Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

BTW, I actually kind of like the idea of calling the tiny-ROM squats "dips" instead of calling them squats, because it's really a more accurate visual description of what they're doing! Too bad "dips" is already taken. Any other ideas for names?

How about "Geralds"?

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

We got some surprise snow last night, so the girls lacrosse team was in the gym today while I was working out. I walled myself off with barbells, but I did hear this from the coach:

"Go for the 5s or the 8s, nothing more than 10. You don't want to put too much strain on your knees." They were doing some strange hybrid lunge/curl/press back and forth through the weight room. Meanwhile, I was doing lunges with a 45 pound plate, which I almost dropped on my foot trying not to laugh.

What sort of ridiculous stuff have you overheard that might be a little...misguided.

haha this is my favorite thing to over hear! their purses probably weigh more! 

Human Adventurer

Level 1

STR: 3   DEX: 1   STA: 1   CON: 3   WIS: 4   CHA: 3

Smile, listen, agree...then do whatever the fuck you wanted to do anyway- RDJ

< To TRY to return to topic >

I'm sure the Guido's & Guidette's have some interesting convos while they're Gyming [before Tanning and Laundry-ing], but since I have my headphones on, I can't hear whatever Sparkling Gems of Wisdom they might be bringing to the Table

Yeah, if there was a way to be in the Weight Room with an Invisibility Cloak and Sound Absorbing Footwear, so no one at all would know I was there, I'd probably do more strength training

I was at the gym once on a treadmill behind a pair who could only be described as Barbie and Ken. They never got past 3.5mph, and Ken almost fell off the treadmill like 4 times... Who comes to the gym in full make-up, hair done, and spends 15 minuted WALKING before complaining that they are too tired to continue... oh the amusing things at the gym!

Human Adventurer

Level 1

STR: 3   DEX: 1   STA: 1   CON: 3   WIS: 4   CHA: 3

Smile, listen, agree...then do whatever the fuck you wanted to do anyway- RDJ

I've never really heard anything funny at the gym, but there is one thing that always strikes me as odd.

Every time I go to the gym in the morning I see the same 3 women. They're all on the cross-trainer machines working up a real sweat. They're there before me, and still there when I leave. I mean they must spend over an hour on those things and they never do anything else! The funny thing is that they're all carrying a little extra weight, and as far as I can tell, haven't lost a single pound between them in over a year. I sooo want to cry out "Mix it up a bit! Change your routine!!"

They're all pretty damn good on a cross-trainer though ;)

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I saw the weirdest thing today. These two guys are usually there the same days as me, and their workouts consist of bench, bench, dumbbell press, and more bench. For like an hour and a half. I think I may have seen them one time on the calf raise machine, but as skinny and neglected as their legs are, it didn't help much.

Anyway, today one of them had this crazy rubber contraption thing that he strapped across his chest and under his arms, so that they were out at an angle that made him look like Robocop. And then he did this up and down motion, while holding 5 pound weights. I wish I had a picture, but there is honestly no way to describe what I saw accurately.

I saw the weirdest thing today. These two guys are usually there the same days as me, and their workouts consist of bench, bench, dumbbell press, and more bench. For like an hour and a half. I think I may have seen them one time on the calf raise machine, but as skinny and neglected as their legs are, it didn't help much.

Anyway, today one of them had this crazy rubber contraption thing that he strapped across his chest and under his arms, so that they were out at an angle that made him look like Robocop. And then he did this up and down motion, while holding 5 pound weights. I wish I had a picture, but there is honestly no way to describe what I saw accurately.

Maybe they were bands and they were doing it wrong?

Isn't that what preacher curls are for?

yeah but you can do em standing up and you look way more hench doing them like that

Found it! It was this thing:http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0042JHTKE/ref=mp_s_a_1_19?qid=1374594105&sr=1-19π=SL75

If the guy was really using it for rehab, I understand, but I wish he would realize that workouts consisting only of various benching exercises is the problem in the first place.

dafuq?

Found it! It was this thing:http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0042JHTKE/ref=mp_s_a_1_19?qid=1374594105&sr=1-19π=SL75

If the guy was really using it for rehab, I understand, but I wish he would realize that workouts consisting only of various benching exercises is the problem in the first place.

I have actually used one of those back in my boxing days. I used it to isolate my shoulders with light weights because I was recovering from a torn rotator cuff. IT really works your shoulders and it helps because you won't drop your elbows due to fatigue

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

heard today... a gigantic crash as one of the 8 foot florescent lights crashes down after some numpty tried for a high kick on the punch bag upstairs and fell on his arse... c'etait moi :P

tbh it could of done someone some serious damage... luckily it was directly over deadlift/squat area which isn't used all that often

i have it on good authority that the attempted kick looked hilarious so alls well that ends well and don't worry i cleaned up the mess 'cause i'm nice like that

So tomorrow I'll be heading off to a con and I'm already dreading the fact that I'll miss my workouts and eat nothing but junk food for the whole weekend. There is literally no other options besides grills and one small convenience store (which helps little since there's no option to cook). And yeah, I know I could still do bodyweight stuff, but I'll probably lack the time and energy and frankly, would rather not sweat that much since getting to shower is such an ordeal there.

#GeekFitnessProblems

On a more positive note, my new hair is awesomesauce, even though I chose not to cut it short. I'm loving my sci-fi-stic bangs. <3

You sir/mam are off topic.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

you sir/mam are on the ball, 7 minutes! petty snappy :tongue:

That's what they don't pay me for.

Technically...it's ma'am.....

Than I'll fix it next time.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

*Then :tongue:

P.S. 

That was the point sir. Also, I approve of squatting curl racks. I'm gonna do that next time I see that happen in a gym, walk it right over to the curl bro.

500 / 330 / 625