Forums are back in action! ×

I just gotta LENT...

Lent is tomorrow, fellow NF'ers!!!!

For those who don't know/do/understand Lent: Starting tomorrow, give up something you enjoy until Easter. Can be anything: soda, chocolate, meat, Facebook, skipping workouts, complaining, etc.

The original intention was to devoting your sacrifice to God, but our family does it more as of just a family challenge. So, what are you going to challenge yourself with this Spring?

My lent this year: No hot water showers and only one serving of dairy a day (I'm addicted)!!!

Its gonna be tough, but I am stoked to conquer it!!!!!

"All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty." -Proverbs 14:23

----------------------------------------------------------

I. AM. A. BEAST!!!!!!!!!" -

I was tought that Lent just wasn't about give up something, by enhancing your life for the better...

For this year, since I'm almost there, I want to give myself the final push and not buy any food in package... a few weeks ago I found out how easy speghetti squash is to make and how delicious... that was my biggest hang up, pasta... so that's my goal... other than nuts... I don't want food in packages... we shall see how this goes.

You train to look good. I train to kick your ...

If you still look pretty afterwords, you didn't do it right.

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up. Babe Ruth

I was thought that Lent just wasn't about give up something, by enhancing your life for the better...

Kind of. The day before (today), you ate a crap-ton and indulge, then you fast said luxury for 40 days, then indulge a crap-ton again on Easter.

"All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty." -Proverbs 14:23

Kind of. The day before (today), you ate a crap-ton and indulge, then you fast said luxury for 40 days, then indulge a crap-ton again on Easter.

Depends on the person... the changes I've made I've never gone back too... because I've made changes that were relevant to my life. I agree, most people are ridiculous and they cheat on Sundays (which is allowed) and they go crazy on Easter. But I use Lent as a way to kick start my changes... even today, I don't eat like crap, I just need that something to push me over just a bit.

It's just not always about giving something up... that's the point I was trying to make.

I agree, most people are ridiculous and they cheat on Sundays (which is allowed) and they go crazy on Easter.

Honestly, I've never understood this. To me, the sacrifice is a full 40 days, no cheat days. I had a friend give up TV last year, but she DVR'd everything and just watched it on Sundays. What did she give up? Nothing...

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

The cheating on Sundays didn't exist how I was raised. It stems from the fact that Sunday's are not counted in the 40 days, resulting in a Lenten season of 46 days. However, I was never told that Sundays included cheating, rather that they are a day of special worship during lent. Never heard of any friends that observe lent cheating on Sundays either.

I'ma pick up a habit I think. Maybe 9 hours of sleep a night. Definitely no diet cheats. Could possibly give up caffeine (minus chocolate) Still contemplating.

Lent is tomorrow, fellow NF'ers!!!!

For those who don't know/do/understand Lent: Starting tomorrow, give up something you enjoy until Easter. Can be anything: soda, chocolate, meat, Facebook, skipping workouts, complaining, etc.

The original intention was to devoting your sacrifice to God, but our family does it more as of just a family challenge. So, what are you going to challenge yourself with this Spring?

My lent this year: No hot water showers and only one serving of dairy a day (I'm addicted)!!!

Its gonna be tough, but I am stoked to conquer it!!!!!

Yeah, I couldn't give up hot water showers. I'm giving the paleo eating lifestyle a try and I'm going to start working out on a schedule. I need to make some positive change in my life.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle" - Plato

Honestly, I've never understood this. To me, the sacrifice is a full 40 days, no cheat days. I had a friend give up TV last year, but she DVR'd everything and just watched it on Sundays. What did she give up? Nothing...

I agree with you, that isn't what the intent of Lent was all about. The Lenten season was about sacrifice, real sacrifice in an effort to help you become a better person.

The cheating on Sundays didn't exist how I was raised. It stems from the fact that Sunday's are not counted in the 40 days, resulting in a Lenten season of 46 days. However, I was never told that Sundays included cheating, rather that they are a day of special worship during lent. Never heard of any friends that observe lent cheating on Sundays either.

I'ma pick up a habit I think. Maybe 9 hours of sleep a night. Definitely no diet cheats. Could possibly give up caffeine (minus chocolate) Still contemplating.

It didn't exist for me until about 2 years ago. I didn't know about it. I never wanted to cheat. Between Ash Wed and Easter there are 46 days? Something like that, so Sunday is the day that you can give in. It doesn't make sense to me and I find it strange that the day is Sunday, but whatever... Just like most things, people won't do it if it's "hard."

That's probably new. Like cutting back not eating meat to only being a Friday thing (used to be only fish for the entirety of Lent).

From what I've read, it's been known for decades but you are right, it did change... Depending on where you lived (waaaaaayyy back in the day) people didn't even eat anything that came from flesh, so no eggs, no meat, no fish... then they said fish... blah blah blah...

It's interesting to see how Lent shows how we have regressed... I think Lent is taken as a joke by most people.. such as "not watching tv," but that wasn't the intent of it... it's sad. It could be such a special tool.

I've been trying to make sure I make and bring my own lunches to work but havent been that organised at it so my lent will be 40 days of home-made lunches . Should help me get myself more organised in the morning, try out new and healthy lunch options and save a bit on my wallet too!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

I've been trying to make sure I make and bring my own lunches to work but havent been that organised at it so my lent will be 40 days of home-made lunches . Should help me get myself more organised in the morning, try out new and healthy lunch options and save a bit on my wallet too!

Good luck with the homemade lunches. I try to do that a few days a week and a good healthy lunch can be time consuming.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle" - Plato

That's probably new. Like cutting back not eating meat to only being a Friday thing (used to be only fish for the entirety of Lent).

George Carlin had a bit about this and the many "special dispensations" that they made. "No meat this Friday, except for the football team who has the big game that night!".

I remember them as well when I was going to catholic school in the early 80s. The younger kids were exempt from the no meat, for example.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

In my family, we use Lent to break ourselves of bad habits examples:overindulging, too much tv, running our mouths (thatd be me) etc. Last year I did 46 days of being on time. My "sacrifice" was time because any place I had to be, I went half an hour early instead of showing up late. Occasionally I'm late nowadays but nothing like I ever was before.

This year I'm hoping to use Lent to break my worst one. Procrastination. I confess. If I can put it off, I will. Ten page paper... I get started the night before. Its the one habit seriously holding me back from success. So my plan is to do things when they need to be done, immediately. No saying "Tomorrow". I'm hoping to get myself in the habit of immediate action and better self-motivation/discipline. And Sunday cheats? Defeats the whole purpose!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Wake Your Dreams...

So.....

I totally went overboard on indulgence last night. Had a pancake chilidog (don't knock it til you try it), two more pancakes and chilidogs (not together this time), and tortilla chips for dinner. Marshmallow Brownies and two bowls of Frosted Mini Wheat for desert at midnight.

Other than the first two chilidogs, this meal was miserable. Not even good, but GOSH DANG IT, I AM NOT A QUITTER!!!!!!

Burned the rest of the midnight oil watching TV and playing Mass Effect 3. Eventually puked about half of it out at 4am, and went to sleep.

note to self- don't read your posts while eating lunch... ;)

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

For Lent, I'm giving up Lent itself. See ya!

Ha, but ah, I'm really looking to kicking my soda habit for good. 90% of the time I keep it to less than a can a day, so that's less than twelve ounces, but I'd love to be at zero ounces.

I was able to quit successfully once before by working my way down. I'd have one can a day... then 3/4 can a day... then 1/2 can a day... and soon I was all the way off without any side effects (like headaches). I think I ought to do that again.

Lent is for quitters. Seriously though, I'm not Catholic, but my wife is. She doesn't typically do Lent though. I'm gonna go see if I can guilt her into it.

edit: I asked her what she was quitting for Lent, she said "you".

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I gave up soda one year for lent and after that I seriously reduced my soda intake. I since have moved to the South and have been addicted to sweet tea so I think for this year I am going to give up sweet tea. I really need to reduce my sugar intake overall so I may add no candy too.

Try everything once. If it kills you don't do it again.Paleo- So Easy A Caveman Can Do It

So far, so good for me also.

Haven't showered yet ('tis the life of a single male attending online college), but I have only had eggs and protein shakes today, so that counts as no grains!!!