Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings from California

Hello,

I thought I posted an initial post here, but can't seem to find it now.  So let me introduce myself again.

I am a 55 year old nerd that recently decided to do what it takes to get myself healthy for the first time in something like 30 years.  I started working on weight loss 2 months ago by changing my diet to mostly Paleo.   This is not always easy since I have been a serious carb addict, but since I want to be able to get out and explore the world like I used to when I was young, I need to do this.  I really have only two choices,  go on like I have been and continue to get worse, or make some real changes and have a chance to start living life again.

So with a bit of research and several failed attempts under my belt, I found Nerd Fitness, it resonated with me and here I am.

Welcome! You are definitely in the right place for supportive and helpful company. This might be one of the few places left on the internets where people are actually nice to each other. 

I feel your pain with the carb addiction; pasta is and probably always will be my weakness. And I've got a sweet tooth like a honey badger going after a hive. But I lose weight and generally feel better when I don't eat them, so I'm trying to convince myself that Brussels sprouts are just as good. *shrug*

Have you thought about what guild you might want to join, or what challenges you might set for yourself? (BTW, don't feel like you have to wait until the next one starts; I started in mid-May and it was the right choice. Jump in when you're ready, not when the calendar says!)

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

Thanks!

Like everybody making real changes, accountability helps and this place resonates with me.

I'm going with Druid.  Seems to be the best fit for my personality.

My short term goals are yoga three days a week for a month followed by another month of yoga and strength training three days a week. At the end of the two months I will do some self re/evaluating so that I can set my next set of goals.  One of my loots is to surprise the heck out of my eldest daughter when I fly out in November.  Last time I saw her I was 265 pounds and I should be at my goal weight of 190 well before then with only 25 pounds to go.  2 pounds a week average is very doable, especially on a largely paleo diet.

I plan to do mostly body weight combined with some free weights in my strength training.  Should be able to ride the bike to work a couple days a week or more within a month or so which would also accelerate improvement.