anything that suggests this is wrong (and at the time checked with an English department at a local college), but it just sounds wrong! Can anyone tell me if this is incorrect?

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

A colleague of my overuses "etcetera" constantly and it really drives me nuts. Especially when the sentences she uses it in don't even make any sense, for example "you need to put the details on a form etcetera" its like she uses the word to carry on speaking when she doesn't actually know what to say.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

A colleague of my overuses "etcetera" constantly and it really drives me nuts. Especially when the sentences she uses it in don't even make any sense, for example "you need to put the details on a form etcetera" its like she uses the word to carry on speaking when she doesn't actually know what to say.

Reminds me of the "Yada Yada" episode of Seinfeld :-)

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Miss Laura, sometimes purposes are intense. Such as "How'd you do on the OHP today?" "For all intensive purposes, I failed"

;) Just messin' with ya.

I'll show you something purposefully intense! :boxing::D

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!