Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

#2 Strongest man, and rocking abs. The guy is my hero.

• Like 2

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I had my first ever bad gym enounter today. It wasn't the worst thing ever but more of an "Ugh. People!" moment.

I had finished my workout, shower, getting dressed, etc. and needed to get into my locker to get my coat and glasses. I use a day locker, which is first come first serve and in the busiest area of the locker room. People generally stow or grab their stuff and move to another area of the room rather than using the benches right in front of them because the area is so busy.

Today there was a woman sitting in front of the locker I had used. She looked like she was going to take her time so I asked "Could I just grab my stuff out of the locker behind you really quick?" Did she move? Nope. Just stared at me and then proceeded to sloooowwlllyyy carry on with what she was doing--put on boots, laced them up, paused, stared at spiral-y telephone cord keychain bracelet, put it on, sighed, slid hoodie on over arms, stopped and looked around, slid on coat (at this point another woman came up and asked if she could get to the locker above #1's head but #1 just kept going), put on gloves, twisted scarf around neck, looked down and fluffed scarf, slowly leaned forward to pick up bag, stood up, and finally FINALLY moseyed on out of there. This probably took a good 3-4 minutes but felt like forever. Sheesh.

Should have helped her tighten that scarf a little more...

When people don't respond to respectfull polite requests it's time to take action. I actually picked someone up of the bench and dumped their ass on the floor a while back. It's a small gym I go to, unfortunately it only has one power rack and 1 bench (lucky me not that many people use it xD). So when someone sits their ass on the bench to text and refuses to move when asked politely I figure it's time to move them. Although it probably only worked out because I'm on good terms with the owners of the gym.

• Like 2

Training in the gym with Jaymul and some douche was doing silly shoulder stuff (for someone else it probably wouldn't be silly but the guy only ever does shoulders and has legs like an emaciated teenage girl for no reason other than "squats are hard"). Having seen him being exceedingly rude in the gym on a number of occasions (deeds rather than words, i.e. barging through someone's set to grab a 2.5kg plate when there was one on the other side of the rack which wouldn't have involved the interruption) I decided to have a little pop.

Sundae: "Shoulders again today."

Beardy guy: "Shoulders and biceps."

Sundae: "I see you still haven't made it to leg day, then." (Very obvious stare at his skinny legs.)

Beardy guy: *uncomfortable mumble and wander off to do more stupid/dangerous crap whilst getting in everyone else's way*

• Like 9

At the gym today I overheard someone say something like, "hhNNNGGUUUHhhh" several times with a few seconds in between. What could it mean?

"Damn this is freakin heavy"

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

At the gym today I overheard someone say something like, "hhNNNGGUUUHhhh" several times with a few seconds in between. What could it mean?

Well when I make that sound (or something similar) it means something like "Fuckin move you piece of scrap"

Getting angry at the bar always works for me :D

Motivation comes in many different form, I suppose.  Still, that's a helluva ringtone for the unwary.

• Like 1

Motivation comes in many different form, I suppose.  Still, that's a helluva ringtone for the unwary.

I had a work colleague whose alert tone featured Gollum. This changed after she woke up in the middle of the night to a disembodied voice whispering "you don't have any friends and nobody likes you."

• Like 5

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

I had a work colleague whose alert tone featured Gollum. This changed after she woke up in the middle of the night to a disembodied voice whispering "you don't have any friends and nobody likes you."

HA!  Wrong on so many levels, but still...HA!

Not something I heard, but saw...

Most people around here don't seem to be too supportive of machines when it comes to lifting, so I had to laugh in a dark humor sort of way when ,on some charts that are sort of a logbook for individuals in a strength class that uses predominantly machines, I saw a note in the corner of one of them...

"Bad Disk, Lower Back"

• Like 3

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Not exactly "overheard" but some....cretin, has take to sticking gum around the squat rack!!

Execution on site!!

• Like 3

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

I posted this to Facebook this week:

Dear gym-bro on the treadmill next to me,

Please let me be the first to congratulate you on surviving what must have been a harrowing experience, nearly drowning in an uncovered vat of Axe Body Spray. I thank you on behalf of the whole gym community for valiantly continuing to smell like an uncovered vat of Axe Body Spray, in what can only be a warning to us all about the dangers of uncovered vats of Axe Body Spray. You are the true hero this day.

‪
#‎
AxeBodySpray‬
‪#‎uncoveredVat

• Like 7

Archer | Fencer | Painter | DM

A call to adventure...

Level 3 Ranger - Current Challenge [2] [1]

STR: 7   |   DEX: 8   |   STA: 7   |   CON: 10   |   WIS: 2   |   CHA: 3

Thank the gods that you pointed the fan away from you.

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss