Forums are back in action! ×

Suit wearing knowledge nerd

I’m not a nerd in the sense of gaming and fantasy. I hope that’s not a problem. I do however like books, number, words, technology and other stuff. My nerdism shows in extreme interest in almost everything, and an active memory that can retrieve almost anything I ever learned. (No absolute recall like John von Neuman unfortunately, but closer to him than to normal memories. I also can’t quote anything exactly from memory. It is a talent with serious limitations, but still impressive from what I hear.) I like playing Trivial Pursuit a lot. In my more assholes years I liked to play me against the rest and be a bad winner.

I am self employed as a communications strategist from The Netherlands. I use the neuro scientific concept of positioning to help companies get a better story. I am therefore a corporate storyteller. I use my powers to help young promising hightech startups (i.e. other nerds) to change a good product into a well selling product. The problem with a lot of idealistic inventors is that they’ve found a brilliant solution that will save the world, but it’s just to hard to understand. Our lazy brain then says: “Fuck it, I’ll buy something else”, which makes the company go bankrupt and sends another desperately needed innovation to the scrapyard. 

I build muscle rather easy, but have had issues with al kinds of inflammation my whole life, which has seriously delayed my talents from developing. Because of this I’ve never really felt fit, even though I trained handball 4 times a week. Right now I’m starting to learn that it is probably due to sugar. Loads of sugar. Sugar has always been my reward and to be honest, my body has been in a state of hyper arousal because of it for most of my life. Basicly my body feels exhausted all the time right now, because I’ve been overburdening it for more that 25 years. It is getting better, but still far from great.

Due to using prednisone right now for sarcoidosis (on House it’s never sarcoidosis, just like lupus), I’m on a low carb diet, because I don’t want to gain the 25 kilo’s I’ve lost in de past years. Pred behaves like cortisol, transforming blood sugar as glycogen and storing as fat like a hoarder granny. I’ve *only* gained 9, which is a accomplishment in itself, but the next weeks I’m determined to lose some of that, to fit in my wedding suit and get back to a body I feel comfortable in. (I'm marrying a fellow nerd who loves me regardless. Which is why I want to be my best possible self.) The weight in itself is not so much a problem, I just want to be trim and fit. I also want to bike 100km+ bike rides again, but now I’m focussing on HIIT strength training and recovering well from nutritious meals. Currently I'm on nutrition level 7, bordering 8. I'm doing big 5 strength training and want to lift twice my body weight in deadlift and once in overhead press. For this it is also easier to shed some fat, since it's not contributing, and only adding double its weight to the deadlift.

I’m an avid suit wearer and have sold made to measure suits and shirt in the distant past. If you have questions about dressing up, but still feeling comfortable wearing it, drop me a line. For fancy dress parties i've made a Clark Kent suit with velcro in the seams from one of my old (bigger) suits. I can run into a bathroom and out again in 3 seconds dressed as superman. It's pretty popular. Warning: the big disadvantages (or pretty perk) is that people are constantly ripping your clothes off, when they find out how it works.

I hope I can contribute a lot to this forum.
  • Like 5

It's been 18 hours... We're a friendly bunch, not a patient one!  Where's the superman suit???

• Like 2

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.

Seriously, you might want to make with the Superman suit photos. Not only do we have rabid superhero nerds here, but there are cosplayers who will want your tailoring secrets.

Welcome to the Rebellion! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask with a post to, well, pretty much any forum. People will be happy to help you out or point you in the right direction.

Good luck on your journey!

• Like 2

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

Sorry, I've been busy with taking care of my girlfriend. She's been recovering from a concussion for the past year and a half, but recently things got in a slipstream. That was quite intens.

I was wondering in the back of my head why there were no responses to the thread. I'm going to dig them up from my archive.

Sorry to keep you waiting. And upping the waiting time even more ;)

Found it! (This is me with super nephew)

As said, basically the secret is velcro. The Clark Kent suit consists of two parts: jacket and trousers.

The jacket
The jacket has a shirt sewn into it. I cut off all excess material and only kept the V-part and collar for filling inbetween the lapels. The buttons on the front of the shirts are replaced by velcro and the tie is sewn on the shirt. The tie isn't around the neck. It's cut off and the end is fumbled into the collar.

The trousers
The trousers have one big alteration: opening the side seam and stitching velcro over the whole length. This should be strong enough to keep the trousers up in normal circumstances, but an extra patch near the top gives more security. Adding the velcro will render the front pockets useless if done with haste. I did it the day before the party. Inspiration usually comes with the right mood: last minute panic. Also: procrastinators unite! (Tomorrow.)

Pro-tip: get the hooks of the velcro facing outwards, away from your body (but mostly your superman suit). They damage the lycra quite easy, which is a shame. The soft velcro side doesn't.
(I got my inspiration for this construction from strippers trousers by the way. If you're stuck or can't figure it out, Google for these.)

I ordered the superman suit from zentai-zentai.com for $80 including shipping. It's nice suit, but the cape attaching is flimsy. To wear the suit properly the cape has to be folded double on your shoulders. Very low tech, but it works. When you rip of the jacket, it falls down nicely.

Hope this helps :)

(In the planning fase there were ideas for making the jacket double up as a backpack, to be hidden underneath the cape. Due to time issues and not wanting to be a hunchback superman, this idea wasn't executed. I'm still wondering how superman dealt with that. Was there some convenient secret compartment in phone booths?)

1978760_10152208936331251_918371420_n.jpg

1512306_10152208936306251_2078255324_n.jpg

1958349_10152208936321251_855582614_n.jpg

• Like 4

But, but.... That was a really nice suit! You destroyed it, you...

fadc6be1f4dba927079a85e047d580c9d8bccb68

Only joking. :P  That is seriously cool, and now I totally want to try it.  Only trouble is I can't be superman, who can I be.... Damn being a girl!  Grrrrr!

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

On 20 juli 2016 at 6:23 PM, Bookish Badger said:

Wow! that was worth waiting for! I'm sure @Guzzi, @M_J, and @Igaduma will agree!

I hope your girlfriend recovers soon - head injuries can be so tricky.

Yep. And we got the deluxe version. 100% recovery is still possible though, according to the neuropsychologist. Fingers crossed.

On 20 juli 2016 at 7:17 PM, Guzzi said:

But, but.... That was a really nice suit! You destroyed it, you...

fadc6be1f4dba927079a85e047d580c9d8bccb68

Only joking. :P  That is seriously cool, and now I totally want to try it.  Only trouble is I can't be superman, who can I be.... Damn being a girl!  Grrrrr!

Yes. It hurt doing it, but it was for a good cause! And it was to big, since I lost a lot of weight.

• Like 1
On 20/7/2016 at 0:23 PM, Bookish Badger said:

Wow! that was worth waiting for! I'm sure @Guzzi, @M_J, and @Igaduma will agree!

I 100% agree! Thank you for posting the pictures and explanation of how you constructed it. Extra thanks for including the hysterically crying Super Baby. Hahaha.

Sorry to hear about your girlfriend's concussion. That is majorly scary. Good luck to her.

• Like 1

"Those who shun the whimsy of things will experience rigor mortis before death."

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

5 hours ago, V for Vetinari said:

I 100% agree! Thank you for posting the pictures and explanation of how you constructed it. Extra thanks for including the hysterically crying Super Baby. Hahaha.

Sorry to hear about your girlfriend's concussion. That is majorly scary. Good luck to her.

He's quite tough actually, but teething gets the best of anyone, right?

And my girlfriend just had a major breakthrough: we got her some special glasses that give her way more energy. Difference like night and day, overnight. Really happy about that :) 

(If there are any nerds around here that are interested in what those glasses do: they contain a small prism to align the horizon of both eyes. She would have double vision, if her body wasn't hellbent on correcting that. The body is very good at adapting to this problem, but is costs tons of energy to do so – which is something she doesn't have right now.)

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

That's great news! Now maybe she'll be able put that energy into healing, rather than seeing clearly. Fingers crossed!

Still a long way to go, but yes, the energy is better spent on healing. It acts as a double edge sword.

• Like 1