Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Me: (Sitting up on the bench, on my 4th out of 5 sets at my max. Sweating)

Guy: Hey, how long do you think you'll be?

Me: Just one more set of five and it's all yours. 

(two guys walk past)

Walking guy one: (looks over at me. Looks away. Tries to whisper) I hate when girls are in the weights room. All they do is sit on the equipment and talk. 

Walking guy two: Yeah. 

Me: Hey, I can hear you!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH. 

Put aside the fact that I was literally just about to do my last set and that the only talking I was doing was to let another gym member know how long I was going to be... There are hardly ever any women in the weights room. The one woman I used to see in there now uses the weihgts machines in the cardio area. 

What a tool. He made me so angry and a killed my last set though. So thanks, weird and incorrect misogynist guy. 

• Like 1

Level 1 SheHulk Warrior [str: 1]  [Dex : ]  [sta: ]  [Con: ]  [Wis: 1]  [Cha: ] 

Challenge 2: Project Krisptonite

(two guys walk past)

Walking guy one: (looks over at me. Looks away. Tries to whisper) I hate when girls are in the weights room. All they do is sit on the equipment and talk. 

Put aside the fact that I was literally just about to do my last set and that the only talking I was doing was to let another gym member know how long I was going to be... There are hardly ever any women in the weights room. The one woman I used to see in there now uses the weihgts machines in the cardio area. 

What a tool. He made me so angry and a killed my last set though. So thanks, weird and incorrect misogynist guy. 

Oh. holy shit.

I'd have exploded.  I would have straight thrown the weights down and stood up and thumped my chest and said come at my bro.

go ahead- step to this shit and see what happens.  Get your punk ass the fuck out of here. I'm a paying member and if I am here paying to sit on the fucking bench then so be it. 

Ohhhhh you are waaaaaaaaaayyyyy  nicer than I am.  I would have had a complete and utter fit.  Oh that makes me super hot just reading it.   grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Like 1

OMG BroScience... LMAO great pickmeup for the morning!

(two guys walk past)

What a [donkey]hole! He can think whatever he likes, he's full on wrong. Right now I want to long distance slap him, but really I'd probably have reacted the same way you did... Inconsiderate idiots like that aren't even worth it and wouldn't get it anyways. Though I'd totally love to see I-Jo get chest to chest with them and throw down!

Cee, Level 2 Wood Elf Adventurer of the Earth Kingdom

STR 4.5 . DEX 1 . STA 3 . CON 5 . WIS 8.75 . CHA 4

ch 0|ch 1|challenge 2

(two guys walk past)

1) dude is a dick

2) did he see you do your last set? next time make some noise so he KNOWS you're beasting it

LMFAO

that's probably a good answer too.  I have a harder time with passive annoying actions... I'm snarky and nasty and much MUCH more confrontational

(I have definitely stood toe to toe with a guy easily 200 lbs heavier than me and 6-8" taller- I think if I hadn't been staring UP at him my eyes were in middle of his broad chest- and said fine lets go out side... I would have died- but god damn it- I stood there and ment ever fucking word LOL)

Sometimes if I know people are watching me being judgy judgy. I do my set (pull ups or squats esp-since I take longer breaks between them and then I like fucking moon walk somewhere or do the brady bunch thumb thing and be like bam- what of it!!??

and then I look at them with this look that says- yeah no matter how cool you think you are- you'll never be the squat/moonwalking or pullup/brady bunch dancing kind of cool that I am.

LOL people suck- I'm very sorry you had to deal with that- come lift with me- we'll fix them up right next time!!!

• Like 1

I'm getting noticed in my gym... and got called strong today! (me sooo happeeee) it's weird 'cause i don't tend to talk to people much and since having the odd chat with one of the guys who uses the gym as his base for personal training i've become slightly well known (it's not a particularly big gym but there's some damn strong guys there... but also a tremendous amounts of the types seen in previous pages minus the bosu balls etc... we don't have them, just one swiss ball)

P.S. by the sounds of things you'd either be the best or worst gym partner possible I-Jo, it'd be all kinds of fun but anyone training with you would be having far too much fun to have the energy to work out :tongue:

That's awesome!  You'll find you loose some of that "alone time" as you start talking to people and 'get noticed'  I stopped working out in the aerobics room and now all sorts of people talk to me.  It's worse when i'm lifting b/c clearly I'm doing sets- but everyone knows to not bother me when I have my timer on... it gets hard trying to chase people away- I'm such a talker.  But yeah- it's fun making gym friends- everyone's like.. head down ear buds in- look crazy and mean. I'm like WHY people are so awesome- you can learn so much!!!! :)  But GO YOU!!! 

LOL I don't have work out partners- they think I'm crazy (can you tell?? )

I have had some people try- and they specifically request they want to die- and then they never want to do it again... hysterical.  People seriously do NOT grasp what HIIT and 12 minutes of 10/50 intervals are... they just dont' get it.  (oh are we getting water- NO BITCH KEEP GOING IT"S 12 FUCKING MINUTES SUCK IT UP!)- yeah that doesn't go over very well LOL

Or they invite me to their workout then they get made when all I do is laugh and crack jokes because I do such high intensity stuff- that regular lifting leaves so much time for joking around. And they get made b/c they are laughing and can't lift while laughing.  

So- best/worst would be good way to describe it- I'm very high energy for sure.   :)  I love working out- it's like COCAINE>>>>> FUCKING COCAINE!!!!!!

lol- taking life seriously?  not what I do.

So i was talking with this guy at the gym a while back.  He got a job as a model for Ford.  Totally a bro, but he was cool so i didn't mind talking with him.  One night he was in and doing some sort of circuit.  I, of course, inquired.  He told me it was something to, and i quote, "suck all of the carbs out of his body."

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

I-Jo, I so want to work out with you. I must say, I will probably just die on the floor by the sounds of your HIIT. Don't mind me, though, you keep rockin'. I'll just lay there - doing a sort of dead plank...

Good Guy Gym Story incoming!

I finally got to do squats today - it's my first time lifting and I tried on Monday, but got intimidated as fuck. So today I set myself up and said "like hell I'm leaving here before I learn to do this shit and do at least 2x5 with the bar". Yes, totally new. Aside from watching a shit ton of form videos and doing BW squats.

I tried a set, and noticed a guy behind me kinda watching out of the corner of his eye - I got the feeling he wasn't being judgemental, though, just worried. So I told him I was new to it and asked if he could watch me to correct my form. I did another set of five and he said I was doing good, pointed out I was sitting back well without letting my knees go back over my feet and said it was good. So I was really happy about that. He told me to keep on goin', so I did. :3

And after my sets, another guy came up to the bar - I had gone to get a cloth to wipe it down - and after making sure I wasn't using it, saddled up to get started. He didn't even have to move the bar, he was as around my height and he said cheerfully "Hey, it's my height, too! I don't even have to move it!". So we both laughed and went on our merry ways.

Today was certainly good guy gym day for me.

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

STR 11 | STA 9 | DEX 5 | CON 11 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

ceterum censeo infirmitas esse delendam

CHALLENGE

TAKING OFF THE HAND WRAPS

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V

I work out at a really small gym, so you get used to seeing the same people all the time.  Instead of being a normal person and asking their name, I give them nicknames in my head.  Everyone's got their own weird way of doing things, but at least there have been no douches among the bunch.

There are only 5 trainers and they're pretty knowledgeable guys for the most part and super friendly.  I asked for a spot the other day when I was testing my 1RM on the bench.  Got under the bar and the trainer goes into hyper mode: "Here we go, just one time, you got this, go all the way, etc, etc!"  I burst out laughing and had to wait until the giggles subsided before I could lift.  It took some convincing that he didn't have to be a cheerleader.  I think he was grateful :)

Level 4 Amazon Warrior
STR: 16 | DEX: 5.75 | STA: 9.5 | CON: 9.25 | WIS: 7.5 | CHA: 7.5

FITOCRACY

The best activities for your health are pumping and humping. - Arnold

Quoth the raven "One rep more" - Edgar Allan Bro

I-Jo, I so want to work out with you. I must say, I will probably just die on the floor by the sounds of your HIIT. Don't mind me, though, you keep rockin'. I'll just lay there - doing a sort of dead plank...

Good Guy Gym Story incoming!

I finally got to do squats today - it's my first time lifting and I tried on Monday, but got intimidated as fuck. So today I set myself up and said "like hell I'm leaving here before I learn to do this shit and do at least 2x5 with the bar". Yes, totally new. Aside from watching a shit ton of form videos and doing BW squats.

I tried a set, and noticed a guy behind me kinda watching out of the corner of his eye - I got the feeling he wasn't being judgemental, though, just worried. So I told him I was new to it and asked if he could watch me to correct my form. I did another set of five and he said I was doing good, pointed out I was sitting back well without letting my knees go back over my feet and said it was good. So I was really happy about that. He told me to keep on goin', so I did. :3

And after my sets, another guy came up to the bar - I had gone to get a cloth to wipe it down - and after making sure I wasn't using it, saddled up to get started. He didn't even have to move the bar, he was as around my height and he said cheerfully "Hey, it's my height, too! I don't even have to move it!". So we both laughed and went on our merry ways.

Today was certainly good guy gym day for me.

YAY for you- that's awesome.  :) squatting under the bar is a great feeling- not sure why- but it is.  I do a lot of my hiit workouts with a plate weight or DB's... so when I finally started lifting and got back under the bar I forgot how much I enjoyed the different ways it worked my body.   So good for you for suck it up and having your 20 second JUST DOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTT mode.

:)  meh- you would be fine- my workouts are very much none "win-able"  you don't get good at them- you just suck less.  Which once you do 2 or 3 of them it totally makes sense.  So- it's all about just doing the best you can. i love it.  yes- masochist- I know. don't judge.

I work out at a really small gym, so you get used to seeing the same people all the time.  Instead of being a normal person and asking their name, I give them nicknames in my head.  Everyone's got their own weird way of doing things, but at least there have been no douches among the bunch.

There are only 5 trainers and they're pretty knowledgeable guys for the most part and super friendly.  I asked for a spot the other day when I was testing my 1RM on the bench.  Got under the bar and the trainer goes into hyper mode: "Here we go, just one time, you got this, go all the way, etc, etc!"  I burst out laughing and had to wait until the giggles subsided before I could lift.  It took some convincing that he didn't have to be a cheerleader.  I think he was grateful :)

LOL- There is one at my gym like that- only it's more like rambling stream of conscious- less cheer leadery and more like cracking jokes the whole time- it's amusing.  I like to yell- but I hold it to a minimum because it gets annoying sometimes- late at night when it's just the regulars at like 10 or so- there's lots of ridiculousness. 

Was your 1RM successful?  what was it?  can't tell a story like that and not share!!!

Was your 1RM successful?  what was it?  can't tell a story like that and not share!!!

47.5kg!  And successful on the second try once I taught him how to spot properly.  Just because the bar gets stuck for a couple seconds doesn't mean I won't get it up eventually!!

• Like 1

Level 4 Amazon Warrior
STR: 16 | DEX: 5.75 | STA: 9.5 | CON: 9.25 | WIS: 7.5 | CHA: 7.5

FITOCRACY

The best activities for your health are pumping and humping. - Arnold

Quoth the raven "One rep more" - Edgar Allan Bro

Ok so this wasn't hear/seen at a gym but it is  kinda fitness related and I needed to rant a bit.

I was out for my run last night with my dog it was rain/snowing and a bit chilly.  While we were running I came up behind a woman pushing a stroller and I thought "that's awesome that she is getting out to exercise and bringing her kid along for the ride."  Since I was running I had to pass her and as I passed her a glanced in to the stroller and had to do a double take.....she was pushing her fucking DOGS in the stroller!!!!!!  They were 2 smaller dogs but still had their legs and could have walked.  They also tried to lunge out and attack my dog as we went by.

Firstly dogs are animals that should walk/run politely beside/behind you.

Secondly they're fucking dogs not goddamn babies!!!!

It irritates me soooo much when people do this with their animals!

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

Ok so this wasn't hear/seen at a gym but it is  kinda fitness related and I needed to rant a bit.

I was out for my run last night with my dog it was rain/snowing and a bit chilly.  While we were running I came up behind a woman pushing a stroller and I thought "that's awesome that she is getting out to exercise and bringing her kid along for the ride."  Since I was running I had to pass her and as I passed her a glanced in to the stroller and had to do a double take.....she was pushing her fucking DOGS in the stroller!!!!!!  They were 2 smaller dogs but still had their legs and could have walked.  They also tried to lunge out and attack my dog as we went by.

Firstly dogs are animals that should walk/run politely beside/behind you.

Secondly they're fucking dogs not goddamn babies!!!!

It irritates me soooo much when people do this with their animals!

I remember being shocked seeing dogs wearing shoes and shirts and even diapers!  I don't know, maybe they think it's cute or something (I notice they only do it with small dogs and not large ones).  But as far as I'm concerned it is not cute at all!  I find it disrespectful to make a dog wear a shirt when it has its fur to do the job of protecting its skin.  And shoes?  SHOES!? WTF? 

OtakuBosatsu

Level 1 Lycan. Druid/Monk at heart, training with the Assassins
STR 7|DEX 5.75|STA 4|CON 3|WIS 3.75|CHA 3

My blog, "Zen, Music, and Movement": http://raffyayaladvo.wordpress.com/

I remember being shocked seeing dogs wearing shoes and shirts and even diapers!  I don't know, maybe they think it's cute or something (I notice they only do it with small dogs and not large ones).  But as far as I'm concerned it is not cute at all!  I find it disrespectful to make a dog wear a shirt when it has its fur to do the job of protecting its skin.  And shoes?  SHOES!? WTF? 

I can provide some insight for the shoes/shirt: one of our dogs is a 15 year old rat terrier.  He's spry, happy, and energetic, but the cold has started getting to him recently.  Without putting a jacket on him, his legs just...stop working in the cold.  We have to carry him in, and whatever happens to him that makes his legs stop just wipes him out for the rest of the day.  The shoes are more for snow, but for the same reason.  Sure it looks silly, but I'm not about to let my dog get sick, injured, or die of hypothermia.

Regards,

P