Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

The worst are the people that take horrible form to a new lvl, there are these 2 guys that came in last week. Squatting with a belt, bout 80kg on the bar, knees buckling in, nearly tripping forward at times. That was bad enough, but I really really had to bite down on my fist when I heard bro 1 tell bro 2 "deload week sucks I wanna push myself".

But even the trainers have given up on those 2, cause other days you can find em doing deadlifts that look more like catstretches. I really wish they'd do it somewhere else, seeing them makes my back hurt >.<

The worst are the people that take horrible form to a new lvl, there are these 2 guys that came in last week. Squatting with a belt, bout 80kg on the bar, knees buckling in, nearly tripping forward at times. That was bad enough, but I really really had to bite down on my fist when I heard bro 1 tell bro 2 "deload week sucks I wanna push myself".

But even the trainers have given up on those 2, cause other days you can find em doing deadlifts that look more like catstretches. I really wish they'd do it somewhere else, seeing them makes my back hurt >.<

At least they were doing something with their lower bodies.  I was trying on Monday to figure out how to take a picture of this dude without him seeing me (I never did get one).  His upper body was extremely (possibly pharmaceutical) well developed.  The guy had shoulders that looked like bowling balls.  His calfs were about the size of my wrist.  I'm not even joking.

He did have some quad mass and definition, though definitely way out of proportion to his upper body.  Zero anything below the knee.  I was trying to figure out how he could even get a little bit of thigh size going on with NOTHING to show in the calfs, and then it dawned on me: leg extensions.  I bet this guy thinks leg day = leg extensions.  He looked absolutely ridiculous.  Like a living, breathing, bad photoshop.  I bet the circumference of his legs at full calf flex was about nine inches.  I'm surprised he could walk.  

• Like 1

Did I offer advice in my post?  Please keep the following in mind:

• I am not a doctor nor any other kind of medical professional.
  • I am not a lawyer.
  • I am not a mental health provider
  • I am not a nutritionist
  • Your mileage may vary
  • I don't do anything in moderation
  • I have lots of injuries & if you train like me, you probably will too.

Why was it a good idea?

So I can refer to that particular area as "The Kitchen".

b06y7.jpg

Seriously though, marketing. Gold's is starting to cater to as many types of gymmers as possible. While Planet FItness tries to kick out the so-called lunks, Gold's has a section for them.

Another funny thing about that visit, I went inside this room where they were holding a Silver Sneakers program. The old man next to the door looked behind at me and said "Don't. Once you enter, they never let you leave." I kept laughing on the way home.

That was sort of a rhetorical question. I rarely say anything unless I see people at immediate risk of hurting themselves or someone else. It's just... painful!

I usually just watch and wait for a Youtube moment. Like some guy trying to snatch on the platform in socks. Yeah. Let me stand clear and get my popcorn... (He almost slipped and realized that it wasn't such a good idea. Good for him.)

The problem with offering advice when you're a relative newbie is that sometimes it's wrong, no matter how many times you've heard it, or inappropriate to the situation.

I get really frustrated when people feel the need to critique my form when I know they have even less experience and knowledge than I do.

Sometimes it becomes less of a helping hand and more of an assertion of dominance or a way of showing off.

Basically, unless you are genuinely an expert or they're going to injure other people, leave them to it.

This exactly. "Stay in your lane" as my old co-workers always used to say. Unless I personally know the gymmer's story, I let one do one's thing. Democracy permits us to do that. #FREEDOM

I wouldn't walk up to someone at a restaurant and tell a person how to eat their food, even if I was a food expert. "Excuse me, may I offer some advice? You should wait for your soup to cool down. You shouldn't eat your bread that fast." I've never gone to a strip club and told a customer how to maximize the benefits of a lapdance either.

I did however offer this girl some advice at the gym once. I saw her there all the time and she looked like she knew a bit about what she was doing.

"Excuse me. I saw you squatting, and I think you should totally give me your number." She totally followed my advice.

Just kidding. I can't talk to women.

• Like 7

fight school...is that like a step up from fight club?

First rule of fight school: Tell everyone about fight school, because without fresh blood new members, the school withers and dies.

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

This exactly. "Stay in your lane" as my old co-workers always used to say. Unless I personally know the gymmer's story, I let one do one's thing. Democracy permits us to do that. #FREEDOM

"Excuse me. I saw you squatting, and I think you should totally give me your number." She totally followed my advice.

While I totally agree with the point you're making, I feel like I need to point out that we don't live in a democracy.  We live in a Constitutional Republic.

Also, that is awesome.  At least, it sounds awesome.  Hopefully it works as well in practice. 

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

At least they were doing something with their lower bodies.  I was trying on Monday to figure out how to take a picture of this dude without him seeing me (I never did get one).  His upper body was extremely (possibly pharmaceutical) well developed.  The guy had shoulders that looked like bowling balls.  His calfs were about the size of my wrist.  I'm not even joking.

