Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

lol I life more weight cleaning up after people than I do in my own workout- it's ridiculous.  My friend MY FRIEND actually left a weight in the aerobics room- and said that's where he found it- I chastised him thoroughly.... he still left it- and I still put it away.

When I saw him again- there was catastrophic amounts of shit giving. 

Second comments "Good, the more it hurts there the more you're doing it right." O.o

I laughed twice reading your post.  Once at the quote.  But the first was that they were using a smith machine.  J/k... I was actually trying to squat with a smith machine this morning.  Sucks.  It feels a little better stepping into it a bit more with your feet in front of your body, but still.  I don't know whether to laugh or cry at my situation.

| LVL1 | Human | Ranger/Monk | Neutral Good w/ chaotic tendencies|

| Male | 33 years | 5'7" |168 lbs | Right-handed |

| STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 2 |

Progress Photos Album

Character attributes: Especially self-critical and self-condemning.  Possesses strong polymathic potential, but circumstances, time and the will toward achieving that potential remain in constant fluctuation. Indecisiveness leads to indecision and determination must be coupled with foreseeable goals. Emotional quotient and empathic ability is high.  However, with indifferent resignation, can be detached from people and places .   

This reminds me! I saw this guy hanging out by the smith machine and I was like, "ohhh no." then he grabbed it like he was going to do pull ups and I was like, "ooh, mad props, bro" but then he proceeded to do crazy ass gymnastic stuff. Pulled himself up and got parallel to the floor.  He did a bunch of crazy shit all over my gym. It was awesome. I think he was just in town briefly b/c I've only seen him one other time. I miss his antics.

Did he happen to be wearing spandex? Cuz that totally sounds like an ETF sighting. 

Today, dudebro was talking about some kind of breathing thing. Like how we only breathe out of one nostril and so you should practice plugging up one nostril for like 5 mins per day so you can only breathe out of the other one. And that way your nostrils will get stronger (?) so you can breathe more and be more awesomer.

Dude. Broscience at its best.

Then....

Then he did curls in the squat rack. Oh yes he did.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Today, dudebro was talking about some kind of breathing thing. Like how we only breathe out of one nostril and so you should practice plugging up one nostril for like 5 mins per day so you can only breathe out of the other one. And that way your nostrils will get stronger (?) so you can breathe more and be more awesomer.

Dude. Broscience at its best.

Then....

Then he did curls in the squat rack. Oh yes he did.

Maybe if I have a cold...

Also, been curling in the power cage recently and really understanding the allure. I mean, being able to pick it off those pins that are just the right height, it's very nice.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Maybe if I have a cold...

Also, been curling in the power cage recently and really understanding the allure. I mean, being able to pick it off those pins that are just the right height, it's very nice.

I don't think many people deny the allure, I think it's just people doing it and occupying the one squat rack in the place for hours when curls don't need to be there and squats do.  Though I guess technically you would be monopolizing your rack too.  I guess as long as Mrs. D isn't waiting to squat.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Guest CyborgNinja

But at least it's your own...at you're at home...and you don't have people waiting to use it.

This doesn't work for me anymore. I have a barbell and some other basic gear at my house, and while that's nice and all and doesn't require any monthly memberships I'm such a darned shut-in that it's nice to have an excuse to go out and at least SEE normal human society once in a while.

I also realized that somehow it's motivational for me to be seen working out. Not in a "hurr look at me in the mirror" kind of way but more like a "look at this bitches, this is how you do it right" kind of way. I can't explain it but something about the attention makes it more satisfying to me to go to the gym. Maybe I'm crazy.

This doesn't work for me anymore. I have a barbell and some other basic gear at my house, and while that's nice and all and doesn't require any monthly memberships I'm such a darned shut-in that it's nice to have an excuse to go out and at least SEE normal human society once in a while.

I also realized that somehow it's motivational for me to be seen working out. Not in a "hurr look at me in the mirror" kind of way but more like a "look at this bitches, this is how you do it right" kind of way. I can't explain it but something about the attention makes it more satisfying to me to go to the gym. Maybe I'm crazy.

I like the gym because it gets you in that "mode".  I don't have barbells at home but I feel like I'd even get a better bodyweight workout done at the gym.  Maybe it's because it's a separate space as well.  And I'm just talking about my traditional, commercial gym.  At my "real" gym I always get a great workout because I'm surrounded by friendly people lifting big weights.

For me, workout quality is home<commercial gym<bestgymevah

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

After a couple difficult sets of squats, a guy came over to me and told me to use the bar pad because it would help keep me stable.  Um, what?

BUT, I nearly have one of the trainers convinced to enter a novice PL comp with me.  He can actually squat 120kg to parallel, but he asked last night if they would allow the bar pad.  Apparently he's been training this entire time with it and you can imagine what a 120kg bare bar would feel like all of a sudden on your back.  So now he's decided to start training without it.  It feels so good to be a positive influence!  Now to convince the other trainers that 1/4 squats are evil.....

• Like 1

Level 4 Amazon Warrior
STR: 16 | DEX: 5.75 | STA: 9.5 | CON: 9.25 | WIS: 7.5 | CHA: 7.5

FITOCRACY

The best activities for your health are pumping and humping. - Arnold

Quoth the raven "One rep more" - Edgar Allan Bro

There is a woman who tries to squat- well sort of- and she cries about the bar EVERY time she gets under there with out the pad. I seriously don't get it- how does 45 lbs hurt your muscles?

It makes me shake my head. 

Some people are frail. Also, a lot of people carry it in the wrong place and it can hurt pretty good.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I had a trainer at my local gym today tell me that Medicine Ball Slams are bad and unsafe to do. When i asked him to enlighten me, he said that they are too much like sledge hammers and that you can easily tear muscles in your back so it is unsafe to yourself. According to him, it is unsafe to others because it is to easy to loose control of the medicine ball. Also our weight area is cantilevered over the gymnastics area and by doing medicine balls I could break some of the substructure and hurt the people below.

My thoughts durring this

BLAH BLAH BLAH* just don't want me doing it because it is a little loud* Blah Blah Blah Damn if I can break the W-beams below us and compromise the structure of a steel reinforced building I am doing pretty freaking amazing. Blah Blah Blah

So I spoke with the director of the gym and I got "special Permission" to go down to the basketball court and do my Medicine Ball Slams AND they are going to consider putting in a seasonal tire gym outback.

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

Wow.  You should have asked him for the free body diagram of that.

I would love to. unfortunately this is one of the guys that also says that squats should only be done on the machine or on the smith machine once you have graduated from the first machine. He also told me that burpees are not good for the knees and that my vibrams aren't good because they don't give enough arch support or enough ankle support. the guy is crazy but good for a laugh at times

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Goal Weight 1000lbs

I would love to. unfortunately this is one of the guys that also says that squats should only be done on the machine or on the smith machine once you have graduated from the first machine. He also told me that burpees are not good for the knees and that my vibrams aren't good because they don't give enough arch support or enough ankle support. the guy is crazy but good for a laugh at times

We need arch and ankle support BECAUSE we don't exercise barefoot and have all these crazy F*$%& shoes!

Speaking of which, I need a new pair of knock around Vibrams, my tread is wearing out on mine and I slip on wet asphalt and floors...

500 / 330 / 625

We need arch and ankle support BECAUSE we don't exercise barefoot and have all these crazy F*$%& shoes!

Speaking of which, I need a new pair of knock around Vibrams, my tread is wearing out on mine and I slip on wet asphalt and floors...

of course! our ancestors used to fashion ankle support and arch support out of rocks and moss. GOD what what I thinking buying something as crazy as barefoot running shoes

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

Estemated 1RM

Goal Weight 1000lbs