Forums are back in action! ×

What DOESN'T belong in the nerd community at large

It's not about the smack talk....yes, that is everywhere and acceptable in pretty much any competitive environment. It is the more specific smack talk he was using. It was focused on her being a girl and quite sexual. Was he asking the guys he was up against to show him their junk and speaking sexually to them? I doubt it. I'd say more, but I'm on my iPhone at the moment, so I'll just leave it at that.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Guest Snake McClain

On the other hand I understand there is a time and place for EVERYTHING. In most sports it's okay to talk crap, smack, or noise to people, opposition or otherwise. In some cases, even butt-smacking is accepted ("Good Game!"). Obviously you can't go around smacking peoples asses and saying good game, but in certain situations, it's just accepted.

I can understand where he's coming from in his defense. In online games, and especially the fighting game community in particular, smack-talking is not only a staple, but is a much more vulgar affair than in other arenas.

All that being said, I think this guy is a completely unprofessional person, with a sense of humor that I care nothing for. I do think that this is being blown way out of proportion, seeing as how Miranda was not even the person who brought up the notion of sexual harassment. Everyone jumping to her defense exacerbates the problem as well. She's an adult, she can defend herself if she needs to. On more than one occasion I've sat back and watched my girlfriend hold her own in a male-dominated fighting game tournament and setting (both in banter and actual game playing). I'm not a white knight here to protect my fair princess from hooligans. I'm a king, she's my queen, and we act thusly.

And to the people that believe that he needs some sort of extravagant punishment: Just stop. It's unnecessary and counter-productive. What he needs is to do is really take into account how this situation is going to affect his life. He might make the decision to make the proper adjustments to his attitude, outlook, and overall being in order to become a better individual. We just have to prepare ourselves for the just as likely chance that he simply does nothing, and continues to be the person he is.

You can't force someone to be better, to change their negative attitude into a positive one, or to be coerced into a different outlook. Everyone who is signed up here should know that more than anyone.

EDIT: I want to fireman carry a Wookie.

okay let me just say that I don't think everyone jumping to someones defense exacerbates a situation. and I doubt he's the type to look at this and say "yeah i was wrong...let me go fix that" I mean...has he done that yet? is anyone following this still? Unprofessional? It's a tournament right? he is on a team? and capcom sponsors the event? and no one said "hey dude you don't get to play anymore because you're harrassing someone"? NO one did this? Really? and this is okay? REALLY?

I'm not trying to be a white night for a lady. I AM trying to stand up for ANYONE that gets bullied or made fun of. It is just completely unacceptable to me. I don't know maybe you haven't been bullied but i used to be super small and scrawny and pimply faced and i got made fun of and beat on BAD! I got it the worste. No one should have to experience that. But the good news is I'm sort of a big bad mother F***er now so I don't have to put up with it. I'm in pro wrestling and anyone that knows ANYTHING about pro wrestling knows there is a ton of trash talking in the back or in practice or whatever. But we all know the line with men/women/overweight/handicapped/whateverthefuckitis individuals and we DO NOT cross it. But then someone does. They QUICKLY get their ass handed to them by someone. Or they don't get booked (hired for matches) any more. People just don't put up with it and that is a very physical and demanding event. This is just video games. This is supposed to be okay?

Let's say this is the olympics. you think that kind of crap goes on there? Or how about at work? "oh it's okay its just some trash talking." uh...no that wasn't.

This is trash talking: "Buy yourself a notebook cuz you about to be schooled dawg." *rap hands*

This is crossing a line: "I will make fun of you specifically because you are different and not because you are less skilled than me."

Not the same thing.

Maybe what I'm saying here is a bit jumbled because everytime I come back to this i get pissed off and my blood pressure rises but seriously this is ridiculous. Forget the sexist thing. It is harrassment and bullying PERIOD and is completely unnacceptable and should not be tolerated to any degree.

I apologize completely, Book. I did not mean to come off as disrespectful or bossy. I just don't like to see myself waste energy on courses of action that may seem to satisfy on an emotional level, but ultimately leave me in a no better position than that one I'm condemning.

Instead, I feel we should be trying to come up with a solution that can prevent something like this happening again. Something along the lines of what PenelopeRevelry was getting at.

No, I'm not saying it's right that offensive banter, jeering, and taunting should be quietly accepted as being a part of that scene. And Icedtrip, you are right, he was definitely singling her out for being a girl, and his quips were very gender and sexual in nature.

Bruce, I have been bullied. I spent about a third of my life in California, a third in Texas, and a third in Alabama. Yes, I've spent a decent chunk of my life in the South, where we can just say that differentism has a tendency to run rampant. I've been fat so I've faced all the jokes that come with that. I've faced bad driving, chopstick wielding, anime watching, small penis having jokes ALL my life, from everywhere. I'm not fan of bullying either, but I am a fan of standing up for yourself. That's how I've dealt with it, because that's how my father taught me to deal with it, and that's how I plan to teach my children (both boys and girls) to deal with it.

As for ramifications that he's facing: he's been banned from commentating at almost every major event, and any event sponsored by Capcom; he's been banned from participating in specific Capcom sponsored events; and there's been much backlash throughout the FGC (Fighting Game Community) in regards to his actions.

My Fitocracy
My Facebook
My PSN: Judo_Panda
My SteamID: Astroboi

Bruce,

You are my hero for the day!!!!! I hate people who bully other...PERIOD and his is the worse kind! I'll help pay for that Tough Mudder if you are strapped for cash and will fly out to see it myself (but for the love of God, no Speedo...when I first read that I threw up in my mouth a little bit) Seriously...YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!

While we are on the deadlifting bear topic, I looked it up and Grizzlies weigh as LITTLE as 350 lbs (or 159 Kg ) and thats the ones in the Yukon, they get much bigger in Alaska and Russia..A lofty goal indeed!!!

I do think that this is being blown way out of proportion, seeing as how Miranda was not even the person who brought up the notion of sexual harassment. Everyone jumping to her defense exacerbates the problem as well. She's an adult, she can defend herself if she needs to. On more than one occasion I've sat back and watched my girlfriend hold her own in a male-dominated fighting game tournament and setting (both in banter and actual game playing). I'm not a white knight here to protect my fair princess from hooligans. I'm a king, she's my queen, and we act thusly.

Miranda is an adult, but what about the next one? What if she can't defend herself? Because guys with this kind of attitude tend to escalate their behaviour. If sexual harassment is acceptable in a certain environment, it will soon be acceptable in other environments. He'll find an explanation about why they're acceptable - like 'well, didn't you want equal rights? Now you have to deal with the bad parts too.' Or 'well, she was asking for it'.

And no, I'm not exaggerating. Accepting this kind of behaviour just encourages the jerk to be an even bigger jerk.

You can ask around NH and I bet a lot of women would say they can indeed take care of themselves and don't want white knights. But respectful, decent human beings? Everyone wants those around.

As for ramifications that he's facing: he's been banned from commentating at almost every major event, and any event sponsored by Capcom; he's been banned from participating in specific Capcom sponsored events; and there's been much backlash throughout the FGC (Fighting Game Community) in regards to his actions.

Hey! That's awesome to hear. Of course, I would love to also hear that he can get a second chance, and an opportunity to redeem himself.

Thank you for sharing that!

For the record, I didn't like the video/challenge idea either, but for mostly different reasons.

Guest Snake McClain
IAs for ramifications that he's facing: he's been banned from commentating at almost every major event, and any event sponsored by Capcom; he's been banned from participating in specific Capcom sponsored events; and there's been much backlash throughout the FGC (Fighting Game Community) in regards to his actions.

good.

Bruce,

You are my hero for the day!!!!! I hate people who bully other...PERIOD and his is the worse kind! I'll help pay for that Tough Mudder if you are strapped for cash and will fly out to see it myself (but for the love of God, no Speedo...when I first read that I threw up in my mouth a little bit) Seriously...YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!

While we are on the deadlifting bear topic, I looked it up and Grizzlies weigh as LITTLE as 350 lbs (or 159 Kg ) and thats the ones in the Yukon, they get much bigger in Alaska and Russia..A lofty goal indeed!!!

I wouldn't go around saying I'm the man. i'm just mad that this went on.

And dude I would HAVE to wear the wrestling trunks. I would wear full wrestling gear and be in character. And probably cut a promo prior to the event. and probably after too.

And deadlifting a small bear would be pretty cool but man I don't want to get clawed. can i just feed it from far away while deadlifting? that is kind of the same right?

Please point me in the right direction for this news because I'm not finding it. Capcom issued an apology and Buttfucktanians just keeps verbal diarrhea-ing about how much more fun video games are when you inform your opponent just how aesthetically attractive they would look with your fist up their ass.

No, but really, this guy needs a used butt-plug for his pie-hole. It'll keep him from causing further damage and maybe get him to drop a pound or two.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

A change of heart. Book, you are correct. He should be punished and then allowed to come back and play in hopes that he can redeem himself. Maybe it was him going on a horrible rant and not his true character...honestly, we dont know. He gets some bench time. If he is allowed to come back in the future, good. Maybe the time off he can get some Miss Manners lessons. Everyone deserves a second chance

I suggest getting a bunch of people together and trying to guess HIS bra size on live internet feed, but I guess that's rather mean-spirited of me :P.

Too funny!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]