Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Me - running to the gym at 11:30 after class on saturday to get in a sprinting session before they close at noon.  Hurried change, jump on a treadmill, kick up my speed, ready to step on, and...!

Gym trainer (in Portuguese): "You know we close at noon, right?"

Me: -annoyed- "Yup, I just need 10 minutes to run."

Gym trainer: "Ok, thanks"

Me: -restarts countdown on treadmill-

(3 minutes later, while I'm POUNDING out a sprint at 16.3kph)

Gym trainer: "We close at noon."  It is 11:45

Me: -ignores and sprints through the set-

Gym trainer: -hovers-

Me: -looks at trainer- "I GOT IT!" -goes back to sprinting-

Gym trainer: -hovers until I finish my set at 11:47

Leave me alone, dude!  I'm panting like hell and running my butt off, plus I'm already tired from teaching for four hours that morning.  I'm here 4-5 days a week, I KNOW WHEN YOU CLOSE!!!

You can't take the sky from me...
Level 4: Coyote Skin-Walker, Hunter, Ranger, Maker Of Dust
6'0" | white female | age: 25 | 42-35-42
CON: 7 | DEX: 8 | STR: 10 | STA: 8 | WIS: 10.5 | CHA: 7
Heaviest: 267.2 | Current: 206.1 | Final goal: 190

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this... 

A while ago I couldn't go to the gym after work as I normally do, due to social plans, so I went to a different gym that's nearby my workplace on lunch break. This gym is quite big and fancy, there's two floors. I went upstairs and I saw this massive tire, like the ones on monster trucks or whatever. I've seen a lot of power lifters, strong man guys and MMA fighters use these things for training, I've never flipped one before so I thought to myself "I'm gonna flip it". 

I squat down at the tire, grab underneath it and I stand up, I manage to flip the tire over. It made a massive THUUUUUD sound and the floor shook. 

Within two seconds, three staff members of the gym came running upstairs, saw what I did and all of them proceeded to just grill me, one by one just yelling at me. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING, THAT'S DANGEROUS!" "YOU COULD HAVE DAMAGED THE FLOOR!" "DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED!" etc.

I apologize frantically and I ask them what the tire is here for, I ask "Isn't it here to be flipped?"

"No, people use it to perform step up exercises and box jumps." 

WHAT... 

Guest Dirty Deads

A while ago I couldn't go to the gym after work as I normally do, due to social plans, so I went to a different gym that's nearby my workplace on lunch break. This gym is quite big and fancy, there's two floors. I went upstairs and I saw this massive tire, like the ones on monster trucks or whatever. I've seen a lot of power lifters, strong man guys and MMA fighters use these things for training, I've never flipped one before so I thought to myself "I'm gonna flip it". 

I squat down at the tire, grab underneath it and I stand up, I manage to flip the tire over. It made a massive THUUUUUD sound and the floor shook. 

Within two seconds, three staff members of the gym came running upstairs, saw what I did and all of them proceeded to just grill me, one by one just yelling at me. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING, THAT'S DANGEROUS!" "YOU COULD HAVE DAMAGED THE FLOOR!" "DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED!" etc.

I apologize frantically and I ask them what the tire is here for, I ask "Isn't it here to be flipped?"

WHAT... 

Seriously? If you go there again, e careful not to squat in the squat rack, they might fine you!

WHAT... 

I suggest taking a sledge hammer with you next time and wackin the shitznit out of it. Then see what they think. Tell them you work out like a champ not a sissy 

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

I don't have any particularly funny quotes, but I do have two gym stereotypes who there are tons of in my gym...

First off, there's a group of three or four curlbros who always come in together, in vests, do curls together in front of the mirror, chat together with major overuse of the word "bro". (In Scotland? Seriously?) They each keep two or three sets of dumbbells in front of them for the whole time, glare at me if I ask whether I could have one of the sets for my dumbbell benches while they're not using it, then eventually put them back in the wrong order. The racks have numbers on them for a reason, folks. Then they hit the bench press, put on around 50-60 kilos and make noises like "nnnggghhhhUUUUUUHHHHH" while they press it, with their "spotter" practically lifting half of it for them. It sounds like they're orgasming. Not quietly, either. It's ridiculous. I've found that Saturday morning is the absolute best time to go to avoid these guys - I assume this is because they're all too hung over.

Then you also have a lot of young professional ladies who go before work, like I do. I get a lot of 'looks' from this group (my peers I suppose), I assume because I lift weights and then go change into my office clothes with Doc Martens and blue hair. But, they get a lot of 'looks' from me, for doing cardio with magazines and dangly jewelry, then chatting in the changing room about how maybe they should do Pilates so they can get stronger without building muscle (???) or maybe they should do the Spinning class instead because the guy who runs that one is cuter.

Sigh. I miss my old gym.

Those are required in order to open a gym. You must have at least 3 'bros' who can come up with 14 different curls and it's also mandatory they skip leg days.

Yall are making me self conscious. At higher weight/rep combinations I 'loudly exhale'....

• Like 1

Actually, I used to roll 'em up beforehand & roll 'em on [like condoms]

The wet feet just vex me.  And one time I turned a toe really badly while fumbling a sock on, but my foot was numb from the lake so the pain only came in later on the run.  

YM, as always, MV.  I was never a very good triathlete...

Seriously? If you go there again, e careful not to squat in the squat rack, they might fine you!

Haha! I know, right? No no, it's not like Planet Fitness... :tongue: <Ba dom chi>

They do have a squat rack. They got one. I've never seen anyone use it except for me. Maybe it's like the Twilight Zone. "Enter... the Squat Rack." Seriously, it's located in a corner behind a wall, it's like they're trying to hide it.

I suggest taking a sledge hammer with you next time and wackin the shitznit out of it. Then see what they think. Tell them you work out like a champ not a sissy 

To be honest, I try to avoid that gym ever since the tire incident. :tongue:

• Like 1

I was doing my workout today and there were two guys curling in front of the mirror the whole time I was on the bench. I was putting up my weights to move on to rows and I heard this:

"And that's bicep day, pretty quick and easy. 350 reps of curls swells your arms up good."

"Want to do a couple more sets on the cables"

"Sure, you can't ever overwork your bi's"

I kept waiting for a bro in there somewhere. They were nice enough to spot my last heavy for me though.

<facepalm>

that's awesome.

My friend and I were actually goofing off and he pulled the bar down and curled 85- pretty straight in the squat rack.

I was like you feel like a dirty whore don't you.  He said yes and hung the bar up and went home and showered.  we chuckled tremendously.

Overheard in the parking lot (waiting for AAA to come unlock this fellows keys from his trunk)

"I go pretty hard at the gym...."

but i like to help people- so you know I stopped to help these girls- then I got cooled down and really slowed me up....

the guy is in his 40/50's and while he works- he would not be someone I consider to be "a go hard" kind of guy- so that made us laugh- a LOT.

He also said he was too scared to do any sort of dead lifting- which amused me- just couldn't- too scared.  

shrug.  okay dude- cause the ab wheel you have is REALLY not dangerous at all (those things are no fucking joke what so ever)

WHAT...

I would have loved to have seen their faces. And yours.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Tis wasnt overheard at the gym but there is one guy who comes when ever the yoga class is on, and he will do a set of whatever exercise, then go to the pathway in clear visibility of the yoga room and will just stretch and flex, lift his shirt etc while watching the girls....

Sunday morning is meatheads only.  There's only one air-con blower working, so between sets everyone is congregating under it like lizards under a sun lamp.  I realised we were in fact an atomic nucleus: the attractive force of the cold, and the repellent force of each others' radiant body heat; this behaviour could be modelled in a physics package!

^Yerp.  I really need to find one near me. I wish I now lived where I grew up, 15 minutes from Iron Sport.  Just found out today one of the people there is on the JTS team...

edit: Look at their banner! I wanna workout there... http://www.ironsport.com/

Come on, guy! I'm working with one bench and two squat racks here, that's just teasing. 

Ok, newest pet peeve. 3 big out of shape guys go into the area next to me to do deadlifts. Which is cool - I'm glad to see anybody training. But, they load up 3 plates on each side, do a bunch of sets, and then leave the barbell with weights still on. Along with other plates scattered around the area. This was super annoying, because I was also planning on doing deadlifts, and assumed at first that they would be coming back. Nope. They left all their crap there, despite the signs all over the gym asking people to put away their weights. And despite, you know, common sense and courtesy.

This is like the 5th time I've seen someone do this. Really people? We're not impressed by how much you just lifted. We're annoyed that we now have to put all your crap away.

Argh! This happened to me the other day. The guy left the room for 20 minutes, then came back. I went to do my deadlifts using his barbell, I asked him, "Have you finished with this?" and he said, "I wasn't using it". Er, yeah you were, we are the only two people in here. 

WHAT... 

This makes me sad. 

Level 1 SheHulk Warrior [str: 1]  [Dex : ]  [sta: ]  [Con: ]  [Wis: 1]  [Cha: ] 

Challenge 2: Project Krisptonite

Argh! This happened to me the other day. The guy left the room for 20 minutes, then came back. I went to do my deadlifts using his barbell, I asked him, "Have you finished with this?" and he said, "I wasn't using it". Er, yeah you were, we are the only two people in here. 

I seriously spend 10 minutes every time I go to my gym putting weights back where they are supposed to go.  Its the main reason why I bought this shirt and wear it every time it's clean and I'm heading there:

put-your-weights-back-z.jpg

• Like 2

One of our lot tried to clean some heavy-ass dumbbells up to the top rack (which is for little 10kg-and-under dumbbells), missed it and gave his finger a nasty slice between the weight and the rack.

We tried not to laugh.  There was quite a lot of blood, after all.  :)

some kid was doing walking lunges with 2 twenty pounders today- he had his head phones on and I was with someone- and had since moved to the near by leg press.... I missed him getting up and walking away- he left them shits right there on the floor in the middle of the aisle. 

IGNORANT... FUCKING IGNORANT.

You make me angry tiny  kid with the mini mohawk. I'll get you next time.

I'll get you next time.

• Like 1

I did a yoga class yesterday at a different gym and during 45 minutes of the hour class the instructor played techno and pop music. WTF!

Add to that the only man wearing his baseball cap during the entire workout. He spent most off the time sitting looking around instead of doing any of the moves.

Strangest yoga class ever.

Skye Rose - Seeking Balance 
Current Challenge

Inspiration and genius--one and the same. - Victor Hugo

Fall seven times and stand up eight - Japanese proverb

i'd just put my rings up on the squat track (best place for them, you can still squat and it's empty half the time anyway... don't hate) to do some dips and a guy comes up to me and asks how long i'll be saying 'i'm going to do dips'... 'dips?' i say, 'yeah' he replies, 'for your legs' then does a little half squat. 'Ah squats!' i say, still slightly confused and he replies 'yeah, i get them confused sometimes' he then goes on to do some half decent squats to depth (tight in abductors, hams and calves by the looks of things but damn fine for my gym)

how the hell do you mix up dips and squats?

guys curling in the squat rack  :nightmare:

my vainy traps as a squatted shirtless 'cause it's FREAKING BOILING!!!!!!! :P even with an industrial sized fan pointing in my general direction

Yeah, the boiling is bad for me right now as well. I keep the t-shirt on for squats but it's off for everything else.

I think he was asking you what dips were, assuming they were a leg workout since you were in the squat rack?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Right now I'd be happy to overhear anything in the gym, even the really crazy stuff, because it would mean that I'm allowed back in the gym. In the meantime, I'll live vicariously through the rest of you.

BTW, I actually kind of like the idea of calling the tiny-ROM squats "dips" instead of calling them squats, because it's really a more accurate visual description of what they're doing! Too bad "dips" is already taken. Any other ideas for names?

• Like 1

i usually keep shirt on especially for squats, just slung my shirt over the bar, got enough bar burns on my back from BNPP and nah, he did think squats were called dips, it led to some confusion with what i was doing (when i said that i was doing dips) but he definitely thought squats were dips

Right now I'd be happy to overhear anything in the gym, even the really crazy stuff, because it would mean that I'm allowed back in the gym. In the meantime, I'll live vicariously through the rest of you.

BTW, I actually kind of like the idea of calling the tiny-ROM squats "dips" instead of calling them squats, because it's really a more accurate visual description of what they're doing! Too bad "dips" is already taken. Any other ideas for names?

wimpishness

allowed back in...?