He did have some quad mass and definition, though definitely way out of proportion to his upper body.  Zero anything below the knee.  I was trying to figure out how he could even get a little bit of thigh size going on with NOTHING to show in the calfs, and then it dawned on me: leg extensions.  I bet this guy thinks leg day = leg extensions.  He looked absolutely ridiculous.  Like a living, breathing, bad photoshop.  I bet the circumference of his legs at full calf flex was about nine inches.  I'm surprised he could walk.  

I have a friend that looks like that, actually.  He's got a pretty respectable deadlift, and a decent squat, aside from some form issues left over from when they put his ankle back together (and the subsequent MRSA infection).  The dude is a beast, a former collegiate hurdler, but that broken ankle + MRSA + pins means he hasn't been able to rebuild his calves, even with ~4 years of trying.  It is kinda funny-looking, though.

Are you in Indiana, by any chance?

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

3x5x315. You must be too scary for skinny 20-somethings to approach. Your presence was enough to damage their fragile egos. Their loss.

I get that.  But...if I were to see someone who was benching anything over 300#, I'd ask them for a critique on my form, or tips or something.   Maybe its the difference with being older.  I know I don't know a lot of things and recognize that no one has better insights than someone who has been successful.  Ain't got time for messing around getting information.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled lifts...

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

I get that.  But...if I were to see someone who was benching anything over 300#, I'd ask them for a critique on my form, or tips or something.   Maybe its the difference with being older.  I know I don't know a lot of things and recognize that no one has better insights than someone who has been successful.  Ain't got time for messing around getting information.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled lifts...

It's amazing how much your parents learned as you grew up...

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Are you in Indiana, by any chance?

Nope, nowhere close.

Did I offer advice in my post?  Please keep the following in mind:

• I am not a doctor nor any other kind of medical professional.
  • I am not a lawyer.
  • I am not a mental health provider
  • I am not a nutritionist
  • Your mileage may vary
  • I don't do anything in moderation
  • I have lots of injuries & if you train like me, you probably will too.

So last night a the gym it was hilarious. Some guy was doing interval training on the treadmill and he had the incline cranked as high as it could go. He was sprinting his ass off. levels it back out, then starts to go down hill (evidently the treadmills go into the negative) so he is crankin away then slows to a walk, cranks, walk ect. finally gets done, climbs off the treadmill, takes 3 steps and just collapses. layes there fore a minute then gets up and continues on. it was hilarious......

Said guy was me. my hamstring cramped up so bad after running that I just dropped

• Like 9

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

So last night a the gym it was hilarious. Some guy was doing interval training on the treadmill and he had the incline cranked as high as it could go. He was sprinting his ass off. levels it back out, then starts to go down hill (evidently the treadmills go into the negative) so he is crankin away then slows to a walk, cranks, walk ect. finally gets done, climbs off the treadmill, takes 3 steps and just collapses. layes there fore a minute then gets up and continues on. it was hilarious......

Said guy was me. my hamstring cramped up so bad after running that I just dropped

Walk it off bro...  get back in there

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

When I see those guys at the gym I always think more along the lines of "They're doing something TO their bodies" not with. On the other hand I have to admit I can look back at some of the things I did and think "why did I do that to myself". Which just makes it harder not to go for an intervention.

Heard on the "Just Riding Along" Podcast from Mountain Bike Radio ...

I wonder if there's a Treadmill equivalent?

It's gotta be about hiding dead bodies for 'joggers' to find...

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

What was with the bench pressing? Why would he have the bar set like that?

Didn't watch the whole video but I assume I saw what you were talking about. It's in order to increase instability. Similar to using chains that don't touch the floor. The bar sways and moves and forces you to use more muscle and focus to stabilize it.
  • Like 2

I had my first ever bad gym enounter today. It wasn't the worst thing ever but more of an "Ugh. People!" moment.

I had finished my workout, shower, getting dressed, etc. and needed to get into my locker to get my coat and glasses. I use a day locker, which is first come first serve and in the busiest area of the locker room. People generally stow or grab their stuff and move to another area of the room rather than using the benches right in front of them because the area is so busy.

Today there was a woman sitting in front of the locker I had used. She looked like she was going to take her time so I asked "Could I just grab my stuff out of the locker behind you really quick?" Did she move? Nope. Just stared at me and then proceeded to sloooowwlllyyy carry on with what she was doing--put on boots, laced them up, paused, stared at spiral-y telephone cord keychain bracelet, put it on, sighed, slid hoodie on over arms, stopped and looked around, slid on coat (at this point another woman came up and asked if she could get to the locker above #1's head but #1 just kept going), put on gloves, twisted scarf around neck, looked down and fluffed scarf, slowly leaned forward to pick up bag, stood up, and finally FINALLY moseyed on out of there. This probably took a good 3-4 minutes but felt like forever. Sheesh.

• Like 1

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP