Forums are back in action! ×

Hey everyone! So I've been reading Nerd Fitness for about a year now, and have collected sooooo many pairs of underpants I have no idea what to do with them. (I hope that doesn't need explaining.) I've tried so many things over the last few years to get healthy, but never really committed to anything. And while I probably don't fit the "nerd" definition (I've never seen Star Wars or Star Trek or Stargate or anything to do with Stars, but I do love the band), this website & community really speak to me. So I decided to jump in to these forums to see what's what.

I was a pretty skinny average kid. Then puberty hit and I started gaining weight like crazy. I had no idea why. In college I was much healthier, thanks to my roommate who got me out of bed every morning at 6am to do Tae Bo with her. But the past 10 years the weight has crept higher and higher. When I was 24 I was diagnosed with PCOS and suddenly EVERYTHING MADE SENSE! But I don't want to use that as an excuse to not be healthy.

So today I am 30, single, in a career I tolerate buy doesn't really bring me joy, and at the highest weight I've ever been, and living a life I KNOW is sub-par. I've been thinking about joining the Academy, would anyone be able to let me know if it's REALLY worth the money? I live in Canada so it's closer to $140 for me and money is pretty tight for me right now.

Howdy!  If you have trouble getting something started, I think the go to move is to set some small, attainable goals and participate in the next 4-week challenge (starts in about a week I think?).  They might seem like small goals, but fitness, like most things, is built from the ground up.  Maybe you want to sign up for a weekly tae-bo class again, get out and walk regularly, do some at-home yoga, and/or work on refining your diet (tracking, calorie targets, eating better quality foods).  

Intro

Challenges: #1#2#3#4, #5

Hi Katatak -

I know you need to... 3. collect profit.... I just don't know phase 2. ;)

I joined the NF Academy and I think the amount of money I saved in the first month by cutting out prepackaged foods from our family grocery bill alone, helped the Academy pay for itself. What I found incredibly useful after I joined was their approach to fitness as a whole experience, including not only nutrition, and super adaptable workouts at various levels, but mindset, as well. I felt like this gave me some much needed direction and mini-goals, as well as confidence and the right frame of mind to make sure I was starting out on the right track. I find that I am pushing myself to step outside my comfort zone more and more each week, I look forward to my workouts and tackling the quests, and I am seeing awesome progress that I just was not able to attain through dieting on my own. I don't know that I would have even THOUGHT to do a lot of the things I am now doing without having joined the NF Academy. That makes it worth it to ME!!

From what I can tell, once you join, you are kind of an honorary lifetime member... no matter HOW nerdy or un-nerdy you may be, so if you feel like you could use a little more direction and help in leveling up your life (see what I did there) then I think it is well worth making a few cutbacks in other parts of your budget until you can come up with the $140.

~ Moxie

"I wish to understand it. The more I do the less it controls me. One day, who knows, I may even control it." ~ Vision (Paul Bettany), Captain America: Civil War

15 hours ago, Moxie~girlFriday said:

I think the amount of money I saved in the first month by cutting out prepackaged foods from our family grocery bill alone, helped the Academy pay for itself.

You are probably right on this. I eat out so much (cooking for one is so annoying), I know I probably spend that on lunches in a month :P

52 minutes ago, katatak said:

You are probably right on this. I eat out so much (cooking for one is so annoying), I know I probably spend that on lunches in a month :P

Maybe your first challenge could be to put $10 or $20 aside each week until you can pay for the Academy (then keep the saving habit going). I'd also recommend checking out the articles on prepping meals. Just double the quantities and you'll have lunch and dinner ready to go for the week.

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